Should I keep my pearly Epi LP? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Should I keep my pearly Epi LP?

A while ago I bought an Epiphone LP "Extreme" in a white pearloid finish. It's a really nice guitar, and well worth the cash I paid for it.
Since then I spotted one in another auction, and the seller claimed that only 400 were made (200 in white and 200 in grey) - he claims he'd contacted Gibson and they told him this (sounds like bull to me..).

I contacted Gibson and they say that they don't release/keep production numbers. I contacted Rosetti (Gibson's UK distributor) and they say they never imported any LP Extremes, other than the crackle finish ones. I mailed the shop I got it from and they don't seem to know much about it either but they do say they're still getting emails from people wanting them.

So.. I'm currently thinking about selling it, along with the smashed up BC Rich 7 string that I'm never going to get time to fix up and buying something like a secondhand RG7620. I'm a bit torn though, as I'll kick myself if I sell it and then find out that it really was collectable.

Anyone got any suggestions/thoughts?
Here's a pic with it in anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:39 AM

Before you do anything research your ass off! There must be someone who knows something about it - post it on loads of guitar forums ETC. There is no point in letting it go for silly money if it really is collectable - and if you do, Ill have it lol
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I don't think it's anywhere near as limited as that guy claims, surely if there were only 400 they'd be individually numbered?

I was going to say how much I bought it for but maybe I shouldn't in case I want to sell it here...
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:03 AM
dex

I'm not too clued up on Epis but the peghead looks like a Japanese made one and if it is it means it was made in the exact same factory our beloved Jems come from.
Fuji Gen Gakki also make Tokai as far as I'm aware.

I think I've seen a real Gibbo Custom shop in gray perloid finish but for the life of me can't remember where.
[sly]So, what'd you pay for it[/sly]

ilia
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa-db
I was going to say how much I bought it for but maybe I shouldn't in case I want to sell it here...
Actually, it's more respectable if you are open about how much the guitar is worth and how much you bought it for, rather than trying to rip us off.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Actually, it's more respectable if you are open about how much the guitar is worth and how much you bought it for, rather than trying to rip us off.
Steady on, I'm not trying to rip anyone off!

Out of interest, what about when the guitar is worth more than the price paid?
For example, if you found a nice Jem in some hidden pawn shop and got it for £150, would you be guilty of ripping anyone off if you advertised it for say £800? I'm not saying my epi is worth loads more than I paid for it but you get the idea.

I don't want any arguments, and in all honesty if I do decide to sell, I probably would tell anyone who asked how much I paid.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:58 AM

Well, buying a cheap guitar, that's worth more, and selling it for way more than you bought it for is basically just trying to get money out of the deal. If you were only set back $150, then why sell it for $800 other than to get $650 in your pocket? Why not be nice and unload a beautiful guitar on someone who can't afford a new one? You could even sell it for $200, and earn $50 out of the deal so you're not losing money, you're gaining.

My point is, you can tell them how much you paid for it, and how much it's worth, and people will congratulate you on the good deal, until you jack up the price to the point that you're just trying to make some money on the deal.

My point is: If you are out $150 for a guitar, then selling it should at least pay back that much, and maybe a little extra if you want. But selling it for a much higher amount is just greed in my opinion.

But I guess that's all it is, opinion.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I can see your point, but as I said I'm not out to rip people off or take advantage, ask dex he bought my Jem (for £5 more than I paid for it, and I gave him a headstock logo that cost £10).

aaaaaanyway - should I sell it or hang to it in case it does turn out to be collectable?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:26 AM

I think that it looks really great, unique...I'd keep it if I were you. you've got two other seven strings, another 7620 doesn't give you an additional guitar tone...just more of the same. Variety is the spice of life. If you sold it, I'd bet you'd regret it and your chances of finding another are slim.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:34 AM
dex

LMAO.
I did offer to buy you a hot chocolate and a muffin while I was trying the guitar but you declined.

The story is true, I got a VBK that would have sold for at least £100 more as even Jono and Paul (Pablo) said at Jemfest they would have paid £600 for it.

ilia
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
I think that it looks really great, unique...I'd keep it if I were you. you've got two other seven strings, another 7620 doesn't give you an additional guitar tone...just more of the same. Variety is the spice of life. If you sold it, I'd bet you'd regret it and your chances of finding another are slim.
I've only got one other 7 string which is a damaged BC Rich I bought from a friend for £50. I was planning on getting a new body made and stuff, but I don't think I'll ever get around to it.
At the moment I have the Epi LP, RG620QM (definately a keeper) and the BCR 7 string, so I'd probably sell the LP and BCR to pay for a new 7 string.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
If you were only set back $150, then why sell it for $800 other than to get $650 in your pocket? Why not be nice and unload a beautiful guitar on someone who can't afford a new one? You could even sell it for $200, and earn $50 out of the deal so you're not losing money, you're gaining.
Ummm , if you can earn 800... why not take it , if you sold it for 200 dollars someone else would buy it to sell for more!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Quote:
If you were only set back $150, then why sell it for $800 other than to get $650 in your pocket? Why not be nice and unload a beautiful guitar on someone who can't afford a new one? You could even sell it for $200, and earn $50 out of the deal so you're not losing money, you're gaining.
Ummm , if you can earn 800... why not take it , if you sold it for 200 dollars someone else would buy it to sell for more!
Yea, if you can, go for it, but my point is, be honest about it. Don't say "This guitar is worth $900, you can have it for only $800!" when you payed $200 for it
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 04:41 PM

Example : My old Rg560 cost me £200, I spent around £60, and it sold for £425 in the end, Now it went on to an auction site

It's not what it's worth, But what people are willing to pay ... I challenge anyone who got a $150 Jem or UV to NOT sell it at going rate ... I think you'd be alone, I'm not arguing, ask anyone who buys and sells guitars, if you can make a decent profit, then do so, I have been lucky, But ALL my stuff goes on e*ay or trades.

No monetary value was discussed, in regards to the Epiphone, SO how the buggery do you get the idea he's out to rip people off

Rob
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
No monetary value was discussed, in regards to the Epiphone, SO how the buggery do you get the idea he's out to rip people off
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa-db
He doesn't want us to know how much he paid for it, doesn't that make you suspicious?

Tags
beautiful guitar , custom shop , fixed bridge , gibson custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode