Some pics of my modded ESP M-II and Strat - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Some pics of my modded ESP M-II and Strat

If you know me, you know that I can't leave things well enough alone, so I tend to mod them to be more to my liking, and to be a little more unique to me. Here are some pics of my fairly new 07 M-II and also some of my 08 American Fender Strat.

The M-II originally came with two EMG 81 pickups with a 3-way toggle switch and one volume control. I personally can't stand the 81's, especially in the neck position, so I switched them out with an EMG 85 in the bridge (running on 18v) and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck. Each has their own volume control (25k for the EMG and 500k for the '59) and switching is done using a mini two-way toggle switch that I added. I used the stock toggle switch hole for the 2nd volume pot, and drilled a 3/16th hole for the mini switch. Just for the hell of it, I used some old style plastic knobs just to make it a little more "me".

The ESP is tuned to drop C using 10-52 strings. The bridge is blocked, not because I can't set it up properly, but because I like to tune the low C up to a D at times. I leave off the truss rod cover and rear trem cover on all of my guitars, and this one is no exception .

The Fender is pretty much stock except for the pickups; they were switched out in favor of a Samarium Cobalt Noiseless set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Some pics of my modded ESP M-II and Strat

Very cool! I don't really like active humbuckers in the neck neither, for cleans at least. How high do you set each volume knob to get a balanced volume output? Does it click/thump/etc when you switch between the EMG and passive Duncan?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygian View Post
Very cool! I don't really like active humbuckers in the neck neither, for cleans at least. How high do you set each volume knob to get a balanced volume output? Does it click/thump/etc when you switch between the EMG and passive Duncan?
I don't have to blend them to make them balanced, they sound perfectly balanced to my ears. According to SD, the '59 is a good match for a hotter p/u in the bridge, such as a Dimebucker, so the '59 is naturally a good match for my EMG. Also, there is no noise when switching between the two.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:23 PM

awesome choice on the strat, have you thought of putting a tortoiseshell pickguard on it?
i originally wanted a white/maple strat, but wound up buying a red/maple one just cos it was an '07 model and therefore very heavily discounted!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_h View Post
awesome choice on the strat, have you thought of putting a tortoiseshell pickguard on it?
i originally wanted a white/maple strat, but wound up buying a red/maple one just cos it was an '07 model and therefore very heavily discounted!
I think I'll keep the white one on for now.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 PM

That strat is SWEET! Can you tell me what you think of it? I'm actually strongly considering the new american strat, because I love strats, so I'm really considering the new american strat.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
That strat is SWEET! Can you tell me what you think of it? I'm actually strongly considering the new american strat, because I love strats, so I'm really considering the new american strat.
I love it! You cannot go wrong with a newer American Fender. The quality is amazing on it. The ESP's quality is amazing too.

Quick story: I was at Guitar Center today (to purchase the '59 p/u) and was looking around in the high end amp room. I noticed a brand new JEM7VWH sitting there so I went over and picked it up. The FIRST thing I noticed was the neck pocket. It was terrible! It looked like a middle school shop student routed it. Not only was there a business card sized gap on BOTH sides, the route wasn't even straight- it kinda went up at an angle...weird. I suppose the rest of the guitar was okay, but damn Ibanez...why does my $999 Strat and $1400 ESP have neck pockets tighter than a gnat's ass, yet your top of the line $2200 guitar looks like it was J-Crafted in Korea?

..end of rant
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Reviews: 4

...Nice mods, I would use the trem not matter what though...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM

does the MII have a seperate battery compartment or is it under the control cavity ?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 AM

How do you like those SCN noiseless pups in the strat?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
does the MII have a seperate battery compartment or is it under the control cavity ?
No, the batteries are just wrapped in foam and sitting snug in the control cavity.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
How do you like those SCN noiseless pups in the strat?
They sound great! The stock ones were okay, but I just couldn't stand the single coil hum. These are totally quiet, and are a little hotter than the stock pickups.

Tags
fender strat , neck pockets , neck position , seymour duncan , toggle switch , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode