so nobody here has the duct tape ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

so nobody here has the duct tape ibanez?

I dont blame you, its stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 07:48 PM

Steve has duct tape on the back of his guitar...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 07:54 PM

He's obviously referring to the new Noodles Signature Model. It's actually not a bad guitar...I'd definitely ditch the stock pickups, but the one I played this past weekend was quite decent.

Granted, it's a matter of individual taste as to whether or not the finish appeals to you. But...saying that something is stupid only reflects that same sentiment back upon oneself.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:21 PM

I touched one on Saturday to see what the finish feels like but then I noticed an RG3120 on the other side of the room. *droooooools*
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Vendor

What it looks and plays like is personal taste, but I find myself in need of the "puke" emoticon, not because of the duct tape, I just hate Talmans
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:21 AM

I'm with Rich on this one,Had it been an RG shape i'd possibly like it a little more,Hmmmm,Nah,don't know...God aweful finish tho

Rob
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 06:19 AM

Talmans look like someone left a Sabre on the dashboard on a hot day.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:02 AM

Could be, but my 93 TC530 kicks Strat-behind...sounds great, stays tuned, plays like an Ibanez and has a beautiful birdseye maple neck and headstock! (and I know it's that pointless Noodles signature we're talking about)

BTW People are more likely to say my Jems are ugly...especially the 7VWH...it's tacky...whatever
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 09:11 PM

the other guitar player in my band got a '94 TC630 .. i set it up for him .. plays pretty nice .. for a talman ;-)

~A
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:56 PM
x2n

re

hey,
I agree with the first post .......
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 01:18 AM

Just goes to show that just because you put a celeb's name on something, it doesn't guarantee a sale. Who want's a guitar that looks beat to hell when it's brand new? It's right up there with the rejected "Paul Gilbert Dog Doo model" or the "Joe Satriani Skidmark Panty Flying V" or the "Korn K7". Whoops, that last one made it to production, didn't it? Sorry.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 07:16 AM

Well Fender Relics sound good...those look pretty beat up...but duct tape is something only professionals may use for a distinct purpose! Don't mess with the DUCK!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:55 PM
x2n

re

hey,
Yeah the k-7,,,what a joke..
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 04:01 PM

It's amazing...the same thing being said about the K7 and the Noodles signature models are what a lot of people said and STILL say about certain other signature models from which this very forum takes it's name

It's easy to criticize, but until YOU have worldwide name recognition and your own signature models, it's a bit ludicrous to write something off as "stupid".

I would personally never own either the K7 or the NDM1, but...until I have a signature model that's better, I'll simply say that I don't care for the finishes or inlays on those guitars. That would be the mature thing to do

Stupid is as stupid does.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 08:17 PM

I guess my problem is that Ibanez would approve a guitar with such limited appeal. I can understand low-market-share models like the J-Customs, but they charge an arm and a leg for those, and the craftsmanship is worth it. They're not production guitars, for the most part. The K-7 isn't really a bad guitar - it's nicely put together, but it's got that freakin' "K7" logo on the fretboard which ruins it for everyone but a Korn fan with a lot of money, which is an oxymoron in the first place. When you compare it to a PGM or a JEM for that matter, those guitars don't say VAI or GILBERT in huge letters on the fretboard. You don't have to be a fan of either artist to like the design. It's (forgive me) basically an RG with cool paint and better hardware. It appeals to a lot of people, not just the artist's fans. For that matter, almost all of the SUCCESSFUL Ibanez signature models are cool variations on a proven design with broad market appeal. They're not limited to just that artist's fans.

With the duct tape guitar, to me, it just looks like crap. Anybody with a beat to hell Talman and a roll of silver miracle tape can do the same thing. Why pay extra for a factory job, especially if you're not a fan of it's namesake? My earlier examples were crude, but WOULD you buy a $1200 guitar smeared with dog poo just becase it had Paul Gilbert's or Steve Vai's name on it? OK, some of you would, but not enough to make a production model out of it. I gotta question Ibanez's marketing study on this one, guys.

Tags
birdseye maple neck , blues saraceno , george benson , joe satriani , maple neck , pat metheny , paul gilbert , production model , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode