So what the heck was this Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation So what the heck was this Ibanez?

Years ago I was at a party where a bunch of different people I didn't know were attending.

One guy brought his Ibanez RG guitar, distortion box and amp and here's what I remember about it:

Pink RG shaped body, pink painted matching headstock, tinted pink mirrored pickguard, pink knobs (rubberized if I recall). If I'm not mistaken the fretboard was maple instead of rosewood or ebony (surprising - I usually can't motor on maple boards).

Okay, so the thing was a pink nightmare to quote Ralphie's dad in a Christmas Story. But, it was a monster.

The thing was one of those rare guitars that elevated your technique as high as it could go. It maybe gave me about 5% on the speed side and maybe 6-7% on accuracy - it just seemed like the neck was somehow created to accomodate my personal technique and elevated it somehow.

I basically monopolized that guitar once I got a hold of it for the duration of the party (poor guy!).

The owner of the guitar basically said "holy crap, when you were younger is all you did is play guitar?" Kind of, but not like that.

So; my question to you; what the heck was this guitar? Where can I find one? Did it come in any other colors besides pink?

I've tried other RG's but most of them were newer. I'm guessing this was a 1988-1989 or 1990 model at the latest. The party I attended was probably in the early 1990s sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Re: So what the heck was this Ibanez?

wish I had an answer for this one, but Nice to see another Minnesota guy in here!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM

I'm going to suggest it was maybe an RG550 road flare red. I own one and the colour could well be described as pink, (not shocking pink like the Jems), although many of these models went more orange-y as they faded. It has the matching headstock and maple neck. Maybe the guy had swapped out the pickguard from black to pink mirrored and swapped the knobs out too. The RG550's came out from 1987 onwards.

Hope this helps!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Reviews: 120

It won't be a RFR, the OP mentioned a pink mirror pickguard. It'll be an RG550 or RG770DX, can't remember the colour name though, think it was something lavender.

EDIT:

Like this?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Probably a 1990 rg550 in coral mist metallic with a swapped pickguard.Coral mist is a pinkish color and pretty rare.I recently acquired one.I have owned many 550's over the years.But this particular guitar has some mojo.I have a hard time putting it down.The neck fits my hand perfectly.This is only the 2nd coral mist I have ever seen in person.The other was in orlando florida at a sam ash some years ago.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

It sounds like an RG5000 or RG550DX to me.

I'd think the colour Pink Neon, PN...

Last edited by jono; 02-04-2013 at 06:18 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM

PN is Purple Neon, but I think it's a DX. The tinted pickguard is a good detail to go by.

Is this close?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: So what the heck was this Ibanez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
PN is Purple Neon, but I think it's a DX. The tinted pickguard is a good detail to go by.

Is this close?

That's very close but this thing was actually bright dayglo pink - like, you couldn't mistake it for anything else. Maybe, just maybe it was a reddish color - did they issue one with a red mirror guard at any time?

It didn't appear faded as some colors do over time - it looked like that guitar had been cased for a long time because it looked new-ish like it hadn't been played much.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: So what the heck was this Ibanez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
It won't be a RFR, the OP mentioned a pink mirror pickguard. It'll be an RG550 or RG770DX, can't remember the colour name though, think it was something lavender.

EDIT:

Like this?
The one closest to the camera is most similar in appearance but the pink was like "obnoxious 80s pink". I'll keep looking.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Yikes - I was Google searching and this guitar came very close:
http://www.guitarmart.co.uk/advert/G04338

The only difference is the guitar I played had a maple board (although I prefer rosewood/ebony). At least I know I wasn't imagining things. Inlays are the same, pickguard is the same, pickup configuration is the same, matching headstock is right on.

Apparently the original color of this guitar WAS purple but over time it faded to pink. It didn't help that the new owner of the one I tried apparently installed new pink knobs throwing my "guitar spidey sense" off.

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 02-05-2013 at 04:41 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Yikes - I was Google searching and this guitar came very close:
http://www.guitarmart.co.uk/advert/G04338

The only difference is the guitar I played had a maple board (although I prefer rosewood/ebony). At least I know I wasn't imagining things. Inlays are the same, pickguard is the same, pickup configuration is the same, matching headstock is right on.

Apparently the original color of this guitar WAS purple but over time it faded to pink. It didn't help that the new owner of the one I tried apparently installed new pink knobs throwing my "guitar spidey sense" off.
Well that looks like a 94 RG550LTD which was introduced that year. When was your party again ?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM

The Purple Neon is a flipflop paint, so it can look brighter or darker, depending on the light and angle.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM

I play about 5% better when I`m drinking! Maybe 6%...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix21 View Post
I play about 5% better when I`m drinking! Maybe 6%...
LOL. what thread am I on again?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I know my friend was taking video at that party and it was a huge clunky vhs handicam. I said "early 90s" which is probably close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode