So, I'm about to get my very first ibanez - help out! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

So, I'm about to get my very first ibanez - help out!

So I am getting an Ibanez RG 2610E-BK sent to me, I bought ot off of another guy online, it was apparently "barely played" and mint except for some small paint dings - which was from the store that he bought it from. I know ibanez paint is fragile anyway.

SO!

I'm gigging in about two weeks and the weather is going to be pretty - i think - humid, due to summer nights being this, and its going to be a little cold.

I have no floating trem experience, not maintenance and such at least - and I do not know how ibanez very thin necks handle theese enviromental and temperamental changes?,
if they usually sit in a pretty medium tempered and not so very humid enviroment(our rehearsal space).

Will the neck get a slight bow, and/or will the tuning change, should i just tune it up, and rock on, or will it later set and then go sharp/flat mid-set?

I will most likely have it on a stand on the stage for the 30minutes of rig-time that we get, and check it often to see how it handles.

I wonder this because the gig we're doing is as the opening act for EVERGREY

P.S

Would it be a great idea to - when i get it, have it in the usual space, then maybe take it outside to similar conditions for an hour and check how it does? to learn how it will react etc?

sorry fo be a noob - but tremolo is a whole new world for me :lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM

Re: So, I'm about to get my very first ibanez - help out!

If this is really your first experience with a trem (I find it hard to imagine) then I wonder if it's such a good idea to jump in to a gig that soon. Besides the fact that it takes some getting used to, and that your natural intonation will be different than with a fixed bridge, I would most want to get used to tuning it. I have five guitars with trems on them (all Ibanez')and they each have their little quirks when tuning up and locking them in. The most important thing I would say is give the strings a good stretch while tuning until you can get it to stay in tune without further stretching. Bring the fine tune screws up almost to the top when you do this to allow for the strings getting a little flat. Lock the nut and give it a good workout. Check the tuning now and then. You may have to break the nut loose one more time to bring it up to pitch, but it should hold tune after that. And don't yank that thing like it's your you-know-what! A little trem can go a long way. Good luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM

Oh, and I forgot, I wouldn't worry about the neck.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 AM

For the gig you will need a back up guitar. If you break a string on the Ibanez because it has a locking trem you won't be able to change the string as quickly as you would on a Strat for instance.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
For the gig you will need a back up guitar. If you break a string on the Ibanez because it has a locking trem you won't be able to change the string as quickly as you would on a Strat for instance.
not to mention you will be horribly out of tune too.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Reviews: 1

Not to hijack the tread. After whammy bar abuse, edge pro is not returning to perfect pitch, its either flat or sharp a bit, is it normal? (Trem angle is correct and strings are properly stretch)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
Not to hijack the tread. After whammy bar abuse, edge pro is not returning to perfect pitch, its either flat or sharp a bit, is it normal? (Trem angle is correct and strings are properly stretch)

In my opinion.

Yes, it is normal; all trems I ever tried behave like that.
No trem in the world will return to perfect pitch after a bit of abuse.
Most trems don’t return to perfect pitch on all strings if you just do one small little dive or raise of the pitch with it. But most trems do if you learn to “get them back again” after use.

I have meet loads and loads of players saying “my guitar stays in perfect pitch no matter what I do, it is all about setting it up right”, but when checking their guitar is it always just that their ears don’t reach to the small out of tune there is. The do some abuse and say “look, still perfectly in pitch”, but asking them to check it against a tuner and one (or more) strings are always out of tune (maybe that’s why they say “look” instead of “listen” )

I’m joking with the way I write it, but the “story” is true.

/Magnus
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Thrashman, don't worry, you will be fine.

Just try the guitar a bit first...

/Magnus
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashman View Post
So I am getting an Ibanez RG 2610E-BK sent to me, I bought ot off of another guy online, it was apparently "barely played" and mint except for some small paint dings - which was from the store that he bought it from. I know ibanez paint is fragile anyway.

SO!

I'm gigging in about two weeks and the weather is going to be pretty - i think - humid, due to summer nights being this, and its going to be a little cold.

I have no floating trem experience, not maintenance and such at least - and I do not know how ibanez very thin necks handle theese enviromental and temperamental changes?,
if they usually sit in a pretty medium tempered and not so very humid enviroment(our rehearsal space).

Will the neck get a slight bow, and/or will the tuning change, should i just tune it up, and rock on, or will it later set and then go sharp/flat mid-set?

I will most likely have it on a stand on the stage for the 30minutes of rig-time that we get, and check it often to see how it handles.

I wonder this because the gig we're doing is as the opening act for EVERGREY

P.S

Would it be a great idea to - when i get it, have it in the usual space, then maybe take it outside to similar conditions for an hour and check how it does? to learn how it will react etc?

sorry fo be a noob - but tremolo is a whole new world for me :lol
I just bought one of these too!! Gorgeous..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM

Reviews: 21

If you're in doubt before the gig, just block the trem and tighten down the springs.
No worries!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post

But most trems do if you learn to “get them back again” after use.

/Magnus
care to elaborate "get them back again" ? thanks
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Ive got the G-string going flat-problem on mine when i dive the tremolo.

"getting it back again" means (to me) that to get the strings all in tune i have to yank it up after a dive.

aggrovating.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Smile Re: So, I'm about to get my very first ibanez - help out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashman View Post
Ive got the G-string going flat-problem on mine when i dive the tremolo.

"getting it back again" means (to me) that to get the strings all in tune i have to yank it up after a dive.

aggrovating.
Hey man!

Does it go back in tune after you yank it up? If so, maybe double check the lock nut and make sure its good and snug. Also make sure all the strings are stretched thoroughly before locking down.

Now if you're doing some crazy whammy tricks, it can be a pain. I have 5 guitars with trems and on every one of them, if I get really crazy, they go out! Even then after alot of moderate use, they'll go out a little but a quick adjustment on the fine tuner takes care of it. It's kind of "nature of the beast".

After awhile you'll get a feel of how far you can go, atleast that's what I found for me.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, everything is stretched and locked tight.

it shouldnt behave like this. an ORF doesn't.

Not even the Edge III's ive tried do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode