Sims Custom Shop Double Cut #3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Sims Custom Shop Double Cut #3

Ok, I got my Sims Custom Shop in today from one of the guys here, and I have to say I am ecsthatic about owning this guitar. First I want to say the shape of this guitar is even more awsome in person, and the neck has a pretty thin profile, very comfortable for me. Not too thin not too thick. The high e cutaway has been dug way out for maximum playability all the way to the 24th fret. I can get my hand in there and play on top of the pickup if I desired. The paintjob is amazing as well, not a bland plain white like my old Jem7V(which are beautiful guitars). The headstock shape adds even more to the asthetics, smaller than something like an Ibanez, but wonderfully incorporated into this guitar. There is very little to a neck heel here also, the neck is a set neck, but shaped to flow seemlessly into the body making it feel like a neck through. The body on this guitar is solid mahogany but not as heavy as I thought it would be, pleasently surprised. the Fretboard is an amazing cut of rosewood, nice grain detail on the fretboard. The hardware is all top noch, sperzel tuners, original floyd rose, but unfortunately not the original pickups. The electronics will soon be restored though so no worries. This guitar truly has a custom shop feel, not something easily described, you just know it when you feel it. I have owned pre 94 PRS guitars, J-Customs, Jems, Mayones, Fenders(all USA) and many more misc custom shop guitars. Currently I am playing my Dean USA Hardtail #93 of 100 from the very first batch of handcrafted Hardtails, so I have an extensive background in customs and one of a kinds in the almost 10 years of playing. So I have to say that I am satisfied with this guitar and intend on keeping it forever. I mean it is #3, years down the road if SCS continues to do great I will have guitar #3! which I am excited about. So I rate this guitar between a 10 in asthetics, craftsmanship. Will get sound clips up as soon as the pickups are exchanged... Hope this helps with anyone thinking about aquiring a SCS.
Now for the PRON!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: Sims Custom Shop Double Cut #3

Sorry about the dusty guitar stand, I had to pull it out the closet, and the switch tip is gone also atm.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 AM

Glad you like it!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Thnx alot for the smooth transaction Chris glad we could do buisness.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:38 AM

Reviews: 11

Got to love white guitars with gold hardware. Yummy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM

is that Dino's ?

anyway, glad you like the guitar, my problem seems to be if you would have bought a PRS 3 years ago for lets say 2.5K the guitar would have been worth around 1.6k - 1.8k. A jem Vwh white, gold hardware would be worth roughly 1.6K - 1.8K after some years while this one set you back what ? $650 with a gigbag ?

Thats a loss of roughly 1.8k in 3 years.

I would not know of any other mainstream brand loosing that much value. If you buy it to keep forever fine. But that alone is reason for me personally not to buy a custom build.

No disrespect, jut my 2cents
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:55 PM

I'm sure there's no disrespect taken, lol, as that post is pretty nonsensical. People buy customs to get 100% what they want, I honestly dont know ANYONE into custom guitars who gives a damn about resale value because it's common knowledge that it's very low on customs, and those guitars become family heirlooms.

I have 3 custom guitars from a private luthier, and I wouldn't sell them unless I literally needed the money to survive. The beauty of custom shops is that you can get EXACTLY what you want with no compromises other than your wallet. So in my case there's never a "oh well I like my guitar but that one over there is much better, so I'll sell mine to buy that".

No mainstream brand loses that much value because custom guitars are a different beast altogether. Youd have to find someone to buy it who wants exactly what you wanted in a custom guitar, and by the very nature of what a custom is...that's rare.

OP, that looks like a nice axe. I'm not into dot inlays (especially on custom shop instruments), but other than that it looks really nice.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I stopped caring about resale value a while back, I dont have the funds to buy up guitars like I use too, so I look for guitars that I love to play no matter what color or what brand. I would say about 90% of people may not feel that way here, but I will never prolly be a rock god nor will I prolly ever make a living playing guitar. So I started looking for guitars to actually keep for a lifetime and play, making the guitar truly mine. Instead of buying the **** out of expensive guitars and blowing threw one after the other just because. Like I said, I owned a ton of high end guitars, most I bought and sold here, but it is my time to settle down and actually get to know my guitars now, and I am very content with that.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Guitars, like many "investments", are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them. I prefer to keep them as instruments and play the hell out them. I paid 5900 USD for a Fireman and i've got tons of fretboard miles on her already after 6 months. Was I thinking "oh, only 45 in the world, I better hide her in my imaginary vault!", nope, I was thinking "That is a badass guitar, I'm gonna buy one from Rich and shred with it!". I'm now getting a custom made because it's what I want, not to make a profit on her.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post

I have 3 custom guitars from a private luthier, and I wouldn't sell them unless I literally needed the money to survive. The beauty of custom shops is that you can get EXACTLY what you want with no compromises other than your wallet.
Except this is not a custom made guitar. Its a normal production model
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
Except this is not a custom made guitar. Its a normal production model
Fair enough, I was talking about mine...but I most certainly wouldn't compare this to a "mainstream" brand in terms of resale. Any mainstream brand makes tens of thousands more guitars per year than Sims makes. That's not a valid comparison in any way.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Reviews: 1

Last edited by toneboy; 02-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM

If this is gonna break down to a Sims beatdown, perhaps we should adjourn to his vendor thread. This dude bought a guitar second hand and he likes it. All that matters.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

You know, alot of you guys here confuse the hell out of me. I simply posted pics and a description of my new guitar that I am very happy with, but no matter what people here try to find some way to turn it into a pissing contest. I wanted people to be like "Hey Josh that a nice guitar you have there" or perhaps a simple congrats would suffice. WTF happened to humility and just being happy for other players. I mean that is how it should be IMO.... Alot of you guys act like total douche bags in these forums making guitar community sites like this pointless at times. I understand that everyone has opinions, but this thread had nothing to do debating anything period. So thanks to those nice enough to be happy for me and post nice comments, as for the rest of you..... pull your heads out your @sses. I am more than happy to own this guitar. MODS feel free to close this thread, I feel it was almost pointless starting it in the first place.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredderJoshW View Post
You know, alot of you guys here confuse the hell out of me. I simply posted pics and a description of my new guitar that I am very happy with, but no matter what people here try to find some way to turn it into a pissing contest. I wanted people to be like "Hey Josh that a nice guitar you have there" or perhaps a simple congrats would suffice. WTF happened to humility and just being happy for other players. I mean that is how it should be IMO.... Alot of you guys act like total douche bags in these forums making guitar community sites like this pointless at times. I understand that everyone has opinions, but this thread had nothing to do debating anything period. So thanks to those nice enough to be happy for me and post nice comments, as for the rest of you..... pull your heads out your @sses. I am more than happy to own this guitar. MODS feel free to close this thread, I feel it was almost pointless starting it in the first place.
Rule of life number one - you can't control what other people do.

Congrats on the new guitar, the thread doomed to failure and the little rant in your previous post.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
patrick sims , sims , sims custom shop , sims double cut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode