Sorry in advance. 24 fret neck into 22 fret guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Sorry in advance. 24 fret neck into 22 fret guitar

I know its been done, I dont remember the details.

I have an s540 body, an rg570 neck. I want to mate the two. Possible? AANJ neck, square body.

I know I know, I am searching, just hoping for a right now answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Re: Sorry in advance. 24 fret neck into 22 fret guitar

I don't think it's possible. In fact, I believe they had to re-engineer the whole thing when they finally came out with a pure 24 fret S model.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I don't think it's possible. In fact, I believe they had to re-engineer the whole thing when they finally came out with a pure 24 fret S model.

eh, I've seen it on here before, just having a difficult time finding it. edit: rather, I know a 24 fret neck will work on a 22 fret guitar, its just the fitment issue
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It can be done, but you're going to have to relocate the bridge. The necks may have the same scale length, but not to the location of the bridge on a different body. Found this out when putting a 24 fret Kramer neck on an old Kramer Pacer body.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
It can be done, but you're going to have to relocate the bridge. The necks may have the same scale length, but not to the location of the bridge on a different body. Found this out when putting a 24 fret Kramer neck on an old Kramer Pacer body.

so 22 frets on a 24 fret is ok, but 24 on a 22 body isnt? seems kinda backwards logic to me lol.

I think if anything you;'d have to route the body more to allow 24 frets in (thinking about the js2400 and why satch didnt want a 24 fret model for so long).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 PM

Fo it to work, the 22nd fret need to be in the exact same spot as it is with the normal neck.

With an AANJ 24 fret neck onto a 22 fret body, the 24th fret needs to be where the neck pickup is, making it a giant mess.

A 22fret AANJ neck onto a 24 fret body would need a gap between the neck pocket and the neck. this would make it impossible to bolt the neck on.

The deal here is that scale length is a function of the bridge to the nut, with the 12fret as a mid point. If you move the nut out to add 2 more frets, the guitar won't intonate.

In other words, the only way your getting a 24 fret neck onto an older 22 fret S body is to completely chop it up, or buy a Warmoth neck with the fretboard extension and remove the neck pickup from the body completely. Like this: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/images...oardInterf.jpg
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM

Reviews: 120

Non-AANJ necks will work with the non-AANJ saber bodies. You'll need to relocate the neck pickup though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 AM

Reviews: 2

Dude... you have the skills to just move the bridge back....It'll only be about 1/4"-3/8". Should be no problem for 'ya.... just make sure the scale is in the intonation range. when your done paint it in that kick-ass copper swirl you do.....

Ryc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Dude... you have the skills to just move the bridge back....It'll only be about 1/4"-3/8". Should be no problem for 'ya.... just make sure the scale is in the intonation range. when your done paint it in that kick-ass copper swirl you do.....

Ryc
its an S! theres not enough room to do that haha.

Toshiro -> thats what I was thinking. thanks!

thanks guys Im not worried about it, wizard 1 neck in great condition is waiting to go on Should be all good.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
so 22 frets on a 24 fret is ok, but 24 on a 22 body isnt? seems kinda backwards logic to me lol.

I think if anything you;'d have to route the body more to allow 24 frets in (thinking about the js2400 and why satch didnt want a 24 fret model for so long).
Also--old square heel Ibanez necks have the extra 2 frets on that overhang, but AANJs don't.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Non-AANJ necks will work with the non-AANJ saber bodies. You'll need to relocate the neck pickup though.
And either cut a channel into the body, or sand down the underside of the extension, it's a bit thick to clear the top of the body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode