shoulder cramps(from playiong rgs) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

shoulder cramps(from playiong rgs)

anyone get em? i got one last week or so(dont remember if i had been playin guitar or not) but i remember just standin there and i got a shoulder cramp. and i got another one today, which was rather worse than the other one. but today i got it at the beach, i fell asleep on the sand soaked and cold(it was cloudy) and woke up on my side(the shoulder that i got a cramp on) and when i tried geting up i couldnt because that sh.it hurt...anyways

anyone know remedies for this?

ps, the shoulder i get cramps from is the shoulder my strap is on. i dont do much else that would cause this other than play guitar, and i play for long periods of time and usually with an rg, lately its my rg20th. its not the lightest guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 AM

Re: shoulder cramps(from playiong rgs)

If an RG is giving you cramps, then I can't think of very many other guitars that would be significantly lighter.

Try getting a thicker strap, like 3 inches, even though they look silly IMO
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 AM

Thicker or padded strap, and be glad you're not playing les pauls.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

im not gonna stop playing rgs for nothin...maybe a wider strap, well i use the dimarzio 2inch clip lock, but i play it as high as it can get on that strap, i like my guitar a bit high. and the part of the strap that ends up on my shoulder is the cliping part. thats probly not good, i just realized that, hmmm
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:04 AM

Reviews: 13

Your right, it's the RG, you should sell it - to me.....I don
t get cramps.

- Wolfram
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 AM

rg's are light guitars man . maybe get a PGM model? they are alittle lighter
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritar View Post
im not gonna stop playing rgs for nothin...maybe a wider strap, well i use the dimarzio 2inch clip lock, but i play it as high as it can get on that strap, i like my guitar a bit high. and the part of the strap that ends up on my shoulder is the cliping part. thats probly not good, i just realized that, hmmm
Tha's probably the issue. Keeping the guitar really high or really low can put your left hand in an awkward position whether you're playing an RG or a semihollow. Try to experiment with the strap length. It may take some time to get used to it but hey, if it gets rid of the cramps it's worth it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 AM

Reviews: 1

Go buy a 70's Les Paul Custom - wear it for a few gigs - then put on your RG.

No more problem ;^)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Dee

IMO, the likelihood is the cramps are due to your posture rather than the guitar. Analyse how you're playing and correct it.

I agree, though, the RG20th is actually pretty heavy. My original RG550 and RG750 are several pounds lighter. The 20th feels somewhere between basswood and mahogany in weight. This is in fact the heaviest piece of basswood I've encountered.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM

With you getting shoulder cramps, i'm wondering if you might need to build up your shoulder and upper back muscles?

I have an exercise that will work these areas, if you want to give it a go to see if it helps.

It's wall push ups. It's exactly the same motion as doing normal floor push ups, but obviously you are using a wall instead.
Make sure you keep your feet and hands shoulder width apart when doing it. When your upper body reaches the wall, hold it for 2 seconds, then push back out until your arms are straight. Do it slowly, and you'll feel the shoulder muscles and the muscles across the upper back working. Start out doing only 10 to 15 per day, and build up.

I had a problem a few months ago with my left upper arm and shoulder spasming, and was given this exercise to do by a chiropractor. It worked a treat and i've had no problems since.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:47 PM

I agree with IG, that maybe you have weak muscles. Cramps can also be from a lack of potassium in your diet. The best cure for cramps that I know of is to eat a banana. They take the cramps away almost instantly.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
IMO, the likelihood is the cramps are due to your posture rather than the guitar. Analyse how you're playing and correct it.
+1 for sure
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
If an RG is giving you cramps, then I can't think of very many other guitars that would be significantly lighter.
I wouldn't say that. I can think of plenty guitars that are a good bit lighter than an RG. I think it's more like Les paul's are the heavier side of guitars (excluding acrylic guitars, etc...), RG's not so much (maybe a middle weight guitar or so?), and I had an ESP that had no trem that was like 3 pounds so that would be pretty light.

The only thing I could suggest is maybe exercise your shoulder and stretch a lot before practice. I don't get cramps playing, but I definately get a stiff neck and back and stretching helps minimize it.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips everyone, i think its probly more along the lines of me having little muscle mass, i dont work out at all except for when i work(wich isnt much anyways) ill try working out my shoulder muscles and such. it could be my posture but for the most part when i play im usually not slouching unless im headbanging or doin the whole 'upper body and guitar-bang'

i havent gotten cramps while playing though, and ive only had 2 thus far, lets hope its nuthin
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritar View Post
thanks for the tips everyone, i think its probly more along the lines of me having little muscle mass, i dont work out at all except for when i work(wich isnt much anyways) ill try working out my shoulder muscles and such. it could be my posture but for the most part when i play im usually not slouching unless im headbanging or doin the whole 'upper body and guitar-bang'

i havent gotten cramps while playing though, and ive only had 2 thus far, lets hope its nuthin

Try taking a multi-vitamin each day. That might help too if it's a nutrition deficiency. Good luck to you.

Tags
acrylic guitar , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what to do if hand cramps up in pain

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode