Steinberger? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Steinberger?

Hey guys!!

Just curious what everyone knows about the Steinberger guitars... Are they any good, whats the difference between there trems and floyds? I'm just trying to gather up more information on these guitars. The only thing I know about them is that that Eddie used them on the "Me Wise Magic" track from the greatest hits album. (The 1st one. :-) )

Anyway, see ya all later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: Steinberger?

Well, I've never played one, but I've heard they are good quality, and they are very useful for traveling, since they don't have a headstock.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Steinbergers rule....\m/\m/

If it is the graphite neck you like....you can replace your Ibanez neck with a graphite neck quite easily. I have JS, RG and S guitars all equipped with Moses Graphite necks..
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 03:01 AM

If I were to get a Steinberger it would have to be the trans trem model. Just the ability to put up and down while playing a chord on all strings and have em stay in tune!!

To hear this check out Van Halen 5150 the song Get Up. Eddie uses the trans trem in this song and it's pretty cool to listen too with the full chords and the trem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Reviews: 4

Steinbergers rock. I had one for some time. What you want is a "Newburgh" Steinberger. Those made in the Newburgh factory until about '94 or so. If says "Spirit" on it, you don't want it. Expect to pay a pretty good penny for a Newburgh, I paid $1500 for mine with a Transtrem. Also, Transtrems sell on the evil auction site for $600-$1000 just for the Trem. these things are fantastic, the engineering that went into them is amazing!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 PM

pretty much the only place to get a trans trem for a "reasonable" price is Ed Roman (i know, blasphemy). Spirits aren't nearly as bad as some would say, they are pretty good guitars but won't compare to newburghs. I like steinbergers as studio guitars, they have tuning stability like no other & have a real good sound to them (i prefer the wood body to composite) but I wouldn't use them onstage. I guess that's just an astetics thing for me though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 AM

I had a Spirit before I had my Jem and recently picked it up again.There was a lot to like. Before I bought this one, I tried the "real" Steinbergers and actually preferred this. Go Figure. The Steiny design has a LOT of pluses.

I have a real love/hate relationship with trems. They're a bitch to tune. With the Steinberger bridge you can easily lock it to tune, and you can decided on the fly if you want a fixed bridge or floating. No locking nuts to lock and unlock. Tuners are right there on the bridge. Drop D is a cinch when locked too. If you break a string the guitar won't go out of tune and changing strings is quick!

The guitars are small and light, so if you need a travel guitar you can't go wrong with this design. The sound is fairly neutral. No particular personality so to speak. Through my tube amp, I wasn't overly impressed, but played through Amplitube it sounds great, in some ways better than my Jem!

Somewhere down the line I'm thinking of changing the pickups. Likely a Seymour Duncan SH4 in the bridge, and a Sustainiac on the neck. Then it'll be killer IMO.

Tags
steinberger , transtrem , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode