Should string touch fretboard? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3
Should string touch fretboard?

Hello folks.

Restringed (higher gauge, 11s) and raised the bridge, and I notice that unlike on one of my other guitars, the fretted (pressed) part of the string is not touching the fretboard. Should this be a concern?

And I don't know if this matters but I, by mistake, wrapped too little of each string when I restringed--just enough to do EADGBE.

Thanks heaps.
Krugg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:34 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: L.A. california
Posts: 595
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Raise the action.
alecmm61 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,646
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

I don't think the string should be touching the fretboard at all. If it did, any vibrato you do would wear away the fretboard.
GUITARMAGEDDON is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 04:02 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,015
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Just use enough pressure to get a clear note... you may be pressing too hard. Your frets and fingers will last longer.
FireEagle is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 05:32 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 6,200
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I don't think the string should be touching the fretboard at all. If it did, any vibrato you do would wear away the fretboard.
It depends on the size of the frets - with jumbo frets, it's way less likely that your strings will be able to touch the fretboard when you fret than with smaller frets. The position on the neck is a factor - in the first few frets, near the nut, you'll almost certainly touch the fretboard. At the top of the neck, say 17 and above, you almost certainly won't.
Drew is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 2,781
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Does sound to me like you have been pressing the strings far too hard, and with the heavier gauge strings the increased tension is just making that less likely. To each his own though, if pressing that hard works for you then fair enough, just watch you're not damaging your hands or throwing the intonation off.
Algiman is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

On some vintage Fenders, like my 50 year old tele or old Gibsons, like the fretless wonder Black Beauties (Les Paul Customs, circa 1960), the frets are so small that some string to fretboard wear can happen. It's a reason a lot of small fretted instruments got refretted by those who liked to play lead guitar. A fretless wonder Gibson, well worn, actually feels like a guitar without frets.
63Blazer is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 01:48 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mexico
Posts: 496
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
On some vintage Fenders, like my 50 year old tele or old Gibsons, like the fretless wonder Black Beauties (Les Paul Customs, circa 1960), the frets are so small that some string to fretboard wear can happen. It's a reason a lot of small fretted instruments got refretted by those who liked to play lead guitar. A fretless wonder Gibson, well worn, actually feels like a guitar without frets.
I never got why Gibson used smaller frets on the Customs, not that i would buy one anyway but i'd rather get a standard with traditional frets.
Rafafas is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mexico
Posts: 496
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugg View Post
And I don't know if this matters but I, by mistake, wrapped too little of each string when I restringed--just enough to do EADGBE.
Shouldn't matter, in fact it should stay in tune better with fewer wraps.
Rafafas is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:34 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Melbourne, FL 32940
Posts: 3,348
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Strings shouldn't touch the fretboard unless you're pressing down to hard.
sebastian is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
I never got why Gibson used smaller frets on the Customs, not that i would buy one anyway but i'd rather get a standard with traditional frets.
Back in the day, 1960, the Les Paul Custom was a really great solidbody option for jazz guitar, ala Les Paul himself. For fast runs and quick chord comping the small frets are really great. While Les Paul could bend notes as well as anybody alive, he chose to utilize a style of playing quick runs and no bending. The small frets facilitate that much better. It's kind of hard to use those fast runs and comp chords quickly and do so comfortably with higher frets so the fretless wonder wasn't all that bad of a design.

Now take a look at some more modern Les Paul Customs and the dominance of rock influenced players who will most likely buy the model, and you will see bigger frets. If you do get a chance to play an original, jazz era fretless wonder you will see and feel the difference.

Fender guitars like my older ones have long been criticized for two things all the time:

1) frets are too small and not comfortable bending
2) trem goes out of tune too much on strat

So when the cleverly designed American Standard strat and teles came out, Fender saw to it that the frets were very large and competed with the popular Jackson and Ibanez superstrats for ease of bending. To address the trem issue, Fender made it float better and be hinged on two screws instead of six which tended to work against itself and destabalize tuning. And besides the sometimes tinny and underpowered attack of old Fenders, the American Standard put in almost humbucker sounding, fat single coils to work distortion a lot better. The mids and lows were pronounced and there was a new growl to Fender guitars not seen before.

The old Les Paul Standards of '58-'60 have much better big frets than any of the then top of the line 1960 Les Paul fretless wonder Black Beauties. And in 1960, Gibson made the neck much slimmer and the combination of that and the frets were an early attempt at what would become the slim neck, fat fretted Wizard necks found and perfected in Ibanezes. But Gibson was the first to try that combo though to a much lesser degree. But pick up a 1958 Les Paul, or reissue, and then play the 1960 sunburst and you will see a guitar model evolved into a much faster machine if taking modern metal into consideration. Add to that a Gibson custom shop Axcess rounded heel neck and satin finish on back of neck, and overwound modern humbuckers in let's say Gibson Dirty Fingers, and you have a really good metal guitar that could handle almost anything thrown at it today.
63Blazer is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 12:08 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mexico
Posts: 496
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Back in the day, 1960, the Les Paul Custom was a really great solidbody option for jazz guitar, ala Les Paul himself. For fast runs and quick chord comping the small frets are really great. While Les Paul could bend notes as well as anybody alive, he chose to utilize a style of playing quick runs and no bending. The small frets facilitate that much better. It's kind of hard to use those fast runs and comp chords quickly and do so comfortably with higher frets so the fretless wonder wasn't all that bad of a design.

Now take a look at some more modern Les Paul Customs and the dominance of rock influenced players who will most likely buy the model, and you will see bigger frets. If you do get a chance to play an original, jazz era fretless wonder you will see and feel the difference.

Fender guitars like my older ones have long been criticized for two things all the time:

1) frets are too small and not comfortable bending
2) trem goes out of tune too much on strat

So when the cleverly designed American Standard strat and teles came out, Fender saw to it that the frets were very large and competed with the popular Jackson and Ibanez superstrats for ease of bending. To address the trem issue, Fender made it float better and be hinged on two screws instead of six which tended to work against itself and destabalize tuning. And besides the sometimes tinny and underpowered attack of old Fenders, the American Standard put in almost humbucker sounding, fat single coils to work distortion a lot better. The mids and lows were pronounced and there was a new growl to Fender guitars not seen before.

The old Les Paul Standards of '58-'60 have much better big frets than any of the then top of the line 1960 Les Paul fretless wonder Black Beauties. And in 1960, Gibson made the neck much slimmer and the combination of that and the frets were an early attempt at what would become the slim neck, fat fretted Wizard necks found and perfected in Ibanezes. But Gibson was the first to try that combo though to a much lesser degree. But pick up a 1958 Les Paul, or reissue, and then play the 1960 sunburst and you will see a guitar model evolved into a much faster machine if taking modern metal into consideration. Add to that a Gibson custom shop Axcess rounded heel neck and satin finish on back of neck, and overwound modern humbuckers in let's say Gibson Dirty Fingers, and you have a really good metal guitar that could handle almost anything thrown at it today.
Thanks 63Blazer nice piece of info, i knew the Jazz thing for the custom but to me the Les Paul is such a rock machine that it didn't made sense, its on my list to get one eventually but it would either be a standard or a traditional.
Rafafas is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Thanks 63Blazer nice piece of info, i knew the Jazz thing for the custom but to me the Les Paul is such a rock machine that it didn't made sense, its on my list to get one eventually but it would either be a standard or a traditional.
If you get a Les Paul Standard and put it into context against hollowbodies, teles, and strats (of the late 1950s), then for most people the Les Paul with two humbuckers is the best hard rock guitar of all of those.

But if you put up a Les Paul Standard against ceramic pickup Jackson or Ibanez superstrats, the Les Paul may sound anemic and feel slow by comparison. But for what you get within the context of most Gibson guitars, the Les Paul Standard of today is still a fairly good rock guitar and even OK for metal. In my old band, the guitarist's #1 was a JS model with EMGs, then Jackson RRs with hot ceramic humbuckers, then the stock Les Pauls and strats. The Les Pauls and strats only came on set in a very last ditch effort if there was a lot of string breakage but they got overshadowed by the Ibanezes and Jacksons, especially since we were employing Marhshalls and playing punk/metal at higher volumes. The drummer also was a hard hitter and bass player used a pick so the traditional LPs and strats got drowned out too easily and left a huge hole in the band's sound. Though we didn't go for Metallica, the drive of the sound was about Marshalls and active EMGs and anything less left that big sonic gap. Of course the clubs complained we played too loud but the kids liked us better and it's them we were looking to play for anyway.

Because of metal you will find the Floyded Les Pauls or even a few custom shop models sporting black Gibson hardware and EMG 81s. In the big world of Gibson custom shop models, I venture to say they do have some real shredders but you have to really look hard for them.

The Alex Lifeson Les Paul is a great modernized Les Paul with modern features. But like a lot of people here who have been raised on RG550s and Jems, there's very little out there that screams "shred" quite as well, not Gibson, not Fender, not ESP, not Schechter.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-27-2014 at 05:01 PM.
63Blazer is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:44 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mexico
Posts: 496
Re: Should string touch fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Because of metal you will find the Floyded Les Pauls or even a few custom shop models sporting black Gibson hardware and EMG 81s. In the big world of Gibson custom shop models, I venture to say they do have some real shredders but you have to really look hard for them.

The Alex Lifeson Les Paul is a great modernized Les Paul with modern features. But like a lot of people here who have been raised on RG550s and Jems, there's very little out there that screams "shred" quite as well, not Gibson, not Fender, not ESP, not Schechter.
No when i buy it, it would definitely be something more classic, i've played with les pauls before, and the guitar is what it is, a rock and blues machine, it would never be my main axe (for now that is my two JS), but there is something about playing a les paul with a Marshall tube amp thats just magic to me, not for my every day playing, but something that i'd like to have in the future.
Rafafas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 string Fretboard template for project lostadventures Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 0 01-18-2012 11:20 PM
FS: MTD 5 string Maple Fretboard! NickCormier Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 5 02-04-2008 06:17 PM
Need help String sliding off fretboard! Kham Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 14 01-31-2008 09:42 PM
STRING AND FRETBOARD MAINTENANCE Batchimp RG Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 24 01-10-2007 11:11 AM
String Spacing and Fretboard width rosskoss All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 1 10-20-2001 03:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome