So many model #'s, but which Prestige will be my perfect S? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

So many model #'s, but which Prestige will be my perfect S?

Trying to find the perfect S-series Prestige that will have 24 frets, and an Edge, LoPro or ProEdge and a color I'll like.

Problem is that if I do a search for S-series it seems that a lot of them don't show up, if I search by Prestige, I have to stumble through a bunch of RG's, and then there's the problem of having so many ZR trems and 22 fret models coming up.

Does anyone know if there is a definitive list that would tell me the model numbers which would match my search criteria? I can't be the only confused searcher out here, can I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 AM

Re: So many model #'s, but which Prestige will be my perfect S?

You can walk in to an Ibanez dealer and order a brand new guitar precisely matching your criteria.

However, I'm guessing that you're looking for something secondhand, this makes it trickier because nearly all the older S-series MIJ guitars are 22-fret so that means Edge Pro is out, so you're looking for one made since the Edge or Lo-Pro Edge were re-released in 2010.

There are not that many Prestige models to trawl through so it comes down to colour and that's a matter for you and you alone.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Portal:S series | Ibanez Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia Hope this helps! You're actually better trying out
any potential new guitar in person, unfortunately this is difficult if you have a specific spec in mind
however if you are familiar with the S Series range the link above may give you some insight.
Hoseki likes this.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Vendor

24 fret S's only come with Lo Pro's, they missed the whole Edge Pro phase by using ZR trems instead. Unless you're overseas [no location] there have been very few models available 24 fret Lo Pro.

S5570's in Q-quilt and TKS-non quilt
S6570Q's - quilt.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:55 PM

I think the signature KIKO and PWM MIJ models are S-series with 24-frets and Edge/Edge LP as well. They'll be rare as well I imagine.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Vendor

They are SA's
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Portal:S series | Ibanez Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia Hope this helps! You're actually better trying out
any potential new guitar in person, unfortunately this is difficult if you have a specific spec in mind
however if you are familiar with the S Series range the link above may give you some insight.
Daemon, that is exactly what I needed and then some!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
24 fret S's only come with Lo Pro's, they missed the whole Edge Pro phase by using ZR trems instead. Unless you're overseas [no location] there have been very few models available 24 fret Lo Pro.

S5570's in Q-quilt and TKS-non quilt
S6570Q's - quilt.
Try as I might I just can't get used to 22 frets after having played nothing but RG's for years now. Not concerned which of the three trems I mentioned I get, just so it's one of them and the LoPro is the one I'm most used to, so that's perfect. Just hate the ZR, although it sounded great on paper, no good for someone used to the traditional Edge action.

You seem to know a lot about them so could you tell me when they got rid of the neck plate? Definitely like my S-320 and S-540 lack of a neck plate and wondered how far back I could search without running into them.

Thanks so much for the info and I'm feeling more optimistic already.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
...I'm guessing that you're looking for something secondhand, this makes it trickier because nearly all the older S-series MIJ guitars are 22-fret so that means Edge Pro is out, so you're looking for one made since the Edge or Lo-Pro Edge were re-released in 2010.
Other than a couple acoustics, I've always bought my guitars used, mostly because of so much more bang for the buck and as noted, it's the difficulty of finding non-22 fret and non-ZR models that's been driving me nuts in my search. Love my S-540, but it's absolutely going on the market once I find the right 24 fret model, or two.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Vendor

Neck plate? Like 1991ish.

Forgot about the S6UC, blank ebony boards and uppercuts. But not all models shown in wiki will be available in all territories.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Vendor

I do have a couple S55's on clearance, almost like buy new for used pricing

IBANEZ S5570Q S5470QRBB
IBANEZ S5570Q S5570QDGD
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Neck plate? Like 1991ish.

Forgot about the S6UC, blank ebony boards and uppercuts. But not all models shown in wiki will be available in all territories.
From '91 on makes it pretty easy to avoid neck plated models and I'm starting to think I'll be needing to spend some time in Japan soon!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Vendor

Not if you want 24 frets, they didn't exist until 2009, and all had ZR trems. The S5570 would be the first 24 fret Lo Pro.
Hoseki likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not if you want 24 frets, they didn't exist until 2009, and all had ZR trems. The S5570 would be the first 24 fret Lo Pro.
Ooops, that's right, 24 frets is an absolute must.

So, would that be on Japan-only models as well? I am planning on going to Japan with S-search as one of my top priorities...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:40 AM
Vendor

The Egen was the first 24 fret S which migrated to the production lines the next year. Japan won't be any different, they may have a couple different colors.
Hoseki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode