Should I repaint my 550? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Should I repaint my 550?

Okay I'm new here but I need everyones opinion. Sooo I recently bought a '91 RG550... Even though it came with the suckiest bridge pup ever (a freakin dimebucker) I LOVE it. Before I got this I mainly played an RG5SP2 (I cant find info on it anywhere, got it cheap at gc due to a computer glitch ) and It had a horrible edge III. But this guitar is much more resonant. You can actually fill the vibrations when it leans against your stomach. So as you can tell im crazy for this guitar...

ANYWAY its desert sun yellow. The ibanez logo was starting to chipping off and the flouresance of the paint has appearently faded some over the years... But I was still fine with the color. But then my idiot cat knocked over my crappy yamaha keyboard onto it (dont ask me how) and now my 500 dollar pride and joy has several large chips out of its side. Not any side but the front top edge (when its positioned to play). So obviously I'm pissed.

Now what Im wondering is if it would hurt the value if I repainted it flouresant yellow and how hard it would be to do. Or any repair tips of those spots would help alot too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Should I repaint my 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxdavidmaysxxx View Post
Okay I'm new here but I need everyones opinion. Sooo I recently bought a '91 RG550... Even though it came with the suckiest bridge pup ever (a freakin dimebucker) I LOVE it. Before I got this I mainly played an RG5SP2 (I cant find info on it anywhere, got it cheap at gc due to a computer glitch ) and It had a horrible edge III. But this guitar is much more resonant. You can actually fill the vibrations when it leans against your stomach. So as you can tell im crazy for this guitar...

ANYWAY its desert sun yellow. The ibanez logo was starting to chipping off and the flouresance of the paint has appearently faded some over the years... But I was still fine with the color. But then my idiot cat knocked over my crappy yamaha keyboard onto it (dont ask me how) and now my 500 dollar pride and joy has several large chips out of its side. Not any side but the front top edge (when its positioned to play). So obviously I'm pissed.

Now what Im wondering is if it would hurt the value if I repainted it flouresant yellow and how hard it would be to do. Or any repair tips of those spots would help alot too.
nah, you just dont understand how to utilize it.

try rolling back on the tone every once in a while.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Don't do it! Those news chips will add to the mojo of the guitar!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Don't do it! Those news chips will add to the mojo of the guitar!
This +1
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Well it really depends how much do you want to spend on this? paint jobs can run well over 250.00 then you have the downtime of having it shipped , then waiting on it to be painted. then shipped backed to you. some customers have been waiting for up to 6mos. or longer.. Please check the Vendors auction Thread on this Jemsite. Just read it to get a better idea on whats involved. IF you ask me? I would only deal with Good custom guitar painters if they are Local.

Personally, I would leave it be and get rid of the cat. or you can find a square heeled DESERT YELLOW RG550 body on evil bay for about 100-160?

As long as a guitar has a wicked feel and a sick tone! Thats all I need to be happy with it. Spendin an extra 250 on top of 500 for a RG 550 is a little too much for me. I would be just content on having a good feeling guitar with character. I'd use that money to another RG from evil bay. you can find a solid 1989-93 RG for 275- 350.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: Should I repaint my 550?

leave it original, if you want perfection sell it to us and buy a reissue.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM

I'd paint it, but that's just me. A fresh DY paintjob would look sweet.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 AM

post a pick! dont paint it! I found an old 570 also with many chips and its lovely the way it is, wish it was a 550 though :P
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
yeah im with this dude,paint it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 AM

Reviews: 2

only you can answer the question to paint your guitar.. if you see yourself always owning this guitar, resale value shouldn't mean anything and you can do what ever you want with it. if you think you will sell the guitar down the road.. then don't paint it, your just wasting your money.
right now your 550 could pull in anywhere between $300-$500. if you repaint it, it'd be worth $300-$500...

cheers
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm just gonna leave em. They are distracting but I think people will be too preocupied with the yellow color. One day tho im gonna get a RFR reissue.... One day....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-13-10_1302.jpg (88.3 KB, 1 views)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
If you can actually GET a dy paintjob . Nearly all refinishes ive seen on desert yellows have fallen short of what real dy is.

Besides, based on that pic you showed, those dings arent bad at all. Just deal with it
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminizer View Post
If you can actually GET a dy paintjob . Nearly all refinishes ive seen on desert yellows have fallen short of what real dy is.

Besides, based on that pic you showed, those dings arent bad at all. Just deal with it
I still say leave it alone, but if you are compelled to refinish in DY--go with Sims Custom Shop. They've got the best DY I've seen.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 PM

before you send you body away for any work... READ THE VENDORS AUCTION RESELLERS TALK Thread Site. Yeah send it to SIMS if you want it back in a year. His delivery date of 2 months turns into a year. Just be prepared to be frustrated and never get a straight answer from this guy. From experience.

yes that doesnt look bad. i would leave it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 AM

Don't repaint the whole thing!!! Find a descent antics/music instrument restorator who could fix the thing. Might not be perfect, but still.

Tags
paint , rg550 , wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode