Shredders Acoustic Guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Shredders Acoustic Guitar?

hey im looking for a new acoustic guitar. are there any shredder guitars out there that people here coul recomend? i guess what i mean is a thin neck, low action ect. can anyone help me? i want to find a model so c an start saving up n get it for christmass so money is not realy a problem

thx agen
davee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Re: Shredders Acoustic Guitar?

This is a question I'd be interested in the answer to - I've had Martin Acoustics in the past and they've nearly crippled me!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Hmmm... Don't know much about Acoustic geetars. If you'd consider semi-acoustics the only one that springs to mind would be a Kramer Ferrington which is an almost strat shaped, thin bodied semi. Never played one and they're probably not the best thing available either but you can pick these up pretty cheaply.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 PM

I bought one of these talman's for playing live. It was cheap and on a whim, but the neck is pretty much like an electric. Good action, you can use a light gauge string, and I can do everything on it I can do on an electric.

My good acoustics are strummers only.. do doubt my weakness, but none the less.

Try one, you might be surprised.

http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-talman
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcore View Post
I bought one of these talman's for playing live. It was cheap and on a whim, but the neck is pretty much like an electric. Good action, you can use a light gauge string, and I can do everything on it I can do on an electric.

My good acoustics are strummers only.. do doubt my weakness, but none the less.

Try one, you might be surprised.

http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-talman

I'm havin' teh pink one!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Breedlove guitars or Vai's acoustic
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM

To be honest, thats kind of missing the point of an acoustic...thin strings don't apply enough prussure to excite the top properly, and low action stops the strings from ringing as powerfully...

On an electric you can get away with that because the signal is naturally compressed and theres no need to make the top of a solid body vibrate, but on an acoustic the first and foremost thing its going to do is completely ****ing rape your tone.

Same thing applies to 'thin' bodied acoustics, like vais half solid half acoustic thing. That guitar probably sounds like total crap. especially since the top is anchored heavily all along one side...

Edit - although I will state that breedloves are pretty damn easy to play, despite having really nice tone and a reasonably high action. Something about those guitars just sings.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys i ill take alook at breedlove and those ibanez guitars. btw im not just limited to ibanez guitars, i think i put it in the wrong thread... woops
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM

ive got an old washburn d series with really thin u shaped neck and really low action its bad ass i love it...its discontinued now, but im sure they still make decent ones
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

You GOTTA check out Ovation guitars. I swear by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDblDia5TE
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
You GOTTA check out Ovation guitars. I swear by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDblDia5TE
+1. I've never played an acoustic that played as well (low action) as an American-made Ovation, especially my Adamas W597. The neck isn't that thin (definitely not Ibanez wizard thin) but I personally never felt that neck thickness, within reason, was what defined a "shred" guitar.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

yeh true its not all about neck thickness. but what about bendability and sustain? is thee anything out there that comes close to an electric? because thats the main 2 problems im facing with my takamine dragon sumthin... haha
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Yamaha APX series all the way! Thin acoustic body, 22 frets. Got a local tech to set it up and though it has high action, I can bend on it pretty good. I have the APX 700 with the mahogany back and sides and with some thick strings on it it growls.

http://tinyurl.com/lb8uop

I wouldn't call the neck thin, but for an acoustic, and comparing it to taylors and martins, its "acoustic thin." The electronics on it are great too; sounds great plugged in and has a lot of tone scoping capabilities.

Last edited by Yousef; 09-10-2009 at 02:58 AM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
Yamaha APX series all the way! Thin acoustic body, 22 frets. Got a local tech to set it up and though it has high action, I can bend on it pretty good. I have the APX 700 with the mahogany back and sides and with some thick strings on it it growls.

http://tinyurl.com/lb8uop

I wouldn't call the neck thin, but for an acoustic, and comparing it to taylors and martins, its "acoustic thin." The electronics on it are great too; sounds great plugged in and has a lot of tone scoping capabilities.
Ditto on that! My APX has 24 frets on the high E and B, 23 frets on the G, 22 on the remaining.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

ok so im tossing up between a talman tcy20, a yamaha apx model or sum kind of ovation. which brand do you reccomend i should .... i dont no start putting more research into haha ?

Tags
shredder acoustic guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode