So many choices.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
So many choices..

Still in shipment, but I will be an owner of a Blackberry S420. Ive heard good and bad and some biased opinions on the Factory Spec Pickups. INF series.

My question is, since almost everyone Ive spoken to, says to replace them with Dimarzio's, but which ones. I dont want to get a set and not have them perform or sound what I want.

Tight lows, good mids and glassy highs. I run alot of gain, I do scoop some of the mids, but not to the point that is no life in the sound. Im close Dimebag's ( PANTERA DAYS! ) tone, without getting his brand everything. That is my sound in a nutshell. Not that I do sound like Dime, but it's close. Need a Pickup that will give me a little more push to the amp.

Im more of a Seymore guy I do have a Dimebucker in my 97' RX240 and have had numerous brands of guitars with Duncan's. but I will not turn my nose to another brand. I have no experiance with Dimarzio's. They have a healthy selection to choose from. I also have been told Ibanez and Dimarzio go together like a Les Paul and Marshall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: So many choices..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbles View Post
I dont want to get a set and not have them perform or sound what I want.
So.....you ask to strangers to pick something for you even knowing they have diferent ears and tastes than you?
It'd be the same going to an instruments store and ask a seller to pick them for you.
Really clever way of solving your problem
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Someone may have some specific recommendations in mind, but until then take a wonder on over to Dimarzios site and listen to some sound clips. Should help at least narrow it down

http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM

See what the infs do for you. I like them in the stoptail sf420 I have. They sound great tapped.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
So.....you ask to strangers to pick something for you even knowing they have diferent ears and tastes than you?
It'd be the same going to an instruments store and ask a seller to pick them for you.
Really clever way of solving your problem
Does this crap never end................. your VERY tiring!!!

From now on, When you have nothing to add to a conversation, and no help for the OP here's a thought:

SIT ON YOUR FREAKIN' HANDS until you calm down.

Ryc
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 PM

I picked up the same guitar a week ago; looks amazing and plays great. It's my first ibanez in years (at least 4 years). The INF pickups are okay, you could probably get by with them if you're strapped for cash. With that said, i have already ordered a Duncan distortion (bridge) and a dimarzio fred (neck) for it...LOL
Wikll elt you know how that combo works out......

jeff

Last edited by jclogston; 02-22-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Robbles: I would maybe look into the X2N (very hot) or the D-activator (still really hot) for the bridge. they're both "EQ'd" fairly flat with a small push on the high-mids.

For the neck I would go with either an Evo2 bridge model or the D-activator neck model.

You should also know that DiMarzio gives you a 30 day exchange so that if you don't like the sound of a pup send it back and they'll switch it for a new one. you can do this endlessly til you find what you like.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

From now on, When you have nothing to add to a conversation, and no help for the OP here's a thought:

Ryc
No help?
Telling him to devenlop his own tastes and search for what he needs is ....nothing?
Dude.............you're just another one who thinks using your brain....... hurts
Giving him YOUR tastes about pups adds nothing to his life cause they are YOUR tastes.
In the end he'll try some pups or he'll buy something a stranger(like you) told him to buy and probably he won't like it.
So .....you added nothing.
If he understood what I said he'll find what he wants ALL by himself.
2ooo members telling him to buy 500 different pups would never help.

Last edited by 6fingers; 02-22-2011 at 11:24 PM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Ryc
AMEN Brother!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 PM

Mahogany Body. JB and a 59. Done.

DiMarzio has a nice return policy you can exchange everything just don't cut the leads. So you are not really locked in unless you buy used. I liked Tome Zone and Air Norton, as well as the Super Distortion and Air Norton.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
No help?
Telling him to devenlop his own tastes and search for what he needs is ....nothing?
since you never actually said any of this then, no, you added NOTHING!!

Quote:
Dude.............you're just another one who thinks using your brain....... hurts
In post after post, I'm the one who uses my brain researching for information the other members are looking for........ your using yours to belittle and confuse them.

Quote:
Giving him YOUR tastes about pups adds nothing to his life cause they are YOUR tastes.
None of the pickups I mentioned are in MY taste. they're suggestions based on ROBBLES taste!!!! They are meant to give him in a direction to look at with DiMarzio since, as he stated, he has no experience with them.

By the way, MY pickup suggestions were asked for. Your Bullsh*t observation's and crass comments WERE NOT!!!!

Quote:
In the end he'll try some pups or he'll buy something a stranger(like you) told him to buy and probably he won't like it.
Since your so well versed in probabilities; what are the averages that he'll try a pup AND LIKE IT??? no concrete evidence for that one?? I didn't think so..... So now Robbles is stuck in the same position as the rest of us trying to find a decent sounding pickup without throwing his money away......... Oh wait.......There's Jemsite!!! a place we can all go to get the most information possible WITHOUT getting treated like CRAP from the other members........ well, usually not.......

Quote:
So .....you added nothing.
This is the ONLY thing you said that is true. In my first post the only thing I did was vent the frustration that MANY of us are having with you constant bullsh*t and harrassing of new members. To Robbles: I'm sorry for that

Quote:
If he understood what I said he'll find what he wants ALL by himself.
Maybe he came here because he COULDN"T find what he was looking for......... This IS what Jemsite forums are for right........ help and information!!!!

Quote:
2ooo members telling him to buy 500 different pups would never help.
So far there have been exactly 2 members suggesting a total of 6 pickups...... maybe it will help after all

Look Man.... I know your a good player. That's old new's. But why is it that EVERY time someone new comes to the forum for info or advice you have to berate and belittle them?
Seriously, If you don't actually have any REAL help to offer. Shut the fu*k up!!! All your doing is running off new members and pissing off the old ones (like me)

Ryc
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

I completely disagree to your opinion.
And seriously...
I don't care if somebody has 1 billion posts or if he has only 2,I'd give the same reply in both cases so saying I care if somebody is new or old is............wrong.
If you(old member like you said) did the same question I'd have replied the same way.
And everytime somebody asks something he should try for himself,I'll give the same reply no matter if he's old or new member.
And I'd teach my sons the same way.
Am I wrong?
It could be but I don't think so.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Ok well didnt see the whole dude with sarcasm button on, wonder if your a fan of Malmsteen??

All Im asking Is a General area to start looking, Im not going to drop lots of cash only to hate what Is installed. If thats the case Ill just sit with the stock. All Im looking for is something as hot or hotter than a Dimebucker with out killing my ears with high end hiss and feed back that cant be easily controlled lol.. Thats what I didnt like about the dimebucker.

Someone Tinkle on your wheaties??? Im new to Dimarzio's. You dont go buy a car with out researching it do you? I Hope not..... Getting Opinions. Ill remember next time not ask you, for your's. And Im not new to Forums, I did not find the info I was looking for. JEMsite is the only one with memebers who actually respond. not to mention the knowlage database is here and its great.

Last edited by Robbles; 02-23-2011 at 12:28 AM.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I completely disagree to your opinion.
And seriously...
I don't care if somebody has 1 billion posts or if he has only 2,I'd give the same reply in both cases so saying I care if somebody is new or old is............wrong.
If you(old member like you said) did the same question I'd have replied the same way.
And everytime somebody asks something he should try for himself,I'll give the same reply no matter if he's old or new member.
And I'd teach my sons the same way.
Am I wrong?
It could be but I don't think so.
Yes... You are wrong!! When your replies actually ANSWER a specific question or provide some USEFUL information, that may change. Until then your just plain WRONG!

Did I mention post count?? NO I mentioned new members because, for the most part, they don't understand how Jemsite works. Answering the way you do only gives the impression that Jemsite is a "bunch of pompous dickheads". That is NOT what this site is about!!

Let me ask this........ do you remember this thread, because I do.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f13/he...ase-84539.html

How would you have felt if Rich had replied "go out and figure it out yourself"?

BTW.... I teach my son's to be helpful and honest. To learn everything about anything they can and to respect that which they don't understand. If you don't believe me you can ask them yourself. My son is IBZRG1527prestige, why don't you ask him.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbles View Post
Ok well didnt see the whole dude with sarcasm button on, wonder if your a fan of Malmsteen??

All Im asking Is a General area to start looking, Im not going to drop lots of cash only to hate what Is installed. If thats the case Ill just sit with the stock. All Im looking for is something as hot or hotter than a Dimebucker with out killing my ears with high end hiss and feed back that cant be easily controlled lol.. Thats what I didnt like about the dimebucker.
sorry to get off track Robbles...

The X2N can have a LOT of feedback, but that should be expected from hot pickups. Personally, I'm a BIG fan of the ToneZone/Air Norton combo that Dragster suggested and the Super Distortion is one DiMarzios best all around pups.

Have you been to the DiMarzio site, and if so, which pups perk your interest?

Tags
dimarzio , pick ups , s420

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode