Should I get a 7-string? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Should I get a 7-string?

I'm keen to get another guitar, so I can play around with lower tunings, whilst keeping my main guitar in E standard.

I play a wide range of metal, including power, thrash,
death and doom/stoner, but have little interest in djent or nu-metal. A lot of my favourite power metal bands (e.g. Blind Guardian) use E♭ standard tuning, while stoner can be anything from Drop C to A.

I currently have an Ibanez XPT700 (Xiphos), which I love and got at a bargain price of £210 used, so that was an easy decision. This time around, I'm finding it much harder to choose something, because my local stores have very limited stock and I don't really know what I'm after. An RG would be a fairly safe option, as it would be similar to my Xiphos and I'm a fan of thin Wizard necks.

A 7-string could be fun, but I'm not convinced I would make use of the increased range and I'm concerned I might find the neck uncomfortably thick. If I get a 6-string, I believe a fixed bridge is a must for down-tuning, but even then I'm left with a much wider choice than with 7-string. I'm fairly convinced that I want HH pick-ups.

I don't have a strict budget, but wouldn't go much over £500 without good reason. Essentially, I'm after 'bang for buck'. I would rather save up for another six months, or get used instead of new, to get the best guitar I can.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Banned

Re: Should I get a 7-string?

Yes buy one.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 PM

The transition from 6 to 7 isn't too bad. The low B or A is awesome to have. I don't like dropping a 6 string down because you shift the entire tonal range of the guitar down, as opposed to just extending the existing range of the guitar
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:03 AM

My advice would be to test some out if your local shops have some available to get a feel of what your looking for if your budget limits you to just the one guitar (for starters).

I play metal & possibly share similar tastes from your description (more old school thrash though really), but like to have guitars tuned differently.

I bought a seven string & find while I do play it fairly often I am more of a six stringer but I do like to have the option for extra depth.

It is a little different when picking up originally but nothing that you can't get around. When swapping back to six string it just feels skinner that I had previously thought.... & some times go for a string that's no longer there ...doh!

I very picky about guitars and look around for a while before I buy & like to try them first.

Personally I would not advise you to buy new. If bang for quid is what you are after best value I have always found is second hand. You can buy virtually new guitars with massive savings if you are selective & have the patience to wait for something that is of interest.

All the best,

RG Bargie
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Yes, you should. Look at a used RG1527 or 7620, in your budget. And, if you want some pointers on using the extended range musically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvcekdVJJLQ
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG BARGIE View Post
My advice would be to test some out if your local shops have some available to get a feel of what your looking for if your budget limits you to just the one guitar (for starters).

I play metal & possibly share similar tastes from your description (more old school thrash though really), but like to have guitars tuned differently.

I bought a seven string & find while I do play it fairly often I am more of a six stringer but I do like to have the option for extra depth.

It is a little different when picking up originally but nothing that you can't get around. When swapping back to six string it just feels skinner that I had previously thought.... & some times go for a string that's no longer there ...doh!

I very picky about guitars and look around for a while before I buy & like to try them first.

Personally I would not advise you to buy new. If bang for quid is what you are after best value I have always found is second hand. You can buy virtually new guitars with massive savings if you are selective & have the patience to wait for something that is of interest.

All the best,

RG Bargie
Hi RG Bargie,

Thanks for the advice. My problem is that I only have two nearby stores and neither has great stock for what I'm after. Decent selection of cheap beginner guitars and Fender/Gibson, but very limited choice for anything else. That leaves me relying on second-hand information to assist my choices.

Last time I bought a guitar, I narrowed it down to a Xiphos / Warrior. I managed to test a Warrior and an RG. I liked the RG's wizard neck and the look/feel of the Warrior, then happened to find an XPT700 for £210 used. Luckily for me, it has my favourite qualities of each guitar, rather than the opposite way around

This time, I wanted a 'standard shape', but not a typical Strat / Les Paul. Pick-guards are generally a big turn-off for me and I prefer things that aren't totally generic. I tried a Schecter C1 Hellraiser a few years ago and wasn't a fan. I never seem to be in the right place at the right time to spot a bargain mid/upper-range RG/Soloist in a nice finish (in my fussy opinion).
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

All the best,

RG Bargie
Now that I've bored you with a long (and retrospectively pointless) reply:

I've just bought a used S2170SE Prestige. Picking it up at the weekend

Not the best Prestige Ibanez has ever made, but it's better than I had anticipated being able to afford, looks amazing and it's an absolute bargain!

Looks like I'll scrapping my original plan, instead using the new guitar in E standard and the Xiphos in D standard etc. I'll stick with the Xiphos' D Activators, but seriously doubt I'll keep the Saber's stocks for any length of time. I had been thinking along the lines of an RG with BKP Warpigs / Nailbombs. Think that would work well in the S?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM

Wow you don't hang about!

The answer was Yes then ... you should. lol:

Had I suggested a guitar I would have leant towards the previously recommended RG1527 in your range, but I suppose the that's all the by the by now.

I don't know much/have any experience with the S2170SE but it looks pretty cool. Enjoy.

Anyway looking forward to see a NGD thread!?

RG BARGIE
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow you don't hang about!
I wasn't actually in that much of a rush to buy, but I've always liked the look of the S series fell in love with this one as soon as I saw the ad.

As I still don't have a 7-string, at least I can make an excuse to buy another guitar further down the line
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Knight_ View Post
Now that I've bored you with a long (and retrospectively pointless) reply:

I've just bought a used S2170SE Prestige. Picking it up at the weekend

Not the best Prestige Ibanez has ever made, but it's better than I had anticipated being able to afford, looks amazing and it's an absolute bargain!

Looks like I'll scrapping my original plan, instead using the new guitar in E standard and the Xiphos in D standard etc. I'll stick with the Xiphos' D Activators, but seriously doubt I'll keep the Saber's stocks for any length of time. I had been thinking along the lines of an RG with BKP Warpigs / Nailbombs. Think that would work well in the S?
I have an S2170FW, pretty good guitar if you ask me, i don't care if its a Korean Prestige as my main reason for buying it was that gorgeous top but anyway i actually like those IBZ/DiMarzio pups but we may have different tastes, please post an NGD thread when you get the guitar, here is a pic of mine:

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
I have an S2170FW, pretty good guitar if you ask me, i don't care if its a Korean Prestige as my main reason for buying it was that gorgeous top but anyway i actually like those IBZ/DiMarzio pups but we may have different tastes, please post an NGD thread when you get the guitar, here is a pic of mine:

Nice! All three top options look great.

What tones would you say the IBZ pickups are well suited to?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:51 PM

Yes you should.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I wasn't actually in that much of a rush to buy, but I've always liked the look of the S series fell in love with this one as soon as I saw the ad.

As I still don't have a 7-string, at least I can make an excuse to buy another guitar further down the line

A-ha, I see just looked at photo (assumed it was a 7 string - derr).

Anyway, back to your budget & what I have seen kicking around (good condition) have seen RG1527's (although these seem to be fetching a little more for some reason at the moment) & even a couple of k7's recently in the past couple of months.

RG Bargie
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Nice! All three top options look great.

What tones would you say the IBZ pickups are well suited to?
Honestly i think they're just hot enough to be able to play anything, let me see if i can record you some sound samples when i get home.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Honestly i think they're just hot enough to be able to play anything, let me see if i can record you some sound samples when i get home.
Picking it up today, so then I'll find out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode