So having no luck at the moment, help me pick a new Ibanez :-) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

So having no luck at the moment, help me pick a new Ibanez :-)

Ok so not having a great month, My order for a Jem777 30th fell through and the guitar I bought to tie me over (as I only just returned to playing) RG655 new is a pile of crap, neck cracking, paint finish just terrible and tbh the pickups sound plain to me through the JVM410HJS / 1960b :-( so not impressed at all and tbh its made me question if the quality of new stuff or even the new jem will be what I am expecting...

Am I best to forget new guitars and just get an Old JEM 7v or is there a new guitar that actually has some quality in it? i bought the prestige becauae I wanted the japanese build... yeah right!

I can see me modifying the rg655 alot to getting it to where i want, i highered the action loads and the sustain seems short but maybe I'm expecting too much.

What are the JS models like as I have only ever played RG's, my frist RG LOKE 20 odd years ago was amazing :-(

What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM

Re: So having no luck at the moment, help me pick a new Ibanez :-)

What happened to make your order fall through?

What speakers are in the 1960B?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
What happened to make your order fall through?

What speakers are in the 1960B?
Standard 1960b cab, brand new one so current spec.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

So last Ibanez I owened was a RG507 i bought in 95-97, I loved that guitar should have never sold it, want somethint as good as that, too much to ask, was fairly cheap back then too...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superclarkey View Post
Standard 1960b cab, brand new one so current spec.
Start by getting rid of the G12T-75. A notoriously hideous speaker. The JVM410HJS sounds amazing with Greenbacks. Loved mine when I had it. Great amp!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
Start by getting rid of the G12T-75. A notoriously hideous speaker. The JVM410HJS sounds amazing with Greenbacks. Loved mine when I had it. Great amp!
I can't comment on the greenbacks never personally used them but the reason I went for the straight up 1960b was because that was what apparently the amp was built for as they are far more common, Joe's words, strang then how his limited edition half stack used a 1960a cab...

Was going to later on buy a vintage b (1960bx) to own as well.

However the lack of sound I dislike is defo from guitar and not the amp/speaker selection as I have borrowed my mates 7v and it sounds amazing.

Tried moving pickups up and down a fair bit on the RG655, cant seem to dial it in, maybe that is me, trying so hard to overlook the issues with the guitar.

Last edited by superclarkey; 03-03-2017 at 09:19 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:33 AM

The guitar is just as well specced as a Jem, pickups are a Tone Zone in the bridge? I don't have any experience with that pickup. How is the resonance on the guitar when played unplugged (is it loud?), do the notes ring out nicely at the high frets (good sustain?).

And then how are the strings on the guitar, are they old sat in the factory 9s and maybe you're used to 10s? String gauge/condition will make quite a huge difference. I don't think you should assume the worst, it's a quality guitar that on paper should be up there with a Jem, with the Jem you're always paying for the brand.

That said, before I bought my Jem I always disliked Ibanez guitars, never got on with any RG series but then fell in love with my 7V within minutes of picking it up, which is why I bought it.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

The strings are brand new 10's.

The notes seem to die off very quickly, one of the reasons I gave it a higher action because I thought it was killing it.

erm, I like the 7V.... maybe I burn this and just buy one then.

Tbh thats why I wanted the new JEM777
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 3

At the end of the road there is a Jem waiting for you somewhere; it is your sin, you know it deep inside. Go for it, give a try to several old and new models and compare them to that RG. I'm 99'9% sure you will take one.

If you wanted a 30th ann, buy a SK or DY, don't limit yourself just to the soldout LGs if you are not a collector, they are the very same guitar.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Agreed, I have been thinking long and hard about getting another colour but the new rg655 puts me off buying brand new...
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Difference (apart from cosmetics) of 7V and FP2?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 PM

^Evo2 in the bridge instead of standard Evolution, OG neck joint, direct mount pickups, basswood body.

I think that's it.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Interesting a new 7v seems to be a chunk of change saving over fp2.

Worth the extra or paying for cosmetics again...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok I know I'm going to be shot for this, I went to try a Jem FP-2 out today, I loved it, was mind blowing outstanding, but its just not enough different to warrant 2k more than the RG655, the neck was lovely on the Jem, frets lovely, and the pickups where ace, but the actual guitar was not in a league of its own compared to the RG655 imho, if your strip away the cosmetics what makes it a special guitar and just approach it as a guitar I realised today that I'm just searching for something I don't even need, I felt as home on my RG655 and tbh 4 hours messing with the pickups I've got it sounded extremely sweat, as with everything it takes time to dial things in right.

If it wasn't for the neck issues with the RG I don't think I would be looking for a Jem, maybe I've just been mega unlucky and just don't need to spend an extra 2k to get what I want.

Made me realise today just because I got hooked on getting the Jem777 LNG doesn't mean i need any Jem to fill the gap, that has been and gone and I should just be content with what I have as its mega really, the issues is what has made me bitter on all this.

The only thing I didn't like about the FP-2 was the chrome hardware tbh, if I could I would have swapped it all with the RG655 black hardware and made a truly amazing guitar, but I think as it stands I will just get this RG655 repaired and wait for a bit before I jump into another guitar...

The point is its not going to cost me 2k extra to get the evo pickups is it, the wood is same as the RG655, and the neck isn't a million miles away... just saying.

As you can tell I'm up and down and don't know what to do at the moment, but I think I have made a good call today not buying the Jem. (a 7v second hand is what I think I will get as next guitar in a few months)

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Well when it comes down to it a Jem is just a fancy looking RG with a hole in it, you're paying for the slightly higher production costs and mostly the brand name. The Jems are in the price range with custom shop stuff from other companies but they aren't really produced to that quality shipped from the factory.

I've played some Suhr guitars and Custom Shop Fenders and they are in my opinion a cut above the Prestige Jems, but of course you can always take the guitar to a luthier and have the finishing touches and setup done to where they do compete.

Tags
rg655

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode