So... The S Prestige series. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

So... The S Prestige series.

So... Is that sustain issue sill live with the S5470? I was thinking quite hardly about getting one till I saw all the complaints about sustain. I've heard a demo on youtube, but it was the SV series. Still it's the same problem people are complaining about with the S Prestige. It will sustain and then just kill out.

I was also wondering, with the thin body that this has, is it at all good for rhythm or mainly a lead guitar? I like to play a lot of drop D, but also play a lot of lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 PM

Reviews: 39
Re: So... The S Prestige series.

A good question, but not too much of an issue i'd say. Alot of the sustain too comes from your bridge setup and rig. I played a 5470 and really liked it. Sustain wise, I didn't detect much lack of sustain - but yet again a good vibrato aids in sustain. Tone wise, I think it comes down to more what you want for your lead tone. These day's i'm actually leaning more towards mahogany over basswood.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Yeah it seems to sustain fine as most say but all of a sudden it just quits. I just found this video now, and it's worse than I thought. Search "s series sustain" on youtube and click the first video (I can't post links....)

Some say it's due to the middle pickup, but I believe someone on this forum (Rich? maybe?) confirmed that changing the pickups didn't work.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Dude. How often do you need a guitar to sustain more than a few seconds anyway? They have good tone and sustain long enough for just about anything you would need to do musically, whats the big deal?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 PM

I just watched the vid, the guy is playing through a crappy solid state amp with no gain whatsoever, I am sure most any guitar would sustain almost the same with that setup. Maybe he is just used to that acoustic behind him, which is what the amp sounds like it is dialed for...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, it obviously has to do with style. Don't you agree? I like to let my notes ring. Especially if I'm using the tremolo over the ring. Though it's not how long it sustains but rather how it decays. It's not natural from the string and bodies point of view.

It could be his setup that's making it worse, but I don't think it's the cause of the root problem.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Vendor

Wind it up to 4:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPNJo7HQLY
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Great vid, have watched it many times. Great tone, and very impressive redeemer switch.

But when he menctions sustain, it sounds more like regular feedback to me.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Vendor

Maybe you should listen again. Sounds like the fundamental note to me, not a harmonic of it which is what feedback is, although anybody can argue that feedback itself is sustain.....
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Now that sustains! But even though it's an S series, it's a whole different monster, you gotta admit! Well, the body is the same and the bridge is... So are you saying if I buy the S and replace the pickups Ill be good?

People would talk about the older S models that were 21 fretted and how they could sustain for 20 seconds (basically like the one you just showed me, tho it being 24 fret), it seems people only complained about the s5470. Though again, the only real thing that has changed it seems is the pickups. It's got the hot grinders and the short tracer.

Just don't know if I should take the risk and end up with what the other guy had, even after a pickup change.

Thanks for your response.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Vendor

It's obviously a custom, HH, Edge Zero instead of ZR, and you can claim if you give Rob a Hondo he'll make it sing. So is it the guitar? Is it the setup? Is it his gear? Or is it Rob? The Doug Doppler Ibanez video was along the same line, and IIRC he was using a basically stock S5470. Although he doesn't slow down much to really show sustain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOpoOLLLzYA
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I know. He makes it sound great. Though, yeah, no real sustain demos on it.
I may try it out, do you suggest I get some real dimarzio's? I'm not sure how the prestige series ibanez's go as far as stock pickups.

Quick question:
This would be my first locking nut/floyd style guitar. When you lock down the nut and this possibly makes the strings go sharp, is this where the fine tuners come in hand?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe you should listen again. Sounds like the fundamental note to me, not a harmonic of it which is what feedback is, although anybody can argue that feedback itself is sustain.....
Still sounds like feedback to me. Notice how it becomes a bit louder at 4:53.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
although anybody can argue that feedback itself is sustain.....
Be my guest and explain how a string is supposed to "sustain" itself without being fed by something......
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:56 AM

What I'm saying is: the note at 4:45 starts ringing due to his picking, and afterwards it starts resonating, and that's why it starts sounding louder at 4:55.

That note would sustain forever if he wanted to, but I personally like to consider "sustain" what happens after a note is picked and how long it lasts but before feedback kicks in.

Tags
issues , pickups , sustain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode