Some clips and a quick photo of Soloway #001 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Some clips and a quick photo of Soloway #001

For those of you who have been following the saga, I finally have my first two guitars assembled and setup. There's still a couple problems. There is a grounding/shielding problem that has to be resolved, but that should be done over the next day or two.

Here are the first 2 clips with Swan #001. There is no EQ or effects on this at all. I just plugged it into my amp and ran a line direct using the neck humbucker only. It's the first time I've ever been able to record a 7 string with no EQ without having the low end blow away the speakers.

The body and neck for the first 6 string should be done by Thursday, so it sould be up and running in about 4 weeks.

Here are the first 2 clips with Swan #001. There is no EQ or effects on this at all. I just plugged it into my amp and ran a line direct using the neck humbucker only. It's the first time I've ever been able to record a 7 string with no EQ without having the low end blow away the speakers.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/Swan01.mp3

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/Swan02.mp3

And here's just a very quick photo to make everyone happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 11:38 PM

Hey Jim, the guitar looks great, and I love your playing. I can't wait to collect all of the Swan/Soloway samples....keep em coming.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:33 AM

Wow, does that ever sound (and look) fantastic, Jim! The low end is so clean and crisp, but not overpowering. Very articulate and clear across the whole spectrum.

Excellent job!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:34 AM

Oh, one question: Were those recordings done with the magnetic pickup, the piezo, or both?

Which DiMarzio are you using in there?

(Okay, that was two questions. I never was good at math.)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Oh, one question: Were those recordings done with the magnetic pickup, the piezo, or both?

Which DiMarzio are you using in there?

(Okay, that was two questions. I never was good at math.)
That was the neck humbucker only. The guitar has an enormous amount of acoustic zing, even in humbucker mode. The pickup is a Dimarzio PAF 7.

It's the third guitar I've used it in and I love it as a neck pickup. Mine is the only one with a single pickup. The others have an Air Norton in the bridge and I may ultimately put one in mine as well.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:10 AM

nice nice nice babe!

congrats Jim!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:01 AM

Man, that is the sweetest clean tone I've ever heard, it almost sounds acoustic, but with that extra warmth.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:47 PM

I wonder how it would sound with the air norton in the neck instead of the paf 7...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:10 PM

Great guitar, Jim! Very elegant, (looks like a jazz box. Hey, what's wrong with pointy geetars anyway? ) sounds fantastic! And your playing is real sweet as always. Nice job brother.

So, what will these go for? Are they going to be production, semi-production, or one-shot customs on a per-order basis? Really curious, because even though I'm cash strapped at the moment, when finances allow, one of these beauties looks like a real must-have.

BTW Jemlegacy, I'm with you on the Air Norton. I think it's one of the best neck pickyps ever (and even terrific for jazz, no lie.)
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. All the encouragement I've gotten here has been a really help. Here's a bunch of answers, comments and some better pictures.

These are best described as semi-production guitars. I've built a few up front, but ideally, each will be built to order and I'll accomodate as many of the customers wishes as possible.

Some of the features are carved in stone: the neck profile and the body shape especially. Designing these in such a way that I could keep the guitar physically both light and balanced was a lot of work and I wouldn;t want to mess with that. The total weight is only 7 pounds and it hangs on a strap perfectly without pulling down at all. So that's not going to change. Besides, as Ibanez players, you guys would feel right at home on this neck. It's pretty much the same feel and dimensions as my 7421XL.

Other features are infintely changable.

We can provide just about any finish you can think of and if there's any difficulty with that I'm willing to send it out to LGM for one of his mini-miracles. The only finish I'd like to avoid is bare oil because it can lead to maintainance issues dwn the line as the oil dries out.

Pickups are almost infintely changable, especially among different Dimarzios. I now have a really good working relationship with Dimarzio and I'm sure they'd let us try any pickup of theirs in any position. The piezo's are a little more problematic. I'm having a hum problem still that I hope to deal wth in the next couple days, but I'm starting to think that I may have made the electronics more complicated than they needed to be, especially for a new startup. Given the level of acoustic response just running the humbuckers, I'm not as convinced as I once was that the piezo is necessary.

The layout of the controls can also be customized. The first few guitars were built with no control holes and we drilled them after the finish was complete.

A solid body is definitely available, as is a chambered body without an F hole. A left handed version is also available for no up charge.

Dots are available on the fingerboard (these have side dots only) as are more complicated inlays (From LGM or Thorn. I'm dying to do some wiork with Jeremy, so I hope someone wants one of his vines).

I was planning to offer different wood combinations, but I'm so pleased with the ash, that I may scrap that plan. The weight, the balance, and the sound are just where I want them withthe ash body and maple neck. One wood option that can be done to the users wishes is the fingerboard. These are pau ferro, which I like, but ebony, rosewood or maple are all available.

I'm still playing with the pricing, but the basic startup price is $2,000. It's probably going to go up a bit fairly soon, because my costs are ludicrousy high. I've tried not to cut any corners, but going first class has taken a toll financially. On the other hand, I'm willing to make a pretty decent deal on the guitars from the initial batch just to help finance some more. Other than mine, there are two 7's and a 6 pre-built that I'm willing to cut a deal on.

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to provide some answers.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:16 PM

I realy like the design, it looks realy cool, yet more elegant than pointy. How comfortable is it to play when resting it on your left thigh (like a classical guitar)?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:18 PM

what about the distorted sound?
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajectory fish
I realy like the design, it looks realy cool, yet more elegant than pointy. How comfortable is it to play when resting it on your left thigh (like a classical guitar)?
That's an interesting question. I generally play standing, but the whole idea of the Eagle style lower cutaway is to be comfortable on the RIGHT thigh, like most jazz players would hold it and that works out pretyt well. But after reading your question, I tried it on the left thigh , both with and without a 6 inch rest, in as close to classical position as I could get. It felt just great, ironically, much better than on the right thigh, so thanks for asking.

And Sam669, I'm sorry I can't answer your question about distorted sound. I don't use any distortion in my playing and the whoel concept is so foreign to me that I wouldn't really know where to begin. I'm planning on getter a couple of more contemorary and agressive player to give it a test run and I'll come back with some clips then.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 01:44 AM

I'll volunteer to be a test pilot!

No, seriously.

Tags
air norton , body shape , clean tone , darren wilson , dean evo , dimarzio paf , lower strings , maple neck , neck humbucker , neck pickup , scale lengths

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode