So who here is into Les Pauls? - Page 6 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Re: So who here is into Les Pauls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
You are a jammin' fool and I love the sound of that JSX. Is that straight into the amp?

Wait, that is not a Les Paul! Who you tryin' to fool.
It has a tad of effect on it in the loop. But all the tone is pure JSX, nothing added EQ wise at the amp, or in the recording. It actually sounds better than that. Since I had to make it uploadable, the sound is a bit compromised.

Yep, you busted me, it's not a LP. Not that there's anything wrong with them. I just never played one I personally liked. And of all the PRS's, the Tremonti Se really does it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I don't see why anyone under the age of sixty would really be interested in a Les Paul guitar. I mean really, BY the sixties they were outdated... BUT it has become an iconic symbol that just won't seem to die. The Les Paul is probably the first thing most people on this miserable sphere think of when they hear the word "guitar." I guess there is something nostalgic about the Les Paul that still inspires people to make music, just like the Model-T inspired the automobile so long ago. Of course, they don't still try to sell Model-T's and pass them off as the same as a modern car.

Ahhh, um, I don't really like Les Pauls Dino (and yep, I've owned about five so far - maybe I just don't learn quickly), but Telecasters have been around for four years longer than LPs, and Strats only two years less, yet about 98% of the electric guitars sold in the world today either ARE one of these, or a reasonably close derivative (and I include RGs and JEMs in that category) - I don't think nostalgia inspires people to make music on a Les Paul, I think it's the fact that for a heck of a lot of people, a Les Paul through a Marshall is the ultimate stinkin' rock beast!

I just picked up a stunning PRS Singlecut Trem - I love it - easily one of the nicest guitars I have ever had, but having said that, even to me, the Singlecut is really just a Les Paul with the wrinkles ironed out!

Cheeers

David
post #78 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Guitarists cried out and so they brought back the original design.
I think that comment says alot of things about the Les Paul. Even though Gibson tried to "better" the guitar with the SG (which, for the record, I hate,but that's my own preference), people really DID like the Les Paul, as it WAS. I think that still hold true, today.

Quote:
When it comes down to it the sound can be (and is) replicated by many modern guitars that are much lighter and easier to play.
I.i.i.i.i.i.i.i.m.m.m.m.m.m not really sold on that. I mean, I've owned tons of guitars (God bless my wife! She's been SO patient during my moments of extreme GAS!) in the past 27 years, and not many did the Les Paul "thing" as well as THE Les Paul. My Hamer SATF came pretty close, but at the end of the day, it was essentially trying to be a Les Paul Double Cut (Still, it WAS a great guitar. Sorry I sold it.........but that's another story...) It's a combination of the heft of the guitar, the set neck, the Gibson pickups, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I've more than played my share of LPs that felt and sounded like ASS (Most of them, in the past several years!). However, guitar-shape fad have come and gone, but a good Les Paul, in my eyes (and ears) will always be timeless.
post #79 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM

I'm not trying to bash them, playing a Les Paul (or a strat for that matter) is like driving a cool old vintage car. Like a 57 Chevy, and I guess a strat would be like a 641/2 mustang. The only point I make is that better guitars now exist. They are like ZO6's and and BMW's. I guess Ibanez would be like a cool Japanese car, an Evo or an STi.
post #80 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
I think that comment says alot of things about the Les Paul. Even though Gibson tried to "better" the guitar with the SG (which, for the record, I hate,but that's my own preference), people really DID like the Les Paul, as it WAS. I think that still hold true, today.

I.i.i.i.i.i.i.i.m.m.m.m.m.m not really sold on that. I mean, I've owned tons of guitars (God bless my wife! She's been SO patient during my moments of extreme GAS!) in the past 27 years, and not many did the Les Paul "thing" as well as THE Les Paul. My Hamer SATF came pretty close, but at the end of the day, it was essentially trying to be a Les Paul Double Cut (Still, it WAS a great guitar. Sorry I sold it.........but that's another story...) It's a combination of the heft of the guitar, the set neck, the Gibson pickups, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I've more than played my share of LPs that felt and sounded like ASS (Most of them, in the past several years!). However, guitar-shape fad have come and gone, but a good Les Paul, in my eyes (and ears) will always be timeless.
You make a good point there. Just the fact that guitars are made trying to sound like a LP says alot...
post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 PM

Ehy, when all's said and done, it ultimately comes down to personal preferences, right? Good to know that everybody shares different ones. Otherwise, life would be boring, and only one or two guitar companies would probably exist, raping the customer...................wait, that just about already happens........DOH!
post #82 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Actually that is pretty cool! My daughter saw it and now she wants one... Thanks!

They're cheap enough. $99.00
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 AM

I'll run that thing through the POD and see what I can get out of it.
post #84 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
So I guess a Stradivarius is a really crappy old outdated violin? You'd be much better of with one of these...

You know, I read somwhere that the reason Stradivarius violins had such good tone was because there was somekind of weather anomaly, like a drought or something that affected the trees that were used to make the violins. This did something to the wood that still to this day they can't be duplicated.
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM

only ever played one les paul i liked and it was just for the clean tone on the neck pickup.. and it was over 4 grand
post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You know, I read somwhere that the reason Stradivarius violins had such good tone was because there was somekind of weather anomaly, like a drought or something that affected the trees that were used to make the violins. This did something to the wood that still to this day they can't be duplicated.
There are a lot of theories. On some of them the F-holes are not even symetrical. It looks like he was much more interested in the sound than in cosmetic perfection.
post #87 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 PM

I do. 2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst.

By rickcard1971, shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2010-01-06
post #88 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 2

I think that when it comes to a Lp it's all about the setup
post #89 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 PM

Reviews: 19

I am a fan.
I like most guitars though.
But I have always loved LP's, especially Heritage Cherry Sunbursts with three pups......
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 AM

I don't own one or play one but I'm a fan of the tones.

You very rarely hear a BAD sounding Les Paul( never ? ) and I've heard so many great tones out of them over the years, from famous and not famous players. Same with ES 335 and 345.

If I ever had one I'd have a single coil right in between the Humbuckers- not to sound like a Strat but to milk ALL the tones out of the Les Paul.

No - I won't let anyone carve up a vintage one- It'll be new.....

So I'm a FAN but not an owner.

Tags
chrome knobs , clean tone , combo amp , custom shop , david mccarroll , doug aldrich , electric guitar , fender strat , gibson les paul , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez rga , jackson soloist , john sykes , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , locking nut , locking nuts , neck angle , neck pickup , paul gilbert , pickup switch , shred guitars , strap button , super strat , tube combo , tube combo amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in