Specifying a custom neck for my S2170FW - Help please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Specifying a custom neck for my S2170FW - Help please

Ok, so I found a local luthier who does custom orders. His name is Ged Green, and his website shows some pretty quality stuff. He's a true custom shop as far as I can tell, since his site shows him using all kinds of esoteric hardware, including steinberger straight pull tuners, Kahler trems, elec. 12 string bridges, etc etc.

I rang the dude up, and he offers a few features I've been looking at, and for a pretty good price, all considered.

Here what I want to specify from him, as specific as I can make it:

AANJ neck for 22 fret S series guitar, with ESP Alexi neck profile, Graphite reinforcement, stainless steel jumbo frets. Shallow scallops from frets 15 and upwards. I am considering asking him to use a slightly thinner stainless wire on the top of the fretboard, but I will have to ask him if he thinks that will improve intonation at all. If its even a small improvement, I'm doing it.

Neck will be 3 piece maple, and I haven't decided on the fretboard wood yet, since I very much like the rosewood board my S already has, but have always wanted an ebny boarded guitar.

The problem I have is in specifying the neck shape to him. The ESP alexi series neck is easily the most comfortable I have played, and I have the measurements on thickness for him from a spreadsheet. But how do I define a SHAPE for the neck? The only thing I know about it is that its slightly rounder than standard ibanez necks, which have the flat on the back.

I can possibly get access to an alexi for a little while at another guitar shop, but if I do that, should I take pictures? From what angles? is there an easy way to get a measurement of the cambers in the neck that the guitar shop employees won't mind?

Secondly, i know theres variance in the neck pockets for S series guitars, should I get him to take measurements of my neck pocket, or should I just leave the guitar with him, since I'll be asking him to set the thing up when he's done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Specifying a custom neck for my S2170FW - Help please

24 views and nobody has any ideas? come on!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:31 PM

If its rounder then an Ibanez neck which has a "D" shape neck then its more then likely a thin C. Does it feel thick on the bass side of the neck and slim on the treble side of the neck? If so then its asymmetrical. But if I was a betting man I would say its a really thin C shape neck. And no luthier will be able to get it exact unless he has a duplicarver to profile necks.

However if you want to get really really close to that profile, buy one of these:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rings_id=10668

Do the 1st fret, 5th fret, 9th fret, 12th fret, and 17th fret and you will have the exact profile of the Alexi neck. Once you have the profile take the gauge over to a piece of paper and trace the profile, your luthier should be able to get it almost dead nuts on with those measurements.

Let us know how it works for you man!
Chris
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, I already have the thickness specs for nut, 5th, and 12th frets.

It feels slightly thinner on the treble side from what I remember, but I wouldn't trust my memory to that extent.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 PM

I meant if you bought that tool, use it on the areas of the neck I specified so you can get the profile marked down. I wasn't talking about neck thickness, just the profile.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

yeah thats cool man, my post was a little confusing on that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Leave your guitar with him if you can stand to be without it for a while, it'll save the luthie from havnig to rely on "paper" measurements, he'll be able to fit the neck himself and make any necessary adjusments.

As far as getting the profile right, is there any way you can get the luthier to get his hands on the ESP in question? If not, the profile guage that Factory5150 linked to seems like a good bet.

It might be that the luthier can get a feel for what you're after just from playing the guitar you're trying to copy even if he can't duplicate the profile exactly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 34

It's a shame you can't get hold of an Alexis to let him work from!!

You could always contact ESP and ask them, or maybe there is an ESP forum?

The guys site looks good. I would be interested to know what he is charging.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

He told me that a pretty standard neck usually runs 250, so he's a little bit more expensive than ET, but less expensive than Jaden, and he seems to offer a lot more. I'm asking him to do a lot more than a standard neck, so we'll see.

As far as the esp forum, they've already got the specs for most of it. Its just the actual contours I need to measure, so I'm going to grab one of those guage thingies and make a trip to the local ltd dealer.

Tags
alexi , custom neck , frets , s series prestige , stainless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode