A smattering of RG550 questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Drew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

A smattering of RG550 questions

Lots of RG550 questions in my head today, I figured this would be the best place to get legit answers.

1.) Is there any significant difference between the 20th anniversary RG550s vs the 2018 Genesis collection. (other than the case vs lack of case?)

2.) what is the deal with the 87 RGs, why did some have matching headstocks and others had black headstock. I had an 87 DY and it had a matching headstock.

3.) did the 87/88/89 RG550 and Jem's share the same pickguard? I've decided I hate the new volume knob placement (and Evo's, but that's another story. I love my Jem 30th unplugged. Plugged in, not so much...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: A smattering of RG550 questions

I can answer the first question. The RG20th has the same neck profile and five piece neck makeup as the Genesis but the 20th has KTS titanium supports in them, like so:

The 20th also came with V1 and V2 pickups in the neck and bridge respectively, which IMO sound a little better than the V7 and V8 combo on the current Genesis.

Otherwise I would say both are pretty much the same guitar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:15 AM

The Japan-market Genesis series from 2013, I believe, had the V1-V2 pickups as well, and I was actually pleasantly surprised by them. I ended up swapping them anyway, but that was mostly because I wanted something hideously green for my RFR and wanted a little more aggressive voicing. They were totally usable as-is.
mike570 likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
did the 87/88/89 RG550 and Jem's share the same pickguard? I've decided I hate the new volume knob placement (and Evo's, but that's another story. I love my Jem 30th unplugged. Plugged in, not so much...)
Technically yes but practically no. You'll almost never find them where all the screw holes line up properly. This will be worse if you use an old guard on a new guitar, most likely to the point of being unusable.

My suggestion is use a place that will duplicate your existing pickguard. I think Terrapin Guitars will do that. You can also ask that they relocate the volume knob when making it or ask that it be omitted and place it where you want it. I did that with a Strat pickguard. I asked them to omit the middle tone pot (I'm just doing master tone) and then I can decide where I want to put the volume knob. They did a really nice job on the guard.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Technically yes but practically no. You'll almost never find them where all the screw holes line up properly. This will be worse if you use an old guard on a new guitar, most likely to the point of being unusable.

My suggestion is use a place that will duplicate your existing pickguard. I think Terrapin Guitars will do that. You can also ask that they relocate the volume knob when making it or ask that it be omitted and place it where you want it. I did that with a Strat pickguard. I asked them to omit the middle tone pot (I'm just doing master tone) and then I can decide where I want to put the volume knob. They did a really nice job on the guard.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of Terrapin guitars, only heard about Perle for jem/RG pickguards, but all in the new layout, so I didn't have much hope.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
Thanks, I hadn't heard of Terrapin guitars, only heard about Perle for jem/RG pickguards, but all in the new layout, so I didn't have much hope.
I've tried to move pickguards around to different guitars before. In fact I think I purchased one from Perle way back to replace a really scratched up one. No hope, major screw hole alignment problems. Unless you don't mind doweling and redrilling holes, which I'm sure you don't want to do on a Jem 30th.

Terrapin is a bit slow and more expensive than buying something off of eBay, but worth the wait IMO. I asked around to a couple other places that were recommended to me but I found that they didn't want to do EXACTLY what I wanted, there were always some constraints they wanted me to stay within. Terrapin was the only place that would do exactly what I wanted.

My request wasn't crazy either. I wanted a Strat pickguard with the mounting hole on the treble side of the bridge omitted. Most places would let you omit control holes (volume, tone) but wanted you to do a standard mounting hole layout. Another thing that was neat was Terrapin let me pick which holes I wanted countersunk. Most places it was all or nothing.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 04-16-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode