So who here is into Les Pauls? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:31 PM

Re: So who here is into Les Pauls?

I love the way they look, but I don't know about how they play. I like the look of a black Les Paul.

I also always liked honey burst. I don't know about the inlays on this particular model, though.

Kind regards,
Alwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 05:21 PM

It typically comes down to whether or not you're a Fender guy or a Gibson guy. Since pretty much all shred guitars are of Fender Strat DNA with the flat profile/low bridge that sits farther back on the top vs. Gibsons with the angled neck and higher bridge that sits forward on the top, it's easy to to understand why most people are either or.

I know I could learn to play a Paul and get used to it, but I never cared to because I was so comfortable with the flat Fender design. What Fender did ergonomicially (way back in the 50's when that sort of thing was not really a science) was nothing short of astonishing. The Les Paul and just about any semi-hollow guitar just feels super uncomfortable to me. Instead of innovating with the Les Paul, Gibson decided to make it a smaller, solid archtop just like they had been doing since their beginning (except for the solid part).

Plus, when you realize what Fender contributed to amplified music it makes Gibson pale in comparison...

1. Tube combo amps that worked reliably and sounded great loud for the first time in the history of the guitar amp. The component design of these early amps went on to become the de-facto basis for many of today's popular amps... Marshall, Boogie, etc.

2. The Tele. Started it all. Without this innovative guitar we'd all be playing Jazz boxes right now.

3. The Les Paul was Gibson's answer to the Tele, which they initially laughed at and said would never sell. Fast forward a few years and they find themselves competing with the "boat paddle" Tele... so they release the Les Paul... and what does Fender do in the same year? They release the Sratocaster (the most popular and copied guitar in history) and the first ever ELECTRIC BASS guitar (yep, they invented it). lol! Poor Gibson. They've been behind ever since.

None of the above changes anything about the argument, but I just thought I'd share. I like the sound of Les Pauls, but I'm with Dee on the ergonomics... just can't get used to it and they are way too expensive to just have one laying around that barely gets played. Too much other stuff I want.

RR
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: So who here is into Les Pauls?

I am not a huge fan but I do want a John Sykes LP in my collection!!!
post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 08:45 PM

I got a '80 goldtop LP in the later 80s and couldnt' get used to it because I always played sitting down. The weight distribution was weird compared the '62 reissue strat I had as well (which balanced very well on the leg while sitting). So I sold that lp. I hacked that strat up trying to turn it into ... something, and when I finally got a red 540 Radius in '89 I knew what I was trying to turn that strat into. The strat got sold and I've been keeping with the ultimate evolution of the strat design since: the 540R.

Anyway, I got to wanting an LP again and hopped on some Epiphones, buying and selling and trading to buy again. When the money was there I got a gibson goldtop. Then another. They are awesome. I play standing now and love them. Compared to the lp and the ibanez guitars, a fender strat feels giant and unwieldy now.

post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM

Hey, cool - that's a '52 Reissue isn't it? Nice to see that Gibson adjusted the neck angle so that the strings go OVER the bridge on the reissue, as opposed to UNDER on the original '52 - man, that was such a wierd idea!

Really nice shot by the way!
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Hey, cool - that's a '52 Reissue isn't it?
Actually, Gibson's 52 Reissue had the same bad neck angle as the original. They duplicated the flaw for historical accuracy. How's *that* for weird.

This one is a 54 Reissue that I modified the tailpiece posts for so an original '52 Goldtop trapeze tailpiece would work with it. The bar on the tailpiece is actually from a 50s ES225. I have the original goldtop bar but the string bores through it are opposite than the 225 piece. The 225 one is a bit longer too and that helps cover up a gouge I put in the finish while modding. All good.
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm loving Les Pauls at the moment. I promised myself a major swap around recently and that's exactly what I did, so here are a few of my latest acquisitions...

Can you love Strats and Les Pauls? Of course! (The Strat is actually a custom made up from a squier, but it'll nearly all be original Fender by the time I'm finished with it )

It makes for a brilliant breath of fresh air from the usual Ibanez/DiMarzio stuff.

Last edited by Davey; 05-05-2007 at 01:40 PM.
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:41 PM

I love a nice-playing Les Paul. Notice I said "nice-playing", as I've played quite a few in the past couple of years that were sheer crap.
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Alot of the newer Les Pauls I play just don't feel that good to me. However, every once in a while, I'll come across one that fits like a glove (perfect weight, perfect sound, etc). With that said, I think every guitarist should end up having at least one Les Paul in his collection.
post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhea View Post
It typically comes down to whether or not you're a Fender guy or a Gibson guy.
Why do you have to be one or the other?
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 05:02 PM

Nice collection Ibanez249. I totaly agree about the "breath of fresh air" bit.

Ben
post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Nice guitars Dave
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Why do you have to be one or the other?
I agree. you don't. Some people, for some reason, feel the need to draw an imaginary line, I guess. If you like how it looks, how it plays, how it sounds, and can afford it, get it, no matter WHAT it is or WHAT someone else may say. I like having a little bit of everything around, cause they all have their place. I love Ibanez RGs, but, right now, I don't have a Les Paul, and really wanting one, too. My stable is currently kinda heavy on the Strat side. A Paul would be a breath of fresh air. Lost sight of that, till I set our singer's Les Paul up, for him, and was just diggin' it.
post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Reviews: 26

i have one LP standard in my collection.. use it mostly for my studio work.. well its a well made guitars all LP are.. but im not really into it.. love rg's better...
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:30 AM

I agree with that whole line thing existing.
It doesn't need to be but then again some people feel that certain guitars
are only good for certain things.

I love my Ibanez' Kramers and my LP's
I have a mint 1970 Les Paul custom with small volute (not black beauty, still looking for one)
and a 1977 Les paul gold top in players condition. This one by far blows the custom out of the water and is really a players guitar.

I just love them all......

Tags
chrome knobs , clean tone , combo amp , custom shop , david mccarroll , doug aldrich , electric guitar , fender strat , gibson les paul , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez rga , jackson soloist , john sykes , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , locking nut , locking nuts , neck angle , neck pickup , paul gilbert , pickup switch , shred guitars , strap button , super strat , tube combo , tube combo amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode