spray painting over existing finish? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

spray painting over existing finish?

so, i got this pretty well beat-up ibanez RG470 from ****..
i guess i'm slowly becoming people in this forum... getting more and more ibanezes...
anyways, the sound and neck is near perfect thanks to V7 & V8 & S1 pickups... but the body finishes on side and back are worn out like crazy...
so i want to part everything, and just repaint the body into a glossy black..
i was thinking about getting some spray paint from homedepot, and just spray over the body, then spray a sealer..
before i do that, should i take off existing finishes with sandpaper? or just spray over existing finish to save time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Re: spray painting over existing finish?

I'd definitely sand everything off first... It's tough and it will take a while but it will turn out MUCH better. Look up some tutorials online on how to properly paint a guitar.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 2

The finish has to be essentially flawless to just do a scuff sand and even then I wouldn't recommend it.

Sand the old finish off and start from stratch.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
A_J

Yeah from what you describe it sounds like you should get the old finish off - everything will need to be perfectly level and smooth before you paint, otherwise it'll show through.

If you go down to wood, I'd also recommend a black primer coat, then flat black paint, then a clear glosscoat.. Flat black is so much easier to work with than gloss, and dries much faster. Then topcoat with clear when you've got it right. And my biggest tip, shake the rattle cans really well and make sure they're not too cold.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 39

I rattlecanned my "SOULMACHINE" twice; once with chameleon color changing paint designed for automotive use, and again with 4 different colors of blue for a riteous blue burst (again, all designed for automotive use) + 3 coats of clear. Definitely sand and use primer. It wont look as amazing as a factory finish, it will look like a spray finish, but you can make it look dang cool nonetheless. Also make sure to clearcoar it.

The SOULMACHINE and her rattlecan finish (and 1969 vintage strap - relating to the new topic thats arisen in the Gear section!)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 AM

If you want it to look good, wet sanding is a must. And thats not a 30 min job, I have hours in wet sanding the ones Ive done. Then rubbing compound and wax, a buffer makes it soooo much easier as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM

You can try a heat gun to remove the old finish or simply sand it all off.

At the VERY LEAST you have to sand the cracked paint parts to eliminate the "cracked" appearance at the edges, put some primer on it, sand it back to smooth the edges and then paint over.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Wow... thanks guys.. I was about to make a biggest mistake if I didn't ask first...

Tags
painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode