SHRG1Z - Holy CRAP!! - $5333 KOREAN GUITAR!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

SHRG1Z - Holy CRAP!! - $5333 KOREAN GUITAR!!

I specifically asked at NAMM last year and was told these would be Japanese built and Korean assembled. This was absolutely believable knowing the way Ibanez is running things these days, and the fact that the display model was absolutely Japanese, Japan neck, fretwork, everything that easily determines country of manufacture at a glance.

I just received my first today and needless to say I'm far less than happy.

Not ONLY that they're made in Korea and were supposed to be Japanese, but because they ARE Korean! S guys know exactly what I'm talking about. If they were made in Korea to Japan S spec then I'd be less agravated, not that the MIK manufacture is going to make my customers any happier about the price tag. Unfortunately they're pure Korean. Overbeveled 45-50* fret ends, although they are finished to a "prestige" level, charred wood fretboard from polishing the inlays, Korean carve Wizard II neck, and shallow routed neck pocket that means the strings are far off the body. On top of this one of them had a deep scuff/gouge across the back bottom edge of the lower horn about 4" long and was just flat out rejected.

Needless to say I cancelled all my open orders. I would inventory the extra 3 I had on order if they were what they were claimed to be, but they are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM

Re: SHRG1Z - Holy CRAP!! - $5333 KOREAN GUITAR!!

Hmm, thats disappointing to hear. S series are such innovative instruments in theory, and the early models are great. But the whole Korean spec issue makes me shake my head with frustration!

Even now I sit here looking at my S470. It is absolutely gorgeous, and I like the ZR, but shoot. I'm torn b/w slimming the neck pocket and altering/replacing the neck, or just selling it on to someone who can fully appreciate it in it's current form. I don't like the idea of such extensive modding, but the quilt, it's so gorgeous! This thing could make a mean FGM with the right work.

Ibanez, cut me/us a break! Sometimes you get me looking like this guy >

$5333 though? Wheres my jaw drop smilie! Your right though that is a sweet case! \/

Last edited by SonataGuitarist; 02-02-2007 at 09:38 PM.
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Dee

WOW. Just wow. Unbelievable!
post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

I will say one thing for them, this is without doubt the nicest case Ibanez has ever paired with a guitar. I'd seriously doubt it's leather [although I can't rule it out], the embossing it just, cool.

post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Dee

^^ Class.
post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:39 PM

So you basically get a $1000 dollar korean made prestige like this..

With a fancy finish and inlays. For an extra 3 grand. Nice.

They've desroyed what used to be a decent guitar.

Like Rich said, the neck pocket isn't routed deep enough. That raises the pups and bridge heights as well. That coupled with the thicker and funky shaped wizard II they put on the S, takes a once sleek, low profile guitar and turns it into a nightmare.
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 PM

That is a cool case.
post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 PM

That sucks... this was one of those models that were supposed to restore/maintain our faith in the brand/company...

Instead it just keeps diggin it deeper...
post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 PM

What exactly are all the complaints about?

A thicker neck and high neck pocket? I don't I've played a Korean S, but I just snagged a Jap 1620, and it's awesome, but is it really that different? Is it really that bad?

Edit: Maybe the neck pocket needs to be higher to accomodate the ZR bridge. And maybe they couldn't route the tremolo deeper becasue the wood would crack or the trem block would stick out or something. Maybe?
post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 PM

Yep.

Btw..It's not just the thicknes of the neck, it's the shape.
post #11 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM

That's great, I'm going to have to remember this one. Sorry you got screwed Rich but this is a great story.

Thanks for posting this though Rich, I could see where it being Korean would be a deal breaker, but some people would leave that out of their listings on *bay and such, then when the person gets the guitar home they would be understandbly pissed.

Last edited by elcid; 02-02-2007 at 10:40 PM.
post #12 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM

What the hell?!
post #13 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 PM

The neck pocket issue has nothing to do with the ZR trem.
post #14 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:10 PM

5 Grand for Korean I just dont understand at all. No way in hell have they progressed in quality to THAT point.
post #15 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
The neck pocket issue has nothing to do with the ZR trem.
Are you sure about that?

I'm not doubting you or anything, but do you really know that this problem has nothing to do with the ZR?

As far as I know, the only case of an S having the junk neck pocket and high strings are on guitars with the ZR, wizard II and Korean construction (or assembly). I really am curious if you know that the problem is independent of the ZR. Maybe it is. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure if this problem has been attributed to something specific yet.

-Sean

Tags
high strings , ibanez guitars , korean guitar , les paul , les pauls , mij guitars , neck pockets , neck shape , production model , randy rhoads , rosewood fretboard , trem block , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode