Steve Vais Crossroads strat - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Steve Vais Crossroads strat

THis link is to a site that has the Strat vai used as a stage prop in crossroads. I thought you guys might be interested in this thing. This guy has some cool guitars as well, but hes way overpriced

http://www.jcguitars.com/starvai.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:19 AM

I got a sticker like that on my trundle bed when we moved from Gettysburg to Lake Tahoe (South Shore).

:-)
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:32 AM
Vendor

Anybody else find it strange it has no "history" for the last, oh, 15 years?!?!
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:47 AM

i read somewhere he never owned the guitar he actually played on the movie. no reason to believe this was his either, so this is just a terribly overpriced 80's strat copy.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

This one he Owned I think. As far as if he used the thing or not well read the first line QUOTE"This was more of a stage prop for Steve more so then the one that he played"UNQUOTE .As far as the red charvel he played who knows what happened to it. He used green meanie to record his parts so either way, the film was all charvel. Anyway, he did request that the original neck on this guitar be put on another instrument he was using. Any guess as to which one maybe? Heres another link of interest. This cat has one of randy rhoads so called guitars as well.

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.com
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 05:08 AM

that is NOT the guitar Vai (Jack Butler) was using in Crossroads.

the guitar we all saw in crossroads was a red rear-routed, maple fretboard, dual humbucker superstrat with an all black charvel/jackson-style headstock.

this guitar is just a red strat with floyd and charvel neck. itīs not even close! the only thing this guitar has in common with the crossroads charvel/jackson is the finish and the floyd!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 06:43 AM

I did business with this guy once and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. I don't buy it...
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 09:53 AM

It's been a while since I watched that movie, but I don't remember Steve playing a "Strat".

I have always remembered it being a "Jackson".
In fact, when I was in California visiting my dad, we went to the Jackson Custom shop for a tour. I asked then if the guitar used by Steve was a custom that they built for him. They said no, it wasn't built "for" him, but they did build it. They also told me that the VPs at Jackson required him to remove the Jackson logo because they didn't the company associated in any way with the "Devil"....

Anyway, that was about 6 years ago...and my memory isn't quite what it used to be.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 11:05 AM

Exactly correct. I was told Steve showed up and the guitar was ready for him when he got there. Jackson did make a point of adding excessive coats to the finish to create the boldest, "devilish" red finish.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:00 PM

I think you guys mis-read the page. It says he didn't actually play this guitar in the movie... it was propped up against an amp in the background. It was a prop.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:06 PM
EKG

Yup

"This was more of a stage prop for Steve more so then the one that he played. If you remember or go back and see the movie, next to his Carvin half stack on the right hand side of the stage, this guitar is sitting next to the amp."
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:51 PM

FYI - The actual sparkle red guitar that Steve played in the movie is/was at the Houston Hard Rock Cafe (it was there for years). They have a Jem10 up for him now.
Out,
GP
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

ITs a stage prop. Not THE Guitar I know my instruments people. I dont think he owned this one either but he was good friends with Wayne charvel and the boys, and he probably did take the neck (it would be wild if that neck was one he had put on green meanie I beleive the original was maple as well). Anyways he recorded all the parts with Green Meanie anyhow.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 04:06 PM

The original Green Meanie was not put together out of spare parts. In fact this very site details the history of the Green Meanie
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 04:39 PM

Come to think of it, that Charvel logo looks really recent... didn't the older Charvel logos have the angled Jackson-style headstock, rather than a 3+3 design? I wonder if any of the Charvel sites have a history of the Charvel logo treatment.

Tags
angled jack , custom shop , darren wilson , eric johnson , flamed maple , fret board , headstock shape , jack butler , jackson custom shop , jackson soloist , les paul , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck pickup , pointy headstock , randy rhoads , steve vai , strat style , strat style guitar , string tree , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode