So why did Ibanez stop using the original Edge? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

So why did Ibanez stop using the original Edge?

Was it too expensive to keep making or did they go by the marketing idea that people need change every so often or they get bored and go elsewhere?

I know there are various versions of "Edge" tremolo but it seems everyone prefers the original in terms of tuning stability and functionality. If it was so awesome, why did they change it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM

Re: So why did Ibanez stop using the original Edge?

The new JEMs have an Original Edge, just without the words on the tail.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read the OP carefully enough. I went off into a rant about the Zero trems... heh. Deleted my original response.

Last edited by webmaestro; 12-06-2012 at 01:35 PM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 21

To answer the original question I think it's because Hoshino likes to fix what isn't broken.

As far as the OE's that are still produced: AFAIK the licensing disclamer doesn't need to be on the tail as Floyd Rose's original patent expired.

I have no idea why it's not still put on standard production models. OE looks like it would be cheaper to make than the EZ. Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe it's a material cost thing.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Ah yes, one of the true great mysteries of our time!!!

Word is though that Hoshino loves their new trem so it's been a fight for the proper Edge to claw it's way back
jono is online  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM

The fact that the Vai/UV, Satch, and Jem models only come with the non-EZ trems says a lot... to me anyway.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM

if i am not mistaken it had something to do with paying royalties to floyd rose's patents. By making the different edge trems after the orignal they avoided paying the extra royalties and once the patents where up Ibanez went back to making the original because it is in fact better and they aren't paying extra to make it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The new JEMs have an Original Edge, just without the words on the tail.
I seem to remember hearing that. I was asking about for normal affordable guitars, I just forgot to specify. For those of who us don't want to spend $2,599 on a Jem but still want an Ibanez, nothing in the RG3xx, 4xx, 5xx etc. lines come with an original Edge.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Well, I guess Ibanez has to mix it up a bit to meet different price points and tastes.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
The fact that the Vai/UV, Satch, and Jem models only come with the non-EZ trems says a lot... to me anyway.
I don't know about that. All it says is that they have been using something for so long they don't want to change. You know how people (especially guitarists) are about habits.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 PM

One of the reasons Ibanez had to pay patent fees for every unit sold. I'd imagine selling hundreds of thousands of guitars a year makes it not a bad idea to try and move away from those fees. Somebody above mentioned that patent has expired, does anybody know if they are off the hook patent fee wise now?

Another reason is I'd imagine is innovation and marketing. It helps sell guitars when you have a new trem with new features to advertise and market rather than using the same trem for 30 years. It also introduces some variety for buyers to choose from.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 AM

i miss the lo-pro edge......

rich
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM

The Lo Pro Edge didn't solve the royalty problem. Neither did the Edge Pro for that matter. On the Edge Pro, rather than being cast into the metal, it's just a sticker on the sustain block. They didn't stop paying royalties until the patent expired.

You need to look at a bigger picture than just Ibanez to understand the switch from the Edge to the Lo Pro Edge. Ibanez wasn't the only company to develop a low profile Floyd-style trem. Floyd Rose themselves make the Floyd Rose Pro, which is very similar to a Lo Pro Edge.

The entire concept of a superstrat is innovation. Staying with traditional ideas is contrary to the concept. The reason you're seeing the Edge come back is that it's what Vai and Satriani want on their own personal guitars. You aren't seeing it on other models. You'd have to ask them why they prefer it. Vai has made some fairly cryptic comments about it.

You'd have to weigh both trems to really get an idea of how they might behave differently. You'd also have to look at where the weight is on the trem and the effect that might have on how it behaves.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Reviews: 21

I've been saying it since EZ came out. If the top endorsed artists won't use it that really says something. I suspect there's more than one reason Steve and Joe don't use them.
1. They like the original Edge better.
2. Original Edge and Lo-Pro Edge look like they'd be easier for a guitar tech to work on, especially in the racing pits during a show or just before.

Those are my guesses anyway. I think EZ is okay but, no, not as simple or as practical as OE or LoPro Edge. IMO anyway.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 PM

I'm sure some appreciate the fact that the newer trems handle a string break better but the Edge trem is perfect IMO, innovation in this case, didn't advance anything, just caused a lot of us to stick to older OE or LP trem guitars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode