Snakeskin RG finish? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Snakeskin RG finish?

Well I bought this guitar and wonder if any of you guys could tell me the name of the finish? Snakeskin? Serpent? Reptilian? Silversnake?
The guitar has was made 1989 according to serial number. It has a few dings but feels very good to me. Not very found of the pickups.
I do know this is an original finish and the guitar was sold new in sweden back in 1989.

This particular guitar has ben up here for discussion before but not the name of the finish/design.

Last edited by B.B.A.; 08-20-2014 at 04:21 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 AM

Re: Snakeskin RG finish?

looks like a replica snake to me...maybe from Beyond Custom Guitars. I recongize the way they fade the edges to black.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

No, it was sold new by swedish distributor Crafton. They always marked the new guitars they imported and sold so thats why I know. The finish is original, I have seen others with this black burst just like mine.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 AM

Can you post a pic of the headstock? How about the neck pocket? Tilt heel of Jem-style heel?

My only guess on this is Reptilian, because that was a 1989-only finish that was replaced by The Serpent in 1990.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Headstock looks like a normal RG700 without usa custom logo.
This one has the JEM-style heel. Not the usual RG-heel

Last edited by B.B.A.; 08-20-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: picture
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 AM

I believe it was determined that one was a variant of Reptilian.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 AM

Well a Jem-style heel would indicate a USA Custom. Neck could have been switched with an RG7XX neck. I'd really need to see the neck pocket.

I've never found a picture of a Reptillian outside the USA Custom advertisement from 1989. But the Reptillian in that picture/drawing has a grey finish. Not that that necessarily means anything. The same ad shows a Lizard with a blue burst, which is totally wrong.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Sure I'll get pictures of the neck pocket, no problem. It's stamped with RG560 and the neck is stamped with IRG-750. Neck is original as far as we know. I have seen a few other guitars on Internet sold in europe and they look "spot on" like my guitar so there where at least several made and sold in europe in the late 80's. My best guess is an early "japanese" limited run.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM

What is the neck plate on this guitar? Serial on the headstock or no?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

The serial is a F9xxxxx on backside of the headstock. Black neck plate without serialnumber.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM

OK interesting. USA Customs would have had a Bensalem neck plate. Looking forward to seeing what's in the neck pocket. I'm wondering if this is some kind of prototype? It has the snakeskin finish on the back as well, correct? Also, what switch is in this? YM-50 or VLX53?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 PM

I've seen one of those for sale used in a guitar store here in Australia. That was about 20 years ago though.

Looked exactly the same. H S S, shark teeth, regular headstock. I would've bought it had I had the money, and if it was in good shape (it was a bit banged up).
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you post a pic of the headstock? How about the neck pocket? Tilt heel of Jem-style heel?
Took some pics yesterday. I have talked to one of the guys at swedish Ibanez Distributor- Crafton. He told me that this guitar came straight from japan to sweden and he was sure about this.. The brown sticker on the back of the headstock is the swedish distributor's mark. They marked every guitar they sold back in those days so it is 100% legit. He couldn't remeber quite what this guitar was called. Anyway, an odd cool guitar, I call it the missing Reptilian japanese custom

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:13 AM

Very cool. Perhaps a custom or a prototype for the USA Custom line? All the hardware and electronics are typical of an RG560. Based on the Jem-style neck, I'd say it definitely isn't simply a customized 560, though.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 08:49 PM

I'm pretty sure they were production. A quick google search pulls up less than a handful on a few random forums. Plus, I've seen and played a used one in a store here in Aus (little to no chance of there being any sort of custom from Ibanez in a store in Aus).

I wish there was a UK/Euro catalog archive somewhere. It'd probably be in there.

Tags
snake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode