Steve Special in a RG3120? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Steve Special in a RG3120?

Hey Guys (and Girls)

Taking ownership of an RG3120fdam in a few days from a trade in at GC. I owned an RG3120TW years ago and always regretted selling it. Thinking of pickups and the only dimarzio I havnt heard is a steves special in the bridge. I have had a crunchlab, super D, Tone Zone, X2n, PafPro I could keep going. Take the fact the 3120 has a maple top and mohogany body, I love the tightness of an 81 or BO but not thier clean tones. Need it more organic but agressive. x2n too one dimensonal, super D too bright or quacky and tone zone too much low end.....lol I know I might be answering my questions here....

Anyone know if the Steves Special is good for metal. Just to show you where my head is at, I know the SS was a pickup petrucci used. Big fan of his. I love all metal (converted my 16 year old to trivium, Old Metallica, Slayer, Opeth)and need something that can give me a great rhytham tone. I find if I can get a good tight and saturated rhytham tone I can dial in a good lead tone through my amp and OD pedal.

Be gentle im new.....lol. Been playing for 20 years and have had more gear than i can count. I am a gear nut and have bought, tried, setup and toyd with everything I have owned. Any opinions is greatly appreciated....

Last edited by py36; 08-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Re: Steve Special in a RG3120?

The SS probably works well with a midrangie amp like the Mesa Mark series...

But I found it dull and lifeless...and I wouldn't call it aggresive at all.

Maybe the D-sonic is what you need. Supposed to be more aggresive than the CL...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Reviews: 11

doesnt get more brutal than the X2N. . . . .that thing could my 25.5" scale guitar tuned to drop A# with .10's hahaha
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 3

i'm a huge fan of the Suhr Aldrich pickup. i have one in a mahogany hamer chap. as a reference, i have 3 rg 520s., which are mahogany, but no maple caps, 2 have sapele. i have emg 89s, dimarzio paf prol, distortion, evo and tone zone in them. maybe its something special with the hamer, but the Aldrich blows em all away imho.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirah View Post
i'm a huge fan of the Suhr Aldrich pickup. i have one in a mahogany hamer chap. as a reference, i have 3 rg 520s., which are mahogany, but no maple caps, 2 have sapele. i have emg 89s, dimarzio paf prol, distortion, evo and tone zone in them. maybe its something special with the hamer, but the Aldrich blows em all away imho.
+1 on this. I have a 3120 with an Aldrich in the bridge, and from the sound of it, our tastes are probably similar. I also have Aldriches in my RGA321, and one of my RG520QS. In terms of widely available pickups, the Aldrich is far and away my favorite for Mahogany/Maple combo.

That being said, I've just purchased several sets of p'ups from a local luthier here, who aside from making AMAZING guitars, also has his own line of pickups, specifically targeted at folks that like their gain, and like their clarity as well, but that Don't like the sterility of EMGs. His prices aren't outlandish - in fact they're very reasonable (ESP since you're getting a handmade, hand wound pup), and they sound phenomenal.

His name is Brett Smith, and his website is http://www.guitar-logistics.com/

I own both the Diablo and The Destroyer pickups (both in Mahogany guitars), and love them both. For a bit more versatility, go with the Diablo, for full on devastation, go with the destroyer. I'd seriously encourage you to consider them in your tone quest.

Take a look at his gorgeous instruments while you're there. All you Ibaheads should check out his Destroyer/Iceman hybrid. Tis a thing of beauty.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:46 PM

The stock Tone Zone in the 3120 sounds perfect IMO. I'm not a huge fan on the Steve's Special and swapped it with a tone zone in my JPM P3. I'll eventually swap it out of my JPM P1 too.

Have you tried a D Activator? I just had two installed in my Jem 7PBK and can't wait to hear how they sound when I get the guitar back.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys. I had a CL installed in a lower end S and an RG prest with basswood and loved the sound. Really gave me the tightness I wanted but was also versatile. I was amazed when i split it and set my amp to a clean channel.
However we all get comfortable at times and I find this as my default replacement and want to venture out further in the world......
To me it sounds like I wont like the SS, anyone have any experience with a Super distortion. I have had heard them in some guitars and they do have a "quack" to them but maybe in the Mahogany body it may be different. Also on the TZ, do fast chugs like on Disposable heros, do they get to muddy. Is there articulation. I love the TZ in a solo/lead environment but for tight rhythams??
I had one in my rg3120 years ago but my memory isnt what it once was........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by py36 View Post
Anyone know if the Steves Special is good for metal
It's very V sounding and clear under heavy distortion.

Tags
dimarzio , rg3120 , steves special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode