soloist - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

soloist

In trying to choose between a Jackson soloist and a Ibanez prestige (rg2570) I've noticed there's quite a difference in price. Are the guitars really both top of the line and comparable to each other, or is the prestige line like a budget line below the j-customs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:51 PM

Re: soloist

Me personally: I'd go with the soloist, due to the fact that it's neck-thru, OFR, and Duncans. I also like the DK1; ebony, emgs, etc...

Between those two, the choice is obvious, but it's up to you, and I'm sure you'll hear all kinds of different opinions, too.

If you're looking to spend the kind of money on a soloist, I think there are a lot of different Ibanez that you should check out first.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 PM

I was under the impression that the top of the line stuff from Ibanez other than the sig stuff is the J-Custom and the top RGT models.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM

The RGT models aren't any "higher quality" than the other Prestige RGs. The main difference is that they are neck-thru guitars as opposed to bolt-on. J-customs are the highest end models that Ibanez currently makes but the regular prestige line is nothing to sneer at. If you can afford them both then I would simply make the decision on which is the most comfortable to you.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 PM

yeah, neck thru doesn't mean higher quality, which many people seem to believe for some reason. it's merely a different option in construction, tone and feel. there are advantages of each type and many players (such as myself) actually prefer the sound of a bolt on.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Yeah, i've never understood why lots of people consider neck-thru to be better.

Given the choice i'd pick a bolt-on everytime... mainly because of practical reasons
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM

Both are fine guitars, but I'd go with the Soloist myself, especially if it's an SL1 with the S/S/H configuration (and NOT black). Put a maple board on the Ibanez and you'd change my mind though
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

The soloist definately beats the Ibanez in looks; I'm not sure about the venerial disease finish on the 2570, I'd like to see it. Both guitars seem to play well but I wonder about how the ibanez would hold up through some good kit at high volumes, especially with the pickups not being bona fide dimazios. I really don't understand why they don't use real pickups on their 'prestige' line. I would prefere the soloist I think but there's also a lot I could spend $800 on (the difference).
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:52 PM

Depends on what type of music you do, but all the guitars mentioned here are good, if you play metal a lot go for the Jackson Soloist neck thru job, good for the money you pay, if not spend some mega bucks & go the J custom,
bolt on neck guitars don't sustain like a neck thru guitar but they do sound good with good pickups fitted or even a sustainer like some of Vai's guitars.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:55 AM

Which Jackson soloist are you thinking about? The Soloist SL-2H or SL-1 are $2,000 and $1,800 respectively vs the 2570 which is $880. I've tried the SL-2H and SL-1 several times wanting to like them but although they are nice, they aren't any better to me (except the pickups) than the Prestige line. And I like the Edge Pro on the Prestige line much better than the OFR on the soloists. If you want a neck through guitar, the RGT220A or H are much better in my opinion and I think the soloists are overpriced. You won't know until you try them all out and see how they feel/play to you though.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking at the sl2h rather than the sl1. Here the J-Customs are as just about much as the soloist. I can get the soloist for about $1600 shipped.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:01 AM

I like the SL2H. I also like the DK1. Have you checked that one out?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I didn't play the DK1 but the SL2H and DK1 were hanging side by side. I could see clearly that the neck join wouldn't cut it, it's like a fender mex, just a big chunk of wood sticking out at the back. I was going to go for the DK1 originally but now I wouldn't even consider it. The Ibanez bolt on has a good neck join, I'd say it's almost as good as the jackson neck thru.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 06:54 AM

Soloists are great. I want one really badly!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Yeah, i've never understood why lots of people consider neck-thru to be better.

Given the choice i'd pick a bolt-on everytime... mainly because of practical reasons
Because they play metal and are ignorant to everything else most of the time, or their idea of a bolt on is a squier strat.

Tags
jackson soloist , neck thru , playing guitar , squier strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode