Should I go RGA-only? XD - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Should I go RGA-only? XD

Hey guys, I have 2 Ibanez guitars: A Jem7vWH, and an RGA121, ever since getting my RGA i've strung it with 10s, put a Breed neck and D-Sonic bridge in it and it's been my main player, I absolutely love how it plays and sounds.

I hardly ever play my Jem anymore, the only time I ever play it is when I'm feeling guilty about having the guitar I saved up for for so long sat in its case, or I (even more rarely) need to use a floating bridge.

I'd really love to get hold of an RGA321...

So should I trade/sell my 7vWH for an RGA321 (+ cash obviously), or keep it, or wait to see what comes out this year at NAMM?

Oh and also, RGA321 owners please post pics

Bit of a pointless thread but meh I hope other Jemsite users will have been in similar situations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Re: Should I go RGA-only? XD

I'll trade you my RG370dx for your Jem. You wont feel bad for not playing it, and youll make a kid happy.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lemons View Post
I'll trade you my RG370dx for your Jem. You wont feel bad for not playing it, and youll make a kid happy.
Thanks for the offer.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:01 PM

Wait for namm for sure , , i know that the barrier many have is that you cant go from a D-sonic to evos, it just doesnt work its either or, so if the 20th isnt all its cracked up to be, get an older jem with pafs or breeds and youll probablu like it alot more. (unless you want to replace the gold poled evos)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Waiting for NAMM is probably a sensible thing as I'm in no rush to get rid of my Jem.

I quite like the sound of Evos actually, It's purely the feel of the RGAs I love, and I'm really going off the look of the 7v too, tisn't really me I don't think. Whereas I'd like to think this is: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...082993x660.jpg

If there was a J-Custom RGA that'd be awesome.

I'd really like to get an RGA321 then maybe another cheap 121 to mod, although a 321 with a maple fretboard would look awesome As would one of the quite rare 121s in black with an ebony fretboard. *Dreams*
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:12 PM

I dont like the finish on the 121, im not sure why too much space maybe. It seems like youve started liking a very different guitar to the 7v. Theres no point having a $3000 guitar thats better than your main guitar, that you wont play very much anyway.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 AM

I'm hoping they come out with more RGA variations at NAMM this year although I'm not holding my breath. I have an RGA 121 like yours but a new RGA321 in some color other than that ugly (imo) blue or the always boring black would certainly be cool. How about a tiger eye AAAAA quilt top? Ok, I know we'll have to hear the ice in hell crackling before that would ever happen, but a guy can dream, can't he?

That Gibraltar bridge is awesome. I wish more of their guitars had that. Ibanez should really consider offering the pieces of their guitars separate so you could mix and match and build your own. They could build necks with rosewood boards and with maple boards and you choose your preference. Then do the bodies with your choice of bridge...ok, you caught me dreaming again. I'll stop.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
That Gibraltar bridge is awesome.
How is this bridge compared to a string-through-body body bridge like on the Dean guitars (it's called tune-o-matic I believe)?

Thanks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
How is this bridge compared to a string-through-body body bridge like on the Dean guitars (it's called tune-o-matic I believe)?

Thanks
The Gibraltar is recessed and a lot more comfortable to me. I have a Schecter with the tune-o-matic like the dean and I'm not going to say it's bad, just that the Gibraltar is a lot smoother/more comfortable.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 04:58 AM

I think you answered your own question.
You hardly play the JEM anymore. Even though its a lovely guitar, if your hands prefer the RGA121 thats all that counts. Theres no getting round it, you obviously prefer the RGA all-round in terms of playability and feel. So in the long run I would get rid of the JEM and get another RGA. Whether it be a 121 or 321.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 AM

my RGA121 (JB/Jazz equiped) gets more play time on stage than *gulp* Elvis (my 7vwh) and i only play the RGA121 for one song all night (drop C tuned for "Figure You Out). i love the tones from the RGA, the looks and the feel (even though the neck is a tad wider than the average RG/Jem) and since it doesn't have a thick clear coat it'd be easy to refinish with a different color stain and lightly clear coat.
if i didn't love the way my RGA sounds so much drop tuned, i'd be using it more for standard tuned stuff - but it just sounds awesome drop tuned.
i have a string thru body, set neck Schecter Blackjack C7 and the tone on that is great as well as the overall look and feel. good bang for the buck on those. i want the PT Blackjack
the guitar i use most often is my ugly, old ESP "The Mirage" with EMG's.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 07:17 PM

Play what feels and sounds best to you. Don't worry about whose name is on the headstock, or what the model number is.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Im probably the last guy who should say this, but what;s the point of only having 1 type of guitar?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Im probably the last guy who should say this, but what;s the point of only having 1 type of guitar?
Well they'd definitely have different pickups that's for sure
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
If you set them up with different pickups or different tunings, you can get a more consistent playing feel between multiple guitars, while still having a different sound.

I'd say go for the 321. Anyone wanna post some pics of theirs?

Tags
clear coat , ebony fretboard , ibanez guitars , maple fret , maple fretboard , rosewood board , rosewood boards , string thru body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode