Stock V7 and V8 replacement question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Stock V7 and V8 replacement question

hi, i guess this is kind of a two part question.

1) What is the main different between the V7 and V8 pickups? Can you put the V8 in the neck position? Should you?

2) The reason is, i plan on getting a more powerful bridge pickup, and am wondering if i can move the V8 up to the neck if it is better. Also, the two pups i am looking at are the Dimarzio Evolution and the Seymour Duncan Invader. Does anyone have a preference or know any key differences beween them?

Thanks Any comments and advise would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Re: Stock V7 and V8 replacement question

The neck and bridge pickups are balanced and if you put a bridge PU in the neck probably will be too loud..

Be carefull, if you want to put a EVO on 1570 you will need to do some routing.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Lots of guys on this board have added Dimarzio pickups to their guitars without routing. I have done the same several times.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub_800 View Post

Be carefull, if you want to put a EVO on 1570 you will need to do some routing.
LOL!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
Lots of guys on this board have added Dimarzio pickups to their guitars without routing. I have done the same several times.
some guys have had the same problem, the evo is very tall and the pup route is not deep enough, tone zone for example is not as tall as the evo and should fit
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 AM

Funny I've seen plenty of 1570's with Evo's that never needed any modifications. Perhaps there was a bad run of CNC bodies.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 AM

I have a 1570 with a Duncan Invader in the bridge position. It fit no problems, and it's way taller than the EVO.

The Invader has a thick, crunchy tone with alot of bass and bottom mids. Alot of people find it too muddy for their tastes. It's one of the hottest passive pickups on the market, and wasn't made with clean tones in mind. Apparently James Hetfield used one on the Master Of Puppets album.

The EVO is nearly as hot, but alot sharper. It sounds way more focused, and has alot more emphasis on the upper mids and the treble, and although it still has a full, punchy bass, the Invader sounds alot bigger and fatter. When it comes to clean tones, it's no vintage strat pickup, but it's way more versatile than the Invader. Some people describe the EVO as being too sharp, but when it comes to cutting through the mix it can't be beat.

If you want a chunky death metal riffing style tone, go with the Invader, but if you want a tighter, cutting tone more suited for leads check out the EVO.

Before you make your mind up, please note that i've read more than a few reviews saying that neither pickup is suited for basswood. Personally, i'm happy with my 1570 with Invader, so each to their own.

Hope this helped.

Rock on!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Reviews: 21

I had an Evo in my 1570. It was a pain getting in because of the spacer pad and the way the wire was sitting. Once it was in it was fine. It was a bit too high-end for my tastes on that guitar so I switched it out with a Tone Zone.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM

It was strange to me too but it's true. Mine is a 2008 1570. Maybe only aplies to the newer models. I'm not the only one who had this problem http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...light=evo+tall
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Funny I've seen plenty of 1570's with Evo's that never needed any modifications. Perhaps there was a bad run of CNC bodies.
My 1570 would not take and Evo without routing. I know of others who were able to drop it right in, but I can tell you for a fact that some 1570s will need routing for and Evo.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Lets work out when they changed the routing. Mine was a 2006 model (early 2006 if that makes a difference), and it takes an Invader. I've had an Evo2 in it in the past.

Was year were the ones that had a shallower rout?

Rock on!

Last edited by HeavyMetal4Ever; 07-07-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: made a mistake?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 PM

What about the EVO2? Is that just as tall as the EVO? I'm eventually going to replace the stock pups in my 1570 also, but I'd prefer not to do any routing.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
My 1570 would not take and Evo without routing. I know of others who were able to drop it right in, but I can tell you for a fact that some 1570s will need routing for and Evo.
How much does routing cost?...and where can i get it done?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM

There really are no thing as neck or bridge pickups, there all just the pickups.
Meaning that there is noting different in one or the other that makes it a specific neck or bridge pickup. The reason to call them one or the other is that is to help people chose pups, that this model in the bridge goes well with that model in the neck or this model was designed to work well with that model.
For example, most people use Air Norton as a neck pickup together with a stronger bridge pickup. But Air Norton is a great bridge pickup too, combined with an Air Classic or something like that and it is a killer bridge pickup.

The only thing most people want is a stronger bridge pickup then neck, but not even that is a must (look at loads of old teles with a humbucker in the neck and a singlecoil in the bridge). I also want my pickups to match EQ wise, so the difference between positions isn’t too bog, or it just gets very hard to get a balanced sound from your amp.

But the V8 would work great in neck position (even if I would have left the V7 there, because I don’t want or need the extra output and fatter EQ there, it just gets muddy and lacks dynamics to me).

Good luck with you pickup hunt.
I would go for the EVO if I were you and EVO2 if I were me :-)
No, then I would go for a Breed.

/Magnus

Tags
bridge pickups , dimarzio , dimarzio evo , dimarzio pickup , duncan , duncan invader , seymour , stock , tone zone , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode