Sleeper/Underrated Guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Sleeper/Underrated Guitars?

I'm just curious what you all might consider to be a true sleeper guitar. One that may be overlooked by the casual guitar player, or overshadowed by larger brands; but really built well, plays well and sounds great.

One that I've been pretty surprised by are the early 80's Electra Westone/Phoenix models. Very solid and versatile and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

-Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Re: Sleeper/Underrated Guitars?

anything by a private luthier.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM

a telecaster
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM

That would be one of the most popular guitars in history..........
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 PM

Yamaha RGX series
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Good call on the Westones, manticus.
I accidentally passed one of those up for a dirt cheap price because at the time I didn't know anything about them. Then I looked them up on the net, went back to the store, and they had already sold it. Bummer.

I'll agree with Jem7RB Mk, also, and add that Yamaha in general is very underrated.

I'm also a big fan of the Guild solid bodies that they used to make. They really were "solid" bodies. Weigh a ton but sound absolutely beautiful.

One final thing. I've said it before in another thread, but Korea has come along way in their building quality and I think many Korean guitars are very underrated. (LTD, Epiphones, Schecter)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Reviews: 12

Gordon smith guitars are highly underated and very over looked! While i'm here i'll give an honourable mention to framus, there's a whole lotta quality luthiery going on there at the moment. Epi's are all chinese these days and might i add they are spectacularly good!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Yamaha Pacifica 112's + Rich Lasner-era Pacificas.

I recently got a 112M for free and despite the fact that body is cracked nearly the whole way through it meets or exceeds guitars costing double or even triple it's price in sound and playability. The early 90's Pacificas (designed by Lasner) are also quite incredible, and in many ways outstrip their Ibanez equivalents from the same year and price range.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM

This was my westone. I wasn't impressed with it much at all. It looked cool but just had a lot of frequency problems. I would of changed the pick ups but the neck felt like a strat and so i sold it after owning it a few months.

What about those Talons? I think fender made them. Any one remember those? Also, the gibson M3. I loved that guitar!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:06 PM

peavey guitars, and basses get overlooked by the masses. i've got a t-40 bass and love it. on the t-40, as you rotate the tone knobs you go from single coil, to humbucker mode. very nice instruments(people are starting to catch on, and prices on peavey gear is rising).
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

TJ, I actually had that in red. Sold it to one of my friends and can get it back whenever I want, but can't see myself playing that in front of my congregation I never gigged with it, but was fun to play around the house with and seemed pretty versatile to me. I still try to pick up the Phoenix style Electra's when I can fin them for a decent price, though.

Never seen a Talon, I'll have to look them up.

-Andy
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretboardpyro View Post
Gordon smith guitars are highly underated and very over looked! While i'm here i'll give an honourable mention to framus, there's a whole lotta quality luthiery going on there at the moment. Epi's are all chinese these days and might i add they are spectacularly good!
yep i can remember gordon smith guitars,and yes very underated
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticus View Post
TJ, I actually had that in red. Sold it to one of my friends and can get it back whenever I want, but can't see myself playing that in front of my congregation I never gigged with it, but was fun to play around the house with and seemed pretty versatile to me. I still try to pick up the Phoenix style Electra's when I can fin them for a decent price, though.

Never seen a Talon, I'll have to look them up.

-Andy
Really? its a very classy guitar. Are they judgmental or something?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Nah, I just figured I might scare the little kids and the septuagenarians

-Andy
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM

LOL, you don't have to worry about that, compared to the things that are on TV these days, I think your guitar is quite fine. lol But its good to see your thinking of your brothers and sisters. 2 thumbs up for that.

Tags
bargain , electra , sleeper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode