Spending Spree - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nr. Liverpool, UK
Posts: 868
Spending Spree

Right Im looking for some inspiration. Ive recently run into about 1000 to spend on a guitar (around $1800 USD) and I was wondering, if any of you guys had this kinda cash at the moment, what would you buy?

-better shred than dead-ANDY

Oh yeah, forgot to add - any make any model! (including ibanez) I just put it in this section of the forum cus I couldnt think of where else to put it.
Jammy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 201
i would have a look around for a used Peavey Wolfgang
carved top, non-routed trem goodness
AARRGGHHH is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:49 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: A Mile High (USA)
Posts: 2,990
Rick Turner Model 1. $1800 US would almost be enough to pick up a decent used one
vaijem777 is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:04 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by AARRGGHHH
i would have a look around for a used Peavey Wolfgang
carved top, non-routed trem goodness
There's one of those sitting in a local guitar shop here

I played around with it a bit and finally understand what people mean by overly-slim necks
Two hands31 is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:07 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, Essex, UK
Posts: 3,619
I would go and grab a used KH2 or possibly a nice Wolfie like said previously. Maybe you could also go for a 7VWH, i know a few people selling theres at the moment, usually around the 900 mark too!

Gary - The.Godfather
I wish I had 1000 to spend! lol
the.godfather is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:09 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
I wish I had 1000 to spend! lol
Agreed
Two hands31 is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
There's one of those sitting in a local guitar shop here

I played around with it a bit and finally understand what people mean by overly-slim necks
fair enough. i find they fit like a glove, hourses for courses i guess
AARRGGHHH is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 07:21 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 178
I would get a swirled body from Darren, and a neck+inlay from Jeremy. They both do outstanding work.
ATDVSBL is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,003
Reviews: 1
Whatever you fany I'd take advantage of the exchange rate to $ and buy from the States.

Personally, Chris has given me the bug to get out thereand try some other brand guitars again!!! I think I'd be looking for a deal on a used Anderson or Suhr type thing.

The internet is a wonderful place!
jono is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 12:46 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 1,895
Since you're kind of up in the air, I'd use the opportunity to get something that would hold its value. In other words, not the newest Ibanez signature model, but maybe an LNG or BFP, for example. Or, if you can find one in your price range, an original MM/EVH guitar. I'm not into them, but a '70's Les Paul would hold value too. The idea isn't that you buy a guitar as an investment, but if you have a decent amount of $ to spend, and you get something that holds its value, then later you can dump it for another guitar of the same value. So it's like getting two guitars for one! Like free rent for as long as you want on an EVH. If you keep trading for good values, then you can keep the chain going forever. But if you get the latest, greatest anything, you can kiss 1/3rd of it's value goodbye, you know? Maxxas guitars are much less than $1800US, but its never a bad time to get one of those, and they have either held steady or increased in value over the past decade.
If the latest model xx is really what you want, though, then by all means get it. I'm not saying its bad to buy new off the rack or anything. Especially when its exactly what you were wishing for all along. But I would say "match ambiguity with proper planning"
frankfalbo is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:11 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,989
I find it hilarious that no one (myself included) is trying to talk you into using your money for something other than a guitar
Two hands31 is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:18 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: A Mile High (USA)
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Whatever you fany I'd take advantage of the exchange rate to $ and buy from the States.

Personally, Chris has given me the bug to get out thereand try some other brand guitars again!!! I think I'd be looking for a deal on a used Anderson or Suhr type thing.
Oooh...a Suhr...super-sweet guitars! I ran across the strangest little store here in Colorado. About 45 minutes outside of Denver, there's a shop that carries Suhrs and they've got nearly 2 dozen of them! The most unlikely place, but apparently they do quite well with the line. Luckily, I didn't ask what their pricing was like. The last thing I need is to come home with another toy (Although I did order my AT300 this week!)

That said- if you're dying for the latest & greatest, try to sink the cash into an interest bearing savings account or something similar for 6 months or so. By that time the new models will start showing up used. Otherwise, I'd definitely take Jono's advice and buy from the US- it'll allow you to get a lot more bang for your buck. (In fact...I'm sure that the guy behind the swirly banner at the top of the page would be more than happy to help you out)
vaijem777 is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:40 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Santiago Chile
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
Since you're kind of up in the air, I'd use the opportunity to get something that would hold its value. In other words, not the newest Ibanez signature model, but maybe an LNG or BFP, for example. Or, if you can find one in your price range, an original MM/EVH guitar. I'm not into them, but a '70's Les Paul would hold value too. The idea isn't that you buy a guitar as an investment, but if you have a decent amount of $ to spend, and you get something that holds its value, then later you can dump it for another guitar of the same value. So it's like getting two guitars for one! Like free rent for as long as you want on an EVH. If you keep trading for good values, then you can keep the chain going forever. But if you get the latest, greatest anything, you can kiss 1/3rd of it's value goodbye, you know? Maxxas guitars are much less than $1800US, but its never a bad time to get one of those, and they have either held steady or increased in value over the past decade.
If the latest model xx is really what you want, though, then by all means get it. I'm not saying its bad to buy new off the rack or anything. Especially when its exactly what you were wishing for all along. But I would say "match ambiguity with proper planning"
I agree, something that holds the value. How about a VWH? Killer guitar! I'm sure Mr. Harris can hook you up.
caprile is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:51 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: A Mile High (USA)
Posts: 2,990
You agree that he should get a guitar that will hold it's value, yet you suggest a VWH? Sure...as long as you don't pay more than $1100-1200 tops, since that's about the average value of a used one. I think you completely missed Frank's point.

Frank had some good suggestions- EB/MM EVHs, 70's Les Pauls (how about a nice Silverburst?), or one of the more collectible JEMs. A mass-produced model that Ibanez has been churning out untold thousands of for the past 11 years is hardly a good "investment" guitar. A great guitar is you're looking for a gorgeous "player", but...sadly, just not one that'll do much in terms of monetary value (aside from dropping, that is.)
vaijem777 is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,619
I was just about to post the same thing, VWH drops 20% as soon as you open the case I'd say buy a mint Jem10, there's an apreciable guitar [you just don't have enough money]
Rich is online  
Reply

Tags
guitar shop , killer guitar , les paul , les pauls , local guitar shop , peavey wolfgang , swirled body

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spending A LOT on a vehicle. Darin Off-topic / Miscellaneous 93 02-24-2008 12:32 PM
I went on a buying spree, prestige content guitarslinger213 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 27 07-19-2006 03:31 AM
Tony Macalpine CD shopping spree! red5 Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 9 02-04-2006 10:05 PM
Spending the money the right way ... chlamy Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 10 12-06-2002 09:37 AM
Help with spending money! slimchandi Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 8 06-25-2001 09:01 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome