Steve Vai Tone? - Page 8 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Steve Vai Tone?

When people are talking about tone, as I understand it, they're actually talking about timbre.

If you provide a spectral analysis of any given "rig" you'll see that everything involved influences the spectrum that comes out at the end.

But from a dumb guitarist's point of view. A vintage Tele into a fender twin set as clean as it gets compared to a Les Paul into a cranked Diezel on its dirtiest channel? Play one note on the open A string, let it decay past the initial attack and tone; still in the fingers?

Or on any given rig, play gentley up over the neck, or aggresive by the bridge, again tone; still in the gear?

Bit of both gents, bit of both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Reviews: 11

barring the other 144 notes, those 6, yes you are correct... but at the same point, the intensity, angle, and time to strike those notes still alters it...
post #108 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:22 AM

DareIbanez back on page 7 is so right.

We all know that Steve Vai does actually have magical fingers which shoot out magical fairy guitar dust when he plays, but hey thats just his awesome technique, the whole circular motion vibrato thing, all that. Although the Administrator of this website just posted a few posts back that Tone IS in the fingers, I still strongly disagree. If I pick up Vai's Evo Jem all ready and plugged into his rig and gear, and play that classic opening riff from For the Love of God; I am going to sound 90% like Vai. Hell, while I'm at it I'll use the exact same pick and strap that he uses, hey, why don't I dress up like Vai while I'm at it? Will I sound even more like Vai then?

To all the people saying tone is in the fingers, here's a theory:
Go find Mr. Vai, chop off his index finger (preferably without him noticing), then try fretting a note on your JEM. Do you sound like Steve Vai now? Oh darn it, all that trouble and you don't, do you?
post #109 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

This thread became pretty rediculous. No amount of fingering or technique is going to make a muddy sound, sound clear. Sure the way you play a note can't determine a certain tone that makes the player unique, but if your amp is thin and shrill, your tone will be too. If your amp is think or muddy, so will your tone. Zack Wylde has that heavy handed / strong hand sound that folks with small hands probably have a hard time gettting. Vai goes for a saturated, softened high end, not too crunch with focus on the lower mids. It workes well for instrumentals and soloing. If he used that tone for Metallica songs it would get by, but not with the same percussive attack that is needed for that style and vs versa. Kirk Hammet's sounds would not have the same smoothness of attack that is heard on For The Love Of God. It would sound a little too in your face and raspy. However Kirks tone works great for his style.

Tags
alder body , amp settings , amp tone , basswood body , bogner ecstacy , modded marshall , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , steve vai , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode