Stock pickups got to go......... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Stock pickups got to go.........

Ive been TRYING to like these pickups in my Ibanez Prestige RG 1550M,ive tried different heights and different adjustments and still not liking them,so any suggestions,i play alot of early Van halen,my other strats(Warmoth parts guitars) which are made of northern ash(hard ash)have seymour Duncan 59 pickups in them,has anyone used Duncan 59 pickups in there 1550m guitars,basswood and hard ash are completely different woods im just wondering how they would sound or would i have to go with alittle more output in the pickup since basswood tends to be soft and might damper the output of a lower output pickup like the duncan 59,the duncan 59 sound great in my ash body strat but how would they sound in basswood,i looked at the discribtion of the Duncan custom 5(SH14)which is a higher output version of the duncan 59 same treble-mids-bass of the duncan 59,i thought about putting that pickup(duncan custom 5 SH14) in the bridge postion of my 1550m,anyway any thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Re: Stock pickups got to go.........

I have the Custom 5 in my purple J Custom and it sounds amazing as it came with that stock. Now...that guitar is a mahog body with a maple top so I don't know how it would work with basswood. It would probably be great regardless....Just a clear and powerful sounding pickup all around.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:12 AM

Re: Stock pickups got to go.........

yeah, if you are used to a guitar with nice tonewoods like ash and mahogany, basswood is truly a disappointment. basswood is so neutral that it becomes all about pickup selection to coax the type of tone you want out of a guitar. since you are familiar with the 59 in ash(which is odd...warmer sounding vintage output pickup in the brightest of all guitar woods), you must be familiar with really aggressive mids and a smooth bottom with a sizzly top. if you want to try to get the same type of tone with a duncan in basswood, the jb will get you there. my personal favorite duncan bridge hum is the custom sh-5/tb-5. like a jb, but just a bit tighter and meaner. don't have that pickup in basswood, though, just alder and ash. i do have a duncan distortion in basswood and it sounds awesome, but may be a bit too agressive for what you're used to hearing. pretty damn bright, but with a ceramic magnet harshness that can be a blessing or a curse depending on POV. my favorite pickup in basswood is by far the dimarzio super 3. very balanced and aggressive. it basically makes basswood a bit more like mahogany, but with a little scoop in the mids. not much, but makes it act a bit tighter than a sizzly mid forward pickup like the jb or super distortion.

rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode