So who here is into Les Pauls? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Re: So who here is into Les Pauls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I love the CE24's, congrats on the score!
Thanks Jim

And a pic of it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM

I absolutely love the tone of a Les Paul (with the minor exception of the funny trebly portion of the tone) but I always felt that it weighted a ton. Plus I favor the "super Strat" style bodies of the RG line. Ever since the release of the Ibanez RGA line with the arched top maple caps, I've been wanting to try one. If I bought one, I'd probably put PAF-Pro's into it.
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 PM

That's a nice PRS Gurj, I'm digging the burst on it!

How you finding the trem?
post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks mate

Trems okay and it surprised me how well it stayed in tune without locking nuts. But I'm more used to the lo-pro/edge/OFR/etc trems and I haven't really been using this trem that much. Ideally I'd love a hardtail. Plus tone wise it really has a really beefy sound. I've got it tuned down to D and it sounds ****ing awesome! What a growl, more than anything else I've owned including the LP Custom.
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 04:00 PM

I don't see why anyone under the age of sixty would really be interested in a Les Paul guitar. I mean really, BY the sixties they were outdated... BUT it has become an iconic symbol that just won't seem to die. The Les Paul is probably the first thing most people on this miserable sphere think of when they hear the word "guitar." I guess there is something nostalgic about the Les Paul that still inspires people to make music, just like the Model-T inspired the automobile so long ago. Of course, they don't still try to sell Model-T's and pass them off as the same as a modern car.
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM

Well, granted it's not a Zachery.
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I don't see why anyone under the age of sixty would really be interested in a Les Paul guitar. I mean really, BY the sixties they were outdated... BUT it has become an iconic symbol that just won't seem to die. The Les Paul is probably the first thing most people on this miserable sphere think of when they hear the word "guitar." I guess there is something nostalgic about the Les Paul that still inspires people to make music, just like the Model-T inspired the automobile so long ago. Of course, they don't still try to sell Model-T's and pass them off as the same as a modern car.

So I guess a Stradivarius is a really crappy old outdated violin? You'd be much better of with one of these...

post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
What? Dino, come on, you're kidding, right? Dude, I'm 39, and LOVE a nice Les Paul. And they have NEVER been outdated. If they WERE, they wouldn't be selling them, and continue to be one of the most popular guitars of all time. Yeah, I started out on a Les Paul copy, and, at the time, hated it, cause I didn't think it looked cool, like a Mockingbird, or Warlock. But, I also matured, and learned that looks aren't the ONLY thing to gauge a guitar by. IMHO, nothing beats the sound of a Paul, plugged into a Marshall stack. I think you're just having a bad day, maybe. Sounding rather bitter, at the world, there. Don't worry, be happy.
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Well, granted it's not a Zachery.

ZachAry!
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Remember the last "A" is for A**hole.....
post #71 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
So I guess a Stradivarius is a really crappy old outdated violin? You'd be much better of with one of these...

Actually that is pretty cool! My daughter saw it and now she wants one... Thanks!
post #72 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Here's my "Les Paul"
http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...=MrDarinWarren
post #73 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
What? Dino, come on, you're kidding, right? Dude, I'm 39, and LOVE a nice Les Paul. And they have NEVER been outdated. If they WERE, they wouldn't be selling them, and continue to be one of the most popular guitars of all time. Yeah, I started out on a Les Paul copy, and, at the time, hated it, cause I didn't think it looked cool, like a Mockingbird, or Warlock. But, I also matured, and learned that looks aren't the ONLY thing to gauge a guitar by. IMHO, nothing beats the sound of a Paul, plugged into a Marshall stack. I think you're just having a bad day, maybe. Sounding rather bitter, at the world, there. Don't worry, be happy.
I don't mind the way they look,in fact, I think it is the way they look that makes them so popular. I have owned two Les Pauls, one was a cusomized studio that was stolen and the second was from the custom shop. They are not really that bad, they are just old. Gibson realized this back in the sixties and tried to replace it with what we now call the SG. The SG was poorly concieved and has an unstable neck and tends to neck dive. The strap button is in the most irritating place imaginable. Guitarists cried out and so they brought back the original design. The SG won a few fans, so they continued to make that as well. These designs have just never been improved or evolved in any way. At least not by Gibson.

They rely heavily on advertising endorsements and ignorance to sell these guitars. Most of the expensive ones are bought by businessmen who don't even play them, they just wanted one when they were a kid and so now they finally have the money to spend. My brother is the same way, he is a UFC cage fighter and can only play like two chords but he insists on having an ESP Explorer like James Hetfield played at this concert we went to years ago.

The Les Paul is a cool looking guitar, and has been played by many cool players. That is the reason they are still around. When it comes down to it the sound can be (and is) replicated by many modern guitars that are much lighter and easier to play.
post #74 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
You are a jammin' fool and I love the sound of that JSX. Is that straight into the amp?

Wait, that is not a Les Paul! Who you tryin' to fool.
post #75 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Remember the last "A" is for A**hole.....
"Attitude" maybe I will agree with.

Tags
chrome knobs , clean tone , combo amp , custom shop , david mccarroll , doug aldrich , electric guitar , fender strat , gibson les paul , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez rga , jackson soloist , john sykes , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , locking nut , locking nuts , neck angle , neck pickup , paul gilbert , pickup switch , shred guitars , strap button , super strat , tube combo , tube combo amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode