Some ideas on Customizing Rg560 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Some ideas on Customizing Rg560

Hello people, im actually really new to this forum and im actually going to buy a pretty good in shape RG560 from a guy here in my city. I would really like to know what customizations i could do in it. It has the original V2, S1, S1 Pickups, they are actually a bit rusty. i would like to know if i can get this baby up in shape. The worst thing i think its the Edge tremolo which is kind of in a rusty bad shape. Maybe i could restore it?. Neck is straight and nothing else seems bad. ill put 2 or 3 pics of it ..

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Re: Some ideas on Customizing Rg560

Nice 560!!! I like the colour so I'd leave that as it is. The main thing you could do I suppose to jazz it up a bit would be to fire in a new set of coloured or zebra pups and also change the knobs and switch tip to match. If you can't afford the pickup change you could try changing the look of the pickups with bobbin toppers.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

How about the Edge trem? think it seems in good shape?. Yes! are the original PUPS that bad? i mean, i heard at least the V2 is a good dimarzio PUP. but i was thinking on changing the neck pup to a Air norton or something, for a good metal sound.

I am actually playing in a metal band and i wanna leave this guitar as metal as possible.

Ideas for the Bridge PUP?, i also got a pair of HS-3 Pups in another guitar that i might use. But i would like more a Humbucker in a Single Sound rather than a Single hum cancelling sound. Like with more output. Like medium output, Hs-3s are low output arent them?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:49 PM

There is a lot of pitting in the trem but that's not to say it shouldn't function well and it's the best of all Ibby trems. Stock pickups are good so no worries there but I thought you wanted to maybe spice things up a bit cosmetically????

It all boils down to what sound you are looking for and what sounds good to your ear. I've a heavily customised RG560 here that has an EMG81/SA/SA set in it and that works good for metal but a lot of people don't like EMG/Active pickups.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

That was a good advice, well i actually dont like active pickups sounds. Maybe i would specifically use that kind of pickups in Studio and to record rythm guitars cause that feels like more powerful than with standardt Passive for me. But even so, i prefer sound on Passive Pickups, And more medium output pickups cause i like to feel the Tone in my fingers rather than just good playability. I dont want to lose the tonal character when playing.

What good Dimarzios are suitable for Neck Pickup?, i will mostly use that for single note leads, and bridge for rythms.

Ive heard good things about seymour duncans but i still didnt have the chance to test any.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Air Norton single is worth a look/listen:

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/stra...t/air-norton-s
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thats the one pickup GH uses in the Neck position of his Laguna?

I liked the sound of it. Im definitelly wanting to get one of those. How about Fast Track 2 or Pro Track? i saw that they have more of a single coil sound?

Maybe would work with a Hs-3 in the middle?

I might get a custom pickguard for it, but i still dont have any good ideas to get a good look on it., i like the Lipstick red colour, ive always had Black guitars, and this one will be the first one thats different lol.

Well, anyways. suggestions on getting a good colours on the pickups to make it look ... original?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Well as opposed to the HS3 which are stacked you could try the Bareknuckle Trilogy Suite, that's a great pickup.

A pickguard would look cool if you go for the right colour. Only black pickups will look original in a 560 (if by original you mean stock???).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Well not exactly hehe, i mean, something different, original meaning different to the rest, i would like to escape the traditional black, and try something different, like for example what Paul Gilbert did in his Blue/pink PGM model.

The prob with bareknuckle is that i think they dont sell here in Brazil. But traditional brads are available, like Dimarzio, Seymour, sometimes Rio Grande ( harder to find ), or even Suhr, and of course the traditional Gibsons, but thats even harder to find. I think ill stick to Dimarzio or Seymour to start looking for different sounds and then try others, ive heard the Doug Aldrich model for Humbuckers (Suhr) are extremely good. Can you confirm this?

Maybe some red covers for the guitar would look cool too, im wanting to get some non pole ( more like rails style ) pickups for the neck position at least. Can be a traditional HB for the Bridge, and will think what i do with Middle pos.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:17 AM

Good pups for the neck position by Dimarzio for me was Cruiser and also I've tried Fast Track 1 (FS1) and I liked it very much (it is also excellent in the bridge position of my strat).
I had HS3 in the neck for a while and it wasn't bad at all but all depends what are trying to achieve with your sound.
Active EMG pups are also great (at the moment in my RG560 I have EMG 81, S, S), but I understand that you don't like it. I suggest you try it.
Many choices and only you will know what sound good to your ears.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

There are so many old RGs out there with coloured pickups, it might be more original to try and keep a fairly stock look!

I'd definitely go for black pickups.

The Suhr Aldrich pickups are great in the Suhr's I've tried them in. I've not tried them in an Ibanez.

If you still want to be a bit different, go for Seymour Duncan pickups because most folks (here at least) seem to go for DiMarzios.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Why do you need to be different? Put whatever pickups sound best in whatever colors that appeal to you. I think there have been so many different color combos since the RGs came out--nothing will be truly different. Just get what you like.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

You are all right, heheh i think ill just go for whatever thing i like, i was wondering, i found a guy here that sells decals for the fretboard inlays.

I just was wondering if this ones go away with time or they are permanent unless you get some kind of special fluid to get it out.

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...lhor-preco-_JM

Heres the link, maybe you can check the video out so you can tell me if this one works, that definitelly would be a good way to customize this one.

By the way its the same one as www.inlaymarkers.com I thought they look cool, dont know how much they last but i guess long enough till you have to change them and you can get them in different colors.

Anybody knows if there is actually a way to add binding to a neck someway??? or is it too hard/expensive to do same as body Binding?

Last edited by yngvay23; 08-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Tags
rg560 guitar ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode