Splittable V8 humbucker on 2000 RG520QS? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Splittable V8 humbucker on 2000 RG520QS?

I was just at home a bit ago on my lunchbreak and was noodling around on my newly acquired RG520QS (2000 model) and the volume knob looked like it was sitting a tad low (close to paint) so I pulled gently on it to see if it was loose and it clicked into a higher position. I clicked it back & forth and it would appear that this guitar might have a splittable humbucker (I have the factory V8 in the bridge). Was this an option on this model/year of guitar? I didn't plug it in to check to make sure that's what it was, will do so when I get home.

But I suppose my main question is whether or not this was a factory option, or if someone modded it later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:33 PM

Re: Splittable V8 humbucker on 2000 RG520QS?

the standard factory set up for this guitar is H-H with 5 way switch, with std pots.
if you have the push-pull pot, it's definitely after market mod.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, psycho. Kind of figured that was the case, didn't see anything on the 2000 Ibanez brochure about it and didn't see anyone else mention it online.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 AM

the 520QS was my first REAL ibanez, love it to the bone, but finally sold it for some reason.

the variation of 5 way switch with the HH config is very usefull, I don't know why someone need to add push pull pot on this ?
unless you have 3 way, then you need the push pull.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

I didn't have time to test it until a few minutes ago. It is the HH config with 5-way switch. I started out with the switch in #1 (bridge) position. Pulling the knob up and down didn't change the sound at all. With the switch in #2 position it works with the knob down, but when you pull the knob up it cuts the sound out. Switch position #3 and #5 are same as #1 (works with the knob down and up, but doesn't change sound at all). And #4 is same as #2, works with switch down but up cuts it out.

Now I'm thinking that someone needed a new volume pot and just used a push/pull that was lying around lol. "How anticlimactic" as my 8-year old daughter loves to say.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 AM

Possibly had another set of pickups in the guitar before selling it and did a quicky re-install? Or, push-pull kill switch! Very climactic!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, hadn't considered that possibility, might have had another set of buckers in there. Doubt it was a push pull kill, because it only kills the signal if the switch is in #2 or #4 position. But who knows what someone did.

Will eventually repaint this beast down the road (the quilted top has gone opaque and needs a lighter coat of trans paint). Maybe when I get around to pulling the whole thing apart I'll figure out what they were messing with in there lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Yeah, hadn't considered that possibility, might have had another set of buckers in there. Doubt it was a push pull kill, because it only kills the signal if the switch is in #2 or #4 position. But who knows what someone did.

Will eventually repaint this beast down the road (the quilted top has gone opaque and needs a lighter coat of trans paint). Maybe when I get around to pulling the whole thing apart I'll figure out what they were messing with in there lol.
Mine is very dark too... it's a '98 model. I kind of like it, such a deep dark green that it looks black unless you get good lighting on it. Fantastic guitar!

Had been thinking about selling it, even offered it to a fella that had expressed interest in it, but he ended up buying a different guitar from me. Been playing it a lot lately and I think I'll keep it!

Tags
rg520 , rg520qs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode