Steinberger GR4T - Anybody know anything about it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Steinberger GR4T - Anybody know anything about it?

Hi Everybody!

Just got offered a Steinberger GR4T from a friend of a friend for under 500 bucks. I get to go see it tomorrow night, but want to be informed before I check it out. All I could find about the "R" series was on Ed Roman's site, so I don't know how reliable that really is...

The guitar is white and has a Transtrem. That's all I'll know before I get to see it. I don't know if there are EMG's on it, since Ed's site claims the "R" series to be a cheap Korean knockoff. Could this be a Gibson one or not? Is there a way to make sure that it's a Transtrem and not a S-Trem?

What should I know about beforehand, or look for?

Any comments would be appreciated. I'll let you know how it turns out, as well.
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 04:59 PM

Steinberger GR4T

If it's in decent shape, GET IT! *Even if it's in so-so shape, GET IT! *That's a great price for a TransTrem guitar-although I prefer the Strat-bodied GM series. *Still...a very cool toy at a great deal!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Steinberger GR4T

Really? Cool.
But waitasec - I read on Ed's site that the "R" is the same shape as the "M" series. Is that right? So this will hopefully be the Strat-shaped model.

Also, is a Transtrem really that valuable? Is that one of the elements that makes the guitar valuable?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 08:18 PM

Steinberger GR4T

Ah, I finally get to put my Steinberger knowledge to use.

The R series is a "cheaper" version of the M series, and I believe was started in 1988 or 1989, although I can't be fore sure. *The R series is routed for and traditionally comes factory installed with an R - trem and not a Transtrem. *If it really has a Transtrem, then the routing would be different than most R series guitars, and I haven't seen an R series with a factory Transtrem, although it is possible. *While the Transtrem can be a valuable item, my advice is to stay away from it. *Transtrem parts are so hard to come by, you will always end up paying high prices and will most likely be steered to Ed Roman. *I have also played the R - trem, and I like it very much. *It stays in tune, allows a deeper divebomb than the Transtrem, and isn't as high maintenance. *Also, I will add that the Transtrem transposing feature is very difficult to set perfectly, and is only meant for 9-42 gauge double ball-end *calibrated* LaBella strings.

Other than the trem, the only real difference I can think of are the pickups. *The R series uses passive Seymour Duncans as opposed to the active EMG's in the other models. *The EMG's in my GM4T were very hot with little character. *The R series, in my opinion, is the best value by far, because you pay hundreds less and get virtually the same guitar as the ones that sell for $850-$1300. *You can change out the pickups, sell the old ones, and have the sound you are looking for. *However, you still need to play the guitar, because you may not like the Steinbergers. *They have small, narrow carbon/kevlar/fiberglass necks, no headstock, and a small body. *Try it, and if you don't like it, I would LOVE to have it for under $500.

Oh, by the way, they are made in the US..

(Edited by Josh Blagg at 8:21 pm on Aug. 27, 2001)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 02:30 AM

Steinberger GR4T

And if all else fails, check out the "Spirit By Steinberger" guitars @ MusicYo.com. *I was at my guitar tech's place & a guy brought in a the strat-bodied version with a BEAUTIFUL bookmatched flamed maple in Trans. Red model! *We set it up with EXTREMELY low action (either 1/64 or 2/64) & it plays wonderfully. *The guys was a Holdsworth nut. *Don't knock them until you've tried them. *It was a great axe for the money.

(Edited by revsharp777 at 11:31 pm on Aug. 28, 2001)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Steinberger GR4T

Alright! Here's the goods...

The guitar is an original pre-Gibson Steinberger GR4. No Transtrem, only the original R-Trem. The guy had the original papers and I showed him the specs on them -- for his own guitar! Anyhow, I told him it wasn't what I had imagined, as I had mentioned how much I wanted a Transtrem over the phone. So I told him to call me if he can't sell it and would be willing to settle for less. He offered it to me on the spot for 350 US. Ok, I took it.

No fret wear, only the finish has yellowed somewhat. Can anything be done about this?

Thanks everybody!
Eric
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:54 PM

Steinberger GR4T

Geez, I would have *begged* him to let me have it for $400. *The finishes do yellow...the clearcoat I think. *Requires a refinish to get back to white.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:05 AM

Steinberger GR4T

Eric--

Regardless of what trem's on it, if you got a pre-Gibson Steinberger for under 4 bills, you're doing alright! Congrats on the new toy!

I had a GM7T for a couple of years and loved it. Once I became obsessed with the world of Ibanez, though, I didn't play it much, so I eventually traded it for a UV77-MC. It was one sweet ride, tho...

--B
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:25 AM

$350!? I can scarcely believe it :\
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:43 PM

MAN....
I would die to have an Original Steinberger on my collection...
The nice thing (nice might not be proper here...) is that there are no more Steinbergers being made for some years...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 05:16 PM

Actually...there are currently upper-end, USA-made Steinbergers being produced by Gibson, and distributed by www.musicyo.com

http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?...inberger%20USA

They look pretty nice!

I've had a couple of pre-Gibson GM4T's and a GM7T...killer guitars! I love the TransTrem! I definitely hope to add another Steinberger to the collection eventually.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Since that post last year, I have acquired 9 Pre-Gibson graphite Steinbergers and one Klein guitar. All I can say is wow! The GR4 is incredible, the sounds and feel are unmatched by any other brand.

The first time I brought it to band practise, two days after having bought it, my bandmates laughed at the "Karl Lagerfeld" guitar. But when the first song was over, they were just as wide-eyed as myself as to the sound through the Marshall stack. I was convinced. So were they. Now my main guitar with that band is a black GM?TA (Hum-Sing) and it sound absolutely kicking! I had no idea these guitars were so incredible. I fly a lot for my job, a few times a month, and this makes life difficult with my habit of taking a guitar with me all the time. But the Steinbergers fit quite easily into the overhead luggage compartment, they are easy to carry, and -- most importantly -- they are not affected by weather7humidity changes!! The neck is always rock-steady. I can't say enough about graphite Steinbergers.

Anders, if you really are interested in buying one, I might let one of mine go. Drop me a line, I'm next door in Germany quite often...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 04:15 AM

I know the odds are slim but has anyone ever seen an Ibanez modified with a steinberger trem? Eddie Van Halen had a les paul custom he striped and put a transtem on. I thinK he used a floyd lock nut though, and put this bolt system he made in the headstock so he could use standard strings
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:16 PM

>Babahi:

I would love to have one, but I bought an Ibz Paul Gilbert 90Ham this week that I just couldnt put down and I'm my own broke self again now
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:37 PM

Babahi: How do you find the ergonomics of the Klein guitar? I've always thought they made a lot of sense, but i've never seen or played one in person. I've always found Steinbergers to be really innovative and interesting instruments, but being 6'1", i think they'd look odd in my hands.

Tags
eddie van halen , flamed maple , guitar tech , killer guitar , les paul , les paul custom , lock nut , paul gilbert , playing guitar , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , trem guitar , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode