So, What's a PGM Like? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

So, What's a PGM Like?

Hey guys, new here,

I've recently been eyeing a PGM, 300, 301 hell even the 100 reissue (which are sold out now I think, of course ), however I have some questions seeing as I'd probably never get the chance to play one before buying. Is the neck joint on the 300 and 301 obstructive at all? Paul seems to get around it but it looks pretty huge when I look at it, at least the HSS one (which I think he said is bolted on different from the production ones because it uses the old Ibanez system for better tone). I'm assuming I'd be able to find a guitar with the same neck and see how I like it, besides that my main concern is that there don't seem to be many around, where would be the best place to look for these?

Also, what do the 300, 301 and the other common ones I suppose usually cost? Around 1k ish? There's a 300 with a FR on Ebay right now which looks really cool, but it seems a tad overpriced at I think 1300 bucks.

Also, are PGMs ever faked? If the seller doesn't have a Ibanez hardcase, is that a bit of a red flag?

Anyway, thanks for reading through all of that (assuming you've made it this far )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Re: So, What's a PGM Like?

yes they are faked, and as always, the best place to buy is from Rich at Ibanez rules
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

^Interesting, thanks. Just wondering, how old is this website? He's keeping it old school haha.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Guess he spends more time dealing with guitars than updating his website. Since he's a well known guy - especially on this forum - I would take the lack of a fancy site as a good sign.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

For sure, man after looking at all the examples of fakes on his site I'm a little scared

Recently had a less than mint 301 for 900 bucks, seems good to me. Hopefully he has some more around next June. I just wish they were still making new ones, though I'd still likely buy used lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Vendor

The day somebody talks me into some slick used car salesman website is the day I quit.

Paul's 301 is custom, any 301 or 300 you could buy has the all access neck joint. The 401 is the only current PGM [besides the Chinese Fireman] and it has the old plate joint, and you can expect any future models to have it also. PG has decided that's the tone transfer he wants.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The day somebody talks me into some slick used car salesman website is the day I quit.

That confused me for a second.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'd be damned if I could hear the difference between the 2 joints lmao. Just put a nice one aside for me if you wouldn't mind waiting like 8 months (well, that's assuming I don't want anything else by then )
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM

HA HA HA Chinese Fireman...

I plan on getting one soon. I wouldn't mind having a 401 either.

Last edited by jimistephen; 09-20-2011 at 07:32 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 PM

Reviews: 2

I love my PGM300 reissue. Says it has a prestige wizard neck 18-20 mm....yet it feels quite different than the wizard prestige necks on my rg1420's -same specs. Actually feels a tiny bit thicker than the Rg's, especially around the 10th fret on up. It also feels much different than my Jems, but it is similar enough to all of them to be really comfortable.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM

i have an old beat up pgm100! great guitar! plays like butter! superb guitar! i love it a lot!
buy that one if you can, it have some magic in it!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Whats a PGM like...its AWESOME!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 PM

I'd love to have a PMG100, but I'll settle for a RG770 in JB.

Tags
gilbert , paul , pgm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode