Steve Vai Tone? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Steve Vai Tone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Here we go again... Style vs. Tone. Style is in the fingers and tone is mostly in the gear. 2 months isn't a dead thread either, especially for this age-old debate. Me and 6Fingers are going to collaborate on something that proves it....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirled777 View Post
Funny little pictures aren't much of an argument, either. Again, I'll reference the Atomic Punks--every guitarist they've had pretty much nailed Eddie's brown sound. None of them are Eddie, but since their job is as a Van Halen tribute band, they've nailed the sound and style.
Close your eyes and listen to this--you'd be hard pressed to tell if it was classic VH or a tribute band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6i6K...B89FD0C66A7219

post #63 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Funny little pictures aren't much of an argument, either. Again, I'll reference the Atomic Punks--every guitarist they've had pretty much nailed Eddie's brown sound. None of them are Eddie, but since their job is as a Van Halen tribute band, they've nailed the sound and style.
Close your eyes and listen to this--you'd be hard pressed to tell if it was classic VH or a tribute band:
Are you still wasting your time about that?
Trying to explain something to somebody who post pics trying to make your point dumb?
Really?
Spend your time with something serious like why an acrylic guitar has a wood sound?
Oh I know,I know........because tone is in the fingers......wait.............. so it has a flesh(fingers) tone?
So even before digital era guitars were always "digital" (fingerprints)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7vyFnLvjw
post #64 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:26 AM

Reviews: 1

I put a Rockmaster Preamp into the Eleven Rack preset "Volcanic" and got a nice early VH tone with my Schecter. I also got a nice Hagar VH type sound with my Peavey Wolfgang through a Mesa Boogie Quad, using Eleven Rack's effects. I don't think without tube preamps and effects I could get the same tone. At all. These guitars and preamps are just too drastically different from each other.

If you were to say you want Greg Howe or Richie Kotzen's tone, you would REALLY need to let someone know if you meant the debut shred albums or their fusion and blues albums because you can barely tell it's them. Let's get back to that kind of thinking.
post #65 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrendog View Post
I put a Rockmaster Preamp into the Eleven Rack preset "Volcanic" and got a nice early VH tone with my Schecter. I also got a nice Hagar VH type sound with my Peavey Wolfgang through a Mesa Boogie Quad, using Eleven Rack's effects. I don't think without tube preamps and effects I could get the same tone. At all. These guitars and preamps are just too drastically different from each other.

If you were to say want Greg Howe or Richie Kotzen's tone, you would REALY need to let someone know if you meant the debut shred albums or their fusion and blues albums because you can barely tell it's them. Let's get back to that kind of thinking.
...but that's really not the point here.

post #66 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
picture was more of a joke than anything else.

And yeah I just watched/listened to that video. I'm sorry man, that guy has terrible tone compared to EVH. I can't lie, I just don't hear it in that guys playing, compared to EVH. So I listened to other actual EVH videos of the same song.

You can tell there is a big difference between EVH's tone and that guys tone in the video you posted. And I'm not the world's biggest EVH fan, who eats, sleeps, breathes EVH. But the moment the guitarist opened up and started to play, I could tell right away he wasn't even close to EVH.

Like I say, you can throw out example after example of people trying to mimic "insert your guitarist here" tone, I just don't care. It won't change my mind, because I know what I hear with my own ears.

To me, tone is in the hands and your rig only helps to accentuate it. But it's not the source of it.
post #67 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:33 AM

Quote:
...but that's really not the point here.
I thought we were answering how you would get a Steve Vai like tone? Yep there it is. This is an example of how I try to get certain tones. This isn't a thread about not being helpful that everyone is making it into. You have to do more than just try harder with your fingers to make your Shulz Rockman sound like Vai ya know.
post #68 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 AM

and 6Fingers, I've got something just for you.

Enjoy!!!

post #69 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
and 6Fingers, I've got something just for you.

Enjoy!!!

bwahahahahahhahahahaah
post #70 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post

bwahahahahahhahahahaah

Looks like you pegged your meter

post #71 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:46 AM

The lack of respect for the poster, assuming he just has not worked up to being able to generate tones is killing this thread so I thought I would try to add something but everyone has to have the last word and say the same thing again and again as if we are children, it doesn't help anyone. You can't tell much from that video what the tone is at all. You can hear distortion and a phaser. Don't even try to make a judgement on that, that's just silly. You guys will do anything to back up your point, which leads me to believe you have no idea what you are talking about in the grand scheme of things. Professionals that discuss their tone will tell you what strings they think adds to their tone, what amps, pickups, etc. Add some real tips.
post #72 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Looks like you pegged your meter
Yup if my butt hurts it means I'm................emo

Leave.............Brit........ME.........alone hahahahahahhaha
post #73 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
The lack of respect for the poster, assuming he just has not worked up to being able to generate tones is killing this thread so I thought I would try to add something but everyone has to have the last word and say the same thing again and again as if we are children, it doesn't help anyone. You can't tell much from that video what the tone is at all. You can hear distortion and a phaser. Don't even try to make a judgement on that, that's just silly. You guys will do anything to back up your point, which leads me to believe you have no idea what you are talking about in the grand scheme of things. Professionals that discuss their tone will tell you what strings they think adds to their tone, what amps, pickups, etc. Add some real tips.
Whyrendog,

go to the very first page and you'll see that the OP started this thread back in 12-28-2001<--------!!!! and it happily died sometime in Jan. of 2002 but now it's back!!

If in 10 years he hasn't figured it out yet, I don't think we're going to be of much help.

It's called a zombie thread, and I love to pile on zombie threads.
post #74 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Professionals that discuss their tone will tell you what strings they think adds to their tone, what amps, pickups, etc. Add some real tips.
Yep.
I never saw Vai/Satch/Malmsten whoever saying hey my tone is in my fingers.
When you ask them about their tone they always start talking about their gear.
Everytime I was playing and somebody said he loved my tone I always pointed to my gear and said he could have the same tone.
post #75 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nobody in here was slamming or namecalling until you decided to throw in you nonhelpful two cents. We were arguing, tactfully, two sides of the age-old debate that will never be answered in a manner everyone "gets." I made a few examples, and if you bothered to read the past few pages--would have seen others do the same. Nothing you replied with added anything to it other than mild flamming. If you don't like the thread or replies, then go over to UG in the Pit section where other folks act like that.
Oh, and Swirled--I did get a good natured laugh out of the Cage pic and Butthurt form.....sorry 6, but that was a little funny...

Tags
alder body , amp settings , amp tone , basswood body , bogner ecstacy , modded marshall , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , steve vai , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode