Some pics of my new J-Customs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Some pics of my new J-Customs

Here are some pics of my new J-Customs. The 7 string is an RG8327 BBK and the six string is an RRG6 LY. So... both guitars came from this guy in Japan on ****, meestrsparkle. Great guy to deal with. Both guitars needed a setup when I got them - the action was so high both were unplayable, but all I had to do was lower the bridge on both guitars and everything was fine. Necks did not need adjustment at all - very straight. I could get the action extremely low on both guitars. Now that they are setup right, they are great playing guitars. The fretwork on both guitars is pretty amazing. I love the rounded fret edges - very easy to get very low action without buzzing frets or dropouts... From my experience, the fit and finish on these J-Customs is every bit as good as the top of the line American guitars like my Suhrs - I even find them a bit easier to play because all the Suhrs I've played have this tension issue on the first two strings that make bends hard...

On the 7, I made up a hybrid string set, so I've got heavy strings for the B, E, A and the rest are from a standard .009 set. IMO this gives me very heavy rhythm tones, but still playable for leads. The EMG 707s sound great. For 7 string guitars, I love the EMGs even though I prefer passive pickups in six strings. The 7 is pretty heavy - must be over 8 lbs... and has this really nice binding on the neck, which you can see in the pictures. The only thing I don't like about the 7 is the way the bar attaches to the Floyd. It is too low to the body for me to use the bar the way I like and I like a really loose bar that swings around - that I can just grab, use and then let go and it falls away. You can't set this bar like that. What I'd like to do is just replace the bar attachment with one like the Edge Zero on my 6 string. It would make the bar further away from the body and allow it to be loose and swinging... I'll figure that out.

For those who missed it when I posted it here originally, here is a bit of brutality with the 7 String and my Axe-FX:

7 String CLEEPAGE

The 6 string is amazingly easy to play because of the low action. Reminds me of my Suhr, except the strings are not as tight - very easy to bend, just like I like a guitar. The pictures do not do that Abalone tree inlay justice - it is really, really nice. I love how these Ibanez guitar have such deep cutaways that make it really easy to reach the upper frets. I haven't recorded the guitar yet, but I've played it through the Axe a bit and the tone is really smooth and mid heavy - sounds cool, but not sure about the pickups yet. I'll record something and see what my next move is. Here are some details on the Lemon Yellow 6 string:

Body...Lite ASH
Neck...5pc Maple/Walnut
Selected Rosewood fingerboard/430mmR
Bridge...Edge Zero
Neck P.U... DiMarzio/Air Norton
Mid P.U...DiMarzio /Blue Velvet
Rear P.U...DiMarzio /Tone Zone
Hardware...Cosmo Black
Finish...LY(LemonYellow)

On to the pics. First a couple of both:

RG8327 BBK:

RRG6 LY

Steve

Last edited by sah5150; 03-08-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Re: Some pics of my new J-Customs

Sweet axes!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 PM

The bar will become looser over time. Nice JC's btw I got mine from the same guy. No major issues and quick shipping. It's the most you can ask for when buying a guitar without seeing it in person first.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! They are killer guitars for sure...

Steve
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Outstanding choice of axes! Nicely done! Love that Lemon Drop yellow!

I have 3 J-Customs from James as well. Great guy to deal with and superb shipping! I have a couple of 8470Z's and a Honey Gold RRG4. Each one of them plays absolutely amazing! The RRG4 just came yesterday and I have to say, the detail and craftsmanship on this beast is second to none!

They are built and play much better than several higher end U.S. axes that I sold recently.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Reviews: 1

No maple binding on neck?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 4

Loved the yellow!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
No maple binding on neck?
Wouldn't really make sense on either guitar would it?

Steve
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
Outstanding choice of axes! Nicely done! Love that Lemon Drop yellow!

I have 3 J-Customs from James as well. Great guy to deal with and superb shipping! I have a couple of 8470Z's and a Honey Gold RRG4. Each one of them plays absolutely amazing! The RRG4 just came yesterday and I have to say, the detail and craftsmanship on this beast is second to none!

They are built and play much better than several higher end U.S. axes that I sold recently.
Man - I just love the Honey Gold RRG4 - such an incredible guitar! Nice snag - you'll have to put up some pics when you get a chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Guitar View Post
Loved the yellow!
Me too!

Steve
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 PM

The neck and vine on the yellow one look very nice. And that black one looks pretty mean!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 AM

RRG6 LY = Epic win.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 PM

Very Nice!
loving the 7!
I just bought an RG8527 DBK from James this week (waiting on it's arrival)
I'm hoping it wows me, as it was a spontaneous decision to buy it (I wasn't really looking
for another 7 but these come up so rarely in DBK that I figured I'd chance it).
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 AM

Reviews: 25

IS NICE I LIKE !!!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 AM

I love the yellow one. Amazing!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Wow!! Just Wow!! Pure quality dude. Works of art IMO. Damn those are fine! Can I be jealous? A little maybe? LOL!! Brilliant score mate on both counts!!

Tags
j-custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode