Something cool for us Fender freaks at NAMM - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 06:45 PM

Re: Something cool for us Fender freaks at NAMM

i inquired today because i want to order one, for those of you interested they run at $17something and change.

Nice..

yeahh and i know...overpriced...not worth it...blah....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 PM

Thumbs up Re: Something cool for us Fender freaks at NAMM

There's no 13 pin jack, just the normal 1/4" output jack. You can plug it straight into a regular amp. It doesn't have all the features of a VG-99, but the subset it has offers more than most guitars, by far, and the simplicity of not having to mount a pickup on your guitar, then run it into a floor unit, etc. You don't need a 7-string for drop tuning, because this thing will do drop D, B tuning, etc., at the flip of a switch. It'll also do Strat, Tele, acoustic, resonator, 12-string, humbucker. It's listed at Sweetwater, Musicians Buy, etc., for $1699 (MB includes some freebies along with it). Here's a nice video demo for you to check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EslpbFeLF8s
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Interesting, yet a novelty.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik View Post
There's no 13 pin jack, just the normal 1/4" output jack. You can plug it straight into a regular amp. It doesn't have all the features of a VG-99, but the subset it has offers more than most guitars, by far, and the simplicity of not having to mount a pickup on your guitar, then run it into a floor unit, etc. You don't need a 7-string for drop tuning, because this thing will do drop D, B tuning, etc., at the flip of a switch. It'll also do Strat, Tele, acoustic, resonator, 12-string, humbucker. It's listed at Sweetwater, Musicians Buy, etc., for $1699 (MB includes some freebies along with it). Here's a nice video demo for you to check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EslpbFeLF8s
Well, it still kind of sucks that the system is powered by a Roland GK pickup but there's no way of using it for outboard gear for full MIDI potential. While it's nice that the guitar can stand alone like the Variax, it's kind of a waste, too, because granted there's a mini-VG system mounted in the guitar, I'm sure there could have been a cool way for the guitar to work directly with the new VG-99 for extended and enhanced usage, kind of like how the Variax and PodXT work together. A Roland-ready strat and a VG-88 is still cheaper.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 PM

I like how they put DADGAD in the alternate tuning knob. I love messing around in that tuning all the time.

But How do the alternate tunings work?

Last edited by god9; 01-31-2007 at 10:34 PM.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by god9 View Post
I like how they put DADGAD in the alternate tuning knob. I love messing around in that tuning all the time.

But How do the alternate tunings work?
It works in that the special pickup used is the Roland pickup used for their full VG System and their guitar synths. Each polepiece is like a separate pickup that tracks the pitch and attack of each individual string, so the VG system on board in DADGAD tuning will just process, "lower strings 6, 2, and 1 by one full step" on top of the other processing. It's like a guitar synth that reproduces guitar tones.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Ahhh, thats pretty cool!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
smc

After seeing that video...I want one!
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM

its pretty cool, but its not impressive enough for me to go out and buy. i'd stull take a vintage MIJ strat over this thing.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:31 PM

I think this is pretty awesome! granted, I don't have any money, and if I did have that much money I don't think I'd spend that much on it.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM

Nifty idea, but I don't think I could justify getting one. Gotta love the innovative effort though
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Interesting, yet a novelty.
Any more of a novelty than a Variax?

Must admit I like Strats because they sound like..... Strats, so, not for me, but hats off to Fender for pushing their envelope out a bit further.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 PM

I like the idea, but if these kind of guitars get somewhere market-wise I expect to hear a lot of the same kind of attitudes when people say...

Solid state amps, carbon fiber guitars, etc are inferior, weak, etc. Which is a very conservative attitude in general...

I don't know if they're for me but I dig the idea.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , lower strings , mij strat , solid state amp , solid state amps , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode