Steinberger R-Trem Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Steinberger R-Trem Question

This goes out to anyone who owns a Steinberger guitar equipped with an R-Trem. This may seem like an elementary question, but it's not obvious to me. Anyways, I know that you can divebomb to hell with an R-Trem, but I want to know if it's possible to raise the pitch by pulling on the bar a-la Steve Vai. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 12:27 PM

sure... and you'll develop awesome muscles in the process!

I just sold a steiny with an r trem b/c of the r trem.
The r trem is increadibly tight. It is really hard to use, IMHO.
I'm used to the traditional ernie ball type trem and this thing was VERY hard to use. I used it always on the locked setting, tried lighter strings, took it apart and oiled everything. I ran into a guy using one in another band one night and asked to check his out... same thing. So, it's not just mine. I've sense read a lot of complaints at www.steinbergerworld.com about the tightness (in the yahoo forum link)
The guitar kills, even fret board... intonation perfect. But the trem is the downfall in my opinion.
Hope that helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 01:45 PM

The R trem is the least desireable Steinberger trem. I had an S, which is the same as a Transtrem, but without the transporsing attachment and it was very good.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 02:48 PM

Yes, my Steiny has an R-Trem. It is way stiffer compared to a traditional Floyd Rose. The reason for the stiffness is due to having one large spring coil being compressed, rather than 3-5 small springs being expanded. It takes some getting used to, but when you factor in all the other innovations (PERFECT intonation, 40:1 tuner ratio, locking bridge feature, etc), it's more than worth it. I just wish they'd make a 7-string version of the Steinberger trem. I'd be in heaven. <drool>
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 11:36 PM

Compared to Edges, all the Steinberger trems are stiff. But the R-Trem is a completely different system than the T and S trems... The R-Trem is the only knife edge trem that you can get from Steinberger.

BTW, saying that the R-Trem was the least desireable trem may imply that it is no good. Quite the contrary, it is an excellent system and works fine. The intonation is incredible and it is a work of art. It just happens to be the cheapest trem from Steinberger.

And honestly, if you can pick up a graphite Steinberger with an R-Trem, it'll kick the butt of any other guitar, except another Steinberger with an S or T trem. They are different than all other guitars...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 06:23 PM

Re: Steinberger R-Trem Question

Can the R-Trem be replaced by T or S tremolo? Would it be hard work?

Tags
edge trem , ernie ball , floyd rose , fret board , locking bridge , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode