Staining RG7620 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Staining RG7620

Is it possible to stain basswood? I'm going after a mahogany type stain, Like this one:

How would I stain like this? Most basswood guitars I have seen that have been stained turn out like the RB, and thats not really what I'm going after. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 PM

Re: Staining RG7620

short of adding a veneer, it'll never look like mahogany because basswood has a very different grain from mahogany.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
short of adding a veneer, it'll never look like mahogany because basswood has a very different grain from mahogany.
You can't even get it looking remotely close? And you can't apply a mahogany veneer over ethe entire body, can you?

Maybe I'll just buy a 7-string body from EKG.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 PM

you could get it the same colour, but a big part of the mahogany look is the busy grain pattern that basswood will never have.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:45 AM

I agree, here - my money says that's a replacement mahogany body on a 7620. You can probably buy a stain that'd get the color right, but not the grain.

Sure, you could do a veneer... but for nearly the price a replacement body would cost you, and unless you drastically prefer the look of mahogany butthe tone of basswood granted, i do), it's probably better to replace the whole body.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43
Is it possible to stain basswood? I'm going after a mahogany type stain, Like this one:

How would I stain like this? Most basswood guitars I have seen that have been stained turn out like the RB, and thats not really what I'm going after. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew
That's one beautiful guitar! I have a mahogony 7621, but the grain pattern isn't as nice as this one
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
+1

Basswood is a bad choice for a natural finish. No matter what you do to it (except for veneer of course), you won't get the look you want.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
+1

Basswood is a bad choice for a natural finish. No matter what you do to it (except for veneer of course), you won't get the look you want.

This was posted on Dave Weiners forum, i hope the guy doesn't mind me posting it here

I think that the natural stripped basswood RG7 there looks great. I'm going to do it to my guitar
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

So where can I buy a replacement body? I want it to have the angled jack also.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 01:13 PM

My stained UV looks great...good grain and nice dark, rich color. Just as dark, if not darker than my Tung Oiled Carvin...

http://www.sevenstring.org/photoplog/file.php?n=39&w=l
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
This was posted on Dave Weiners forum, i hope the guy doesn't mind me posting it here

I think that the natural stripped basswood RG7 there looks great. I'm going to do it to my guitar

Ahh, Pete Starks, owner of The Best Dang Vibrato I've Ever Heard.

Also, the Best Dang Refinish of a 7420MC I've Ever Seen.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringofablick
My stained UV looks great...good grain and nice dark, rich color. Just as dark, if not darker than my Tung Oiled Carvin...

http://www.sevenstring.org/photoplog/file.php?n=39&w=l
Hey! That is similar to what I'm going after. What kind of stain did you use? How did you stain it?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43
Hey! That is similar to what I'm going after. What kind of stain did you use? How did you stain it?
Actually, i bought it from Eric @ Ericsguitars.com. I asked him what he did, so i'll let you know when he responds.

here's more indepth pics of the guitar (from his webpage when it was for sale). It looks the same now, only dif is i use 10's, not 9's...but you really can't see that in the pic lol

http://www.ericsguitars.com/91uv7bkrefin/

Also, the neck has a special treatment that eric does. It's amazing...it's a sanded finish with a light tung oil...feels smoother than a baby's ass...i recommend that anyone get one of their necks like this...it's relatively cheap too! (www.ericsguitars.com)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 PM

He said he doesn't remember the stain but it has a buffed wax finish, all hand sanded and then finished.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringofablick
Actually, i bought it from Eric @ Ericsguitars.com. I asked him what he did, so i'll let you know when he responds.

here's more indepth pics of the guitar (from his webpage when it was for sale). It looks the same now, only dif is i use 10's, not 9's...but you really can't see that in the pic lol

http://www.ericsguitars.com/91uv7bkrefin/

Also, the neck has a special treatment that eric does. It's amazing...it's a sanded finish with a light tung oil...feels smoother than a baby's ass...i recommend that anyone get one of their necks like this...it's relatively cheap too! (www.ericsguitars.com)
Man, that's awesome, seriously. I hope it isn't too hard to do though.

Tags
angled jack , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , beautiful guitar , dave weiner , mahogany body , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode