some RGA questions. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

some RGA questions.

since i've been playing RG's with trems, i've always wanted a full hardtail RG. mostly for the sake of not having to touch the bridge every day and for the "solidity" of a hardtail (to me, guitars with floating trems somehow make the guitar feel lighter or not as robust or something) and for the added sustain and tone.

what i wanna know is, how come hardtail guitars like the RGA for exmaple (or hardtails in general) don't have locking nuts? i mean, if the bridge is incapable of moving, why not just lock the nut for super extra tuning stability? i understand there's the issue of changing tunings and you would have to obviously unlock it, but surely that wouldn't be too much of an issue?

i love the prestige RG necks and the RGA's have the same neck from what i can see. RGA's have an arched top too.

any opinions on how they play and compare to say an RG550 or something? how does the bridge feel compared to an edge or a standard strat-style bridge? there's a hardtail prestige RG, but it's only sold in japan...

Last edited by Homebake; 05-09-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 AM

Re: some RGA questions.

The RGA are a great guitar.
I have had two of those as main guitars on a tour and it worked fantastic and sounded great.

The shape of the body, the arched top and lack of arm-cut makes it feel a bit different then a trem equipped RG, a bit different hand position.
But it is noting you don’t get use to in 20 minutes or so.

They don’t have a locking nut because you don’t really need one, and also (and probably even more) would have hell on earth every time you want to do small adjustments with the tuning.
The guitar would need adjustments to the tuning even if it was locked down and it would be kind of annoying having to open the nut every time.

I have not noticed any “better” tone, just different tone then a trem guitar.

/Magnus
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
what i wanna know is, how come hardtail guitars like the RGA for exmaple (or hardtails in general) don't have locking nuts?
It's called the Edge-Fx

Looks like Ibanez saw this one coming.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
It's called the Edge-Fx

Looks like Ibanez saw this one coming.
Bu the Edge FX is only available on the Mick Thompson guitar.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:40 AM

Reviews: 1

They don't sell them seperate like they do with their other bridges?

Dang... that sucks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
what i wanna know is, how come hardtail guitars like the RGA for exmaple (or hardtails in general) don't have locking nuts? ...
because it would be an utterly inconvenient design? you can have locking tuners instead
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowYaw View Post
because it would be an utterly inconvenient design? you can have locking tuners instead
yeah...i realised after i posted that you need to actually fine tune after you lock the nut...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
i love the prestige RG necks and the RGA's have the same neck from what i can see. RGA's have an arched top too.

The 'A' in RGA actually means arched!

Tags
hard tail , prestige , rga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode