some 7 string questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

some 7 string questions

i think my next guitar will be a 7-string, they just seem too badass for words and that lower end chunk is really appealing as well as the heap of other things they let you do.

i went to my good ol' local music shop a while back because i wanted to actually try a 7-string. one of the guys there said "oh, we only stock the non-prestige level ibanez 7 string, but we don't have any 7-strings in stock, i mean, come on, they're kinda 80's right...nobody needs a 7 string..."

uh-huh. if i've learnt one thing from my experiences at guitar stores (about 4 years worth) is to NEVER, EVER trust anything any one of those bastards tells you. seriously, the amount of times i've been told something and later found it out to be completely incorrect is huge.

anyway, i was wondering, does that extra 5mm on the neck affect you that much? does it make it noticeably harder to play certain things? i have small hands but i've never really run into any lick that i've found hard to play because of the size of my hands.

also, is the universe the only ibanez 7-string with a single coil? i'm kinda bummed if it is because i actually use the single coil (especially split with the buckers).

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: some 7 string questions

Dude, farkin go for it...like me, you'll never go back!!! I'm even selling off all my 6's!!!!!
Music stores will almost always tell you things that will make a sale...and that blows!!
You'll get used to the extra meat on the neck and once you do, a 6 string will feel like theres something missing!!! Certain things are easier to play because of the extra string and you dont have to travel to different parts of the neck!!! And chords will sound huge with the low B!
My hands arent that big either and i love 7's......they rule!!!!
Unfortunately, i believe the universe is the only single coil equiped model(ibanez that is)!!! *someone correct me if im wrong* But there is something about the universes that just have mojo....they are freekin awesome!!!! My green dot uv7bk is an extension of me...i love it and will never part with it.........my uv777pbk,looks beautiful,but doesnt have that bite the old ones do!!!! Thats my 2cents bout that!!!
Dont be afraid to try other brands too, everyone is different dude and there are some killer models out there!!!
So get your arse in gear and start crankin out some low B carnage!!!!
Horns high dude!!!!!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 AM

Reviews: 4

Man, things aren't harder to play on a 7 string AT ALL!!!! They are so easy to play. Even the smallest hands I've seen can play 3 note per string runs starting at the b.
The Universe may be the only HSH 7 Available now but the 1527 is stunning and has 5 way config with split humbuckers that rock!!!

Join the 7 string gang.

Come on. Just a little further....
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM

I'm actually more of a 6 string player, but I bought a 7 string to goof around on. I instantly found that I enjoy the extra tone you seem to get off the fatter 7 string neck. The harmonics on my 7620 are killer.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:19 AM

Join the dark side
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Is no problem at all. I've got small hands, and have no issues at all

GO for it, go find yourself a second hand UV and play the crap out of it!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 AM

Universe all the way!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
Universe all the way!
mmm, problem is i'm not a fan of signature models. sounds lame, but i don't want to play steve vai's guitar. it gives you're audience and yourself especially a wrong vibe; you feel too...vai'ey playing jems and stuff.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:58 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
mmm, problem is i'm not a fan of signature models. sounds lame, but i don't want to play steve vai's guitar. it gives you're audience and yourself especially a wrong vibe; you feel too...vai'ey playing jems and stuff.
Then go for a 1527!!!!!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM

If there was another ibby 7 with a single coil id be all over it too!!!!!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
*Ahem*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAm-WK1Vjc

Watch that and tell me you are getting a "Vai"be from Mr. Tosin Abasi on the guitar.

I used to feel that way too, but after I played a few shows on my Jem I got over it, most people in the audience do not even know it is a signature model, they are just like dang cool handle in your guitar maaannnn.

If I had the funds for a Universe I would be all over it haha.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 AM

I have to comment because I've got a Universe and I really dont play the metal that requires the low B string....and I have thought about selling it at different times...but that guitar plays so well...and being able to go below a low E note adds so much. No need to drop D tune...low B chords sounds killer. And regarding the sig models...almost all of my guitars are Vai models (except for RGA321 and my Taylors)...and I have never once heard a comment from anyone in the audience about it. I think we guitarists let some of that crap play in our heads too much....if the UV is the only 7 with the pickup arrangement you need, then get over the silly head games and get one. They are awesome guitars and isn't that the REAL point when buying an instrument?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake
anyway, i was wondering, does that extra 5mm on the neck affect you that much? does it make it noticeably harder to play certain things? i have small hands but i've never really run into any lick that i've found hard to play because of the size of my hands.
not at all. i'm 5'5"/165cm and my GR has treated me well though I should be stretching my fretting hand more often :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake
also, is the universe the only ibanez 7-string with a single coil? i'm kinda bummed if it is because i actually use the single coil (especially split with the buckers).
... a 1077XL/2077XL has a single but that's a different beast from a UV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK
My green dot uv7bk is an extension of me...i love it and will never part with it.........
totally agree with ya there... I've always wanted a 7bk [and still gas'n for one] but I ended up with the GR through chance.

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 06-07-2009 at 12:22 PM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 AM

Buy a used 7620, put some new pups in it, and be done. You can find these for around $400 if you look..
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

My prestige rg 1570 neck is more comfortable than my 6 strings.
Delicious to play.

Tags
7 string , single coil , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode