Single Coils in Humbucker Housings - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Single Coils in Humbucker Housings

I was wondering if anyone had experience with humbucker-sized single coil pickups. I currently am looking at installing a single-coil in the neck position of an SG Supreme and was looking at Z-90s from Harmonic Design and The Bastard from Rio Grande. Has anyone used these pickups? I'm trying to find one that will complement the mahogony guitar and provide a good clean tone, and also give me a good driven tone when desired. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 02:34 PM

MidnightFlamed,

I know this may not help much, because I don't have personal experience with those particular model pickups but I think you would be VERY happy with either choice. I'd probably go with the Z90 but that's just because I went throught the same thing a while back and compared the same pickups as well. The Z90 just really floated my boat at that time.

You've certainly got the right guitar for it. Just personal opinion, but you can't beat P-90 style p/ups in a mahogany body. I have a Brian Moore C45 and the tone is plain gorgeous. I also have a PRS with P-90s (probably the same exact model) but it has a maple top and for some reason it's just not the same.

As far as the brands you're looking at I think they are both very high quality and have a lot of believers out there. I have a Rio Grande Tallboy Quinto set in a G&L ASAT and it sounds fantastic. A little noisier than I'd like but that's really only noticeable when you're by yourself in your quiet bedroom. Get some other musicians around and you can't hardly hear it. I'm going to put a Harmonic Design Strat-sized P-90 in another guitar but that hasn't happened yet so I can't comment on their quality, noise-level, tone, etc.

Anyway, get the Z90 (or Bastard) - it'll transform that guitar.

G

Tags
brian moore , clean tone , coil pickup , mahogany body , neck position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode