Should I sell my Ibanez RG2 giger to pay for mastering ?? is it worth it ? + Pics.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Should I sell my Ibanez RG2 giger to pay for mastering ?? is it worth it ? + Pics..

Hi all.
I have someone willing to buy my RG2 Giger for $1300 AUS This would help me pay for mastering of my album. and some spare change left over... I really dont need 3 guitars... and I never play the giger much anymore.

I already have 2 other nice ibanez guitars, and im kinda over this one.

What do you guys reckon on the price ?

Giger comes with SKB case, Dimarzio strap. Dimarzio Paf pro(neck) Dimarzio Super3 (bridge)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Re: Should I sell my Ibanez RG2 giger to pay for mastering ?? is it worth it ? + Pics..

So where is the emphasis of your question?
Should you sell the Giger?
Or should you spend $1300 on mastering your album?

To me, the first question is very personal. Some people get very attached to their guitars, and money is not enough of a replacement... Others just trade guitars because they like the trading more than the guitars themselves.

As for the second question, it would depend on what you aim to achieve with your album, and how good your material is in the first place.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Re: Should I sell my Ibanez RG2 giger to pay for mastering ?? is it worth it ? + Pics..

Don't sell it man!
sell other stuff, but that guitar is awesome!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:36 AM

I'm a firm beliver that more guitars is better than less guitars.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Is $1300 for an RG2 Giger a good price sales wise. ?? Thats the main question I asked !!

I said it will pay for the mastering with change left over. I never said $1300 worth of mastering.

And whether or not the material is good. Its my music and I want to do the best for it that I possibly can. (plus i think the material is good.)

and of course more is better thats an obvious misconception in life. Quantity over quality right ?

The giger is the worst player of the lot. When I will play live, The JCustom will be my main guitar.... The giger was bought for the fantasy of buying a giger graphic Ibanez.. and if im dying for it in the future il buy another, but that wont happen cause I already got my eye on another JCustom ..

I think I made up my mind already

I want to sell the giger cause I dont play it, and Id rather spend the money on my music which will last a lifetime...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Then again, some artists would be better off spending money on guitar lessons instead of mastering their album
Which reminds me of those auditions from shows like American Idol. Apparently some people really think they can be a star, even though they can't sing at all. Guess they didn't have any family or friends that were honest and told them they suck.

I personally would never pay money to have my music mastered, because I know that professional mastering won't suddenly make my silly amateur music sound like a worldwide hit-record. It'd still be the same silly amateur music

What my point is, I suppose, is that you should at least try to make the raw material sound as good as possible before having it mastered. I know not everyone is as critical/honest towards themselves, so you may want a second opinion on your material from someone who is. That way you'll get the most out of your mastering.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:18 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Should I sell my Ibanez RG2 giger to pay for mastering ?? is it worth it ? + Pic

Mastering will not get you a record deal...

It will sonically enhance a product you are trying to make money on...

The record company/manager/agent will see through a non mastered or even poorly recorded project and be able to discern a good potential money making song or not...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Re: Should I sell my Ibanez RG2 giger to pay for mastering ?? is it worth it ? + Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
Then again, some artists would be better off spending money on guitar lessons instead of mastering their album
Which reminds me of those auditions from shows like American Idol. Apparently some people really think they can be a star, even though they can't sing at all. Guess they didn't have any family or friends that were honest and told them they suck.

I personally would never pay money to have my music mastered, because I know that professional mastering won't suddenly make my silly amateur music sound like a worldwide hit-record. It'd still be the same silly amateur music

What my point is, I suppose, is that you should at least try to make the raw material sound as good as possible before having it mastered. I know not everyone is as critical/honest towards themselves, so you may want a second opinion on your material from someone who is. That way you'll get the most out of your mastering.

Maybe I should change the heading and leave out the mastering part cause it seems to be confusing you.

I just want an opinion on whether $1300 is a good price for the Giger. Its really all I want to know.

thanks

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 03-23-2008 at 10:36 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: Should I sell my Ibanez RG2 giger to pay for mastering ?? is it worth it ? + Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Mastering will not get you a record deal...

It will sonically enhance a product you are trying to make money on...

The record company/manager/agent will see through a non mastered or even poorly recorded project and be able to discern a good potential money making song or not...
Sheesh. I never said mastering will get me a record deal. I just want my music to get mastered, is there such a problem with that ??

Come on people, I just want my music which I spent a long time doing to get the best treatment possible. I have tried mastering at home, but software based mastering is not as good, and I know this cause I have gone to the mastering studio and I can hear the difference. I dont really want to talk about this anymore, cause I have disscussed this to death on other forums and all I want to know is the main topic, which is the price im selling the guitar a good one or not...

thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Sheesh. I never said mastering will get me a record deal. I just want my music to get mastered, is there such a problem with that ??

Come on people, I just want my music which I spent a long time doing to get the best treatment possible. I have tried mastering at home, but software based mastering is not as good, and I know this cause I have gone to the mastering studio and I can hear the difference. I dont really want to talk about this anymore, cause I have disscussed this to death on other forums and all I want to know is the main topic, which is the price im selling the guitar a good one or not...

thanks
Here's what I think about the whole "mastering" thing, since you brought it up...

Just kidding...

$1300 sounds about right for that axe...if you feel like you truly want/need to let it go (and it sounds like you do). I guess the main question is, does that sound about right to YOU? You're the one who's going to have to live with it. Many moons ago, I sold my two beloved Kramer Strikers (they were vintage '80's) ostensibly because I "needed the money". Retrospect is a horribly cruel mistress, especially when it comes to guitars. Now, you say that you "hardly ever play the Giger anymore", but does that necessarily mean that you're actually ready to part ways with it? Selling my Kramers was probably the worst decision (of its kind) that I've ever made. So, not to put too fine a point on it, if you can live with yourself after selling your Giger for $1300 (or thereabouts...it's a fair ballpark, I suppose), then $1300 is a good price.

Edit: If I had a spare $1300, I'd buy it from you, for whatever that's worth. That thang's purty.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM

Reviews: 18

I would say sell it and get the mastering done. Don't take this the wrong way but, if that giger were the more expensive model, I'd say keep it.

Jimmy
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM

$1300 is a lot for mastering an album! The studio we recorded and mastered in is also used by several artists that have appeared on MTV (BLEH i know..only saying that the equipment and services were top notch..not all the acts that go there haha) and we only spent $300 per half hour *of music* to master with us in the studio listening and making comments.

Then again that is US$ and the music markets are completely different im sure.

I just wouldnt want you spending 1300 dollars for one of those mastering services where you send it away and they send it back and you have no input! (unless of course that is the best option for where you live)

I made an edit above, i meant $300 per half hour of music on the album not $300 per half hour of man hours/time spent mastering.

Last edited by CalledToArms; 03-24-2008 at 04:40 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Sell the Giger... (I never liked them... ) Your other 2 Ibbys are great!!!!

Tags
dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio strap , ibanez guitars , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode