Stink help. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Stink help.

Hey all.

I was browsing my local towns Classified Ads section the other day when I came across a Ibanez RG with a flame maple top. (RG320FM - orange one, in case anybody is wondering) Offered with this guitar was a beautiful hard shell case too.

I know this guitar isn't anything amazing qualitywise, but the finish and feel of the guitar itself is gorgeous, and was in perfect condition. It was very similar to the Ibanez that I had first learned to play on way back in high-school, but was forced to sell during college during a rough patch. Blah blah, I could ramble about my life story and reason for wanting the guitar, but who cares. Although not a Prestige quality (as I would have liked) this guitar felt very similar to the original Ibby I had learned to play on, so all-in-all, I couldn't pass it up. Added to that, living up in a small town in Northern Canada, it's not like there's were many ads ever posted for musical instruments, much less any Ibanez's. So I decided to scoop it up, and use it until the day I could save up and order a new guitar from Rich.

When I got home and opened up the case, I was punched in the face with some rank pet odors. When I went to look at the guitar originally, the guy had like 3 big dogs and at least a dozen cats, so naturally I wasn't surprised when his house was smelling less-than powder fresh. From what I can tell, the smell is primarily coming from the case. Fibers/padding inside are likely holding onto most of the odor, although the outside smells pretty bad too; it smells like he tried to use some Lysol spray or something to clean it first, as now it not only has that pet smell, but a hint or floral something-or-other too, with the added bonus of a lubed up exterior.

I've wiped the guitar down with a cloth, and have it sitting in the center of my living room, hoping the smell will dissipate. The case, I have standing open on-end in the bathtub with bathroom door closed. I'm hoping it'll sort of air-out, although I'm pretty sure I'll have to do something more.

I'm guessing the guitar case was stored in close proximity to a litter box or something.

Does anybody have any good tips about what I can/should do, as well as safe products/methods to use on either the guitar or case to help remove the awful smell!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 AM

Re: Stink help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon66 View Post
Hey all.

I was browsing my local towns Classified Ads section the other day when I came across a Ibanez RG with a flame maple top. (RG320FM - orange one, in case anybody is wondering) Offered with this guitar was a beautiful hard shell case too.

I know this guitar isn't anything amazing qualitywise, but the finish and feel of the guitar itself is gorgeous, and was in perfect condition. It was very similar to the Ibanez that I had first learned to play on way back in high-school, but was forced to sell during college during a rough patch. Blah blah, I could ramble about my life story and reason for wanting the guitar, but who cares. Although not a Prestige quality (as I would have liked) this guitar felt very similar to the original Ibby I had learned to play on, so all-in-all, I couldn't pass it up. Added to that, living up in a small town in Northern Canada, it's not like there's were many ads ever posted for musical instruments, much less any Ibanez's. So I decided to scoop it up, and use it until the day I could save up and order a new guitar from Rich.

When I got home and opened up the case, I was punched in the face with some rank pet odors. When I went to look at the guitar originally, the guy had like 3 big dogs and at least a dozen cats, so naturally I wasn't surprised when his house was smelling less-than powder fresh. From what I can tell, the smell is primarily coming from the case. Fibers/padding inside are likely holding onto most of the odor, although the outside smells pretty bad too; it smells like he tried to use some Lysol spray or something to clean it first, as now it not only has that pet smell, but a hint or floral something-or-other too, with the added bonus of a lubed up exterior.

I've wiped the guitar down with a cloth, and have it sitting in the center of my living room, hoping the smell will dissipate. The case, I have standing open on-end in the bathtub with bathroom door closed. I'm hoping it'll sort of air-out, although I'm pretty sure I'll have to do something more.

I'm guessing the guitar case was stored in close proximity to a litter box or something.

Does anybody have any good tips about what I can/should do, as well as safe products/methods to use on either the guitar or case to help remove the awful smell!

Thanks in advance.
I had a problem like this too... I ended up taking all the plush out, and washing it with laundry detergent. The foam that was inside the case got bleached. Then I just glued everything back together, and it's fine now.

I don't think it'll air out any time soon.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 AM

http://www.febreze.ca/en_CA/home.do
Just turn your speakers off before you click the link! I've used their fabric fresheners before for similar problems (though not as bad as the one you are describing)!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM

You can try a few dryer sheets in your case. It might not get all the smell out, but I tried it on a stinky case once and it helped quite a bit. Not sure if it's absorbing or masking the smell.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely give those a shot.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:52 PM

what about some of that carpet magic powder stuff? get the one that says odor neutralizer. throw a ton in there, let it soak, then vacuum it out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 PM

If the cats peed in it try white vinegar.

Tags
odor , smell , stink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode